ISM vs my rear

TheBritishTwit

Hi All 

Trust you are all well?

I have a TT bike with a Fizik Tritone 5.5 saddle and during my last 70.3 tri, I managed to get to 40 to 45 km before I lost the ability to feel any of my tender bit and possibly loose the ability to have little ones so before I do another long tri I started looking around to purchase another saddle.

I spoke with a few tri mates and they seem to swear by ISM saddles with a lot of them recommending the ISM Adamo saddle. 

So the questions I have are as follows:

1. I have a sit bone size of 110 mm and on some site they say add 20 mm and others add up to 35 mm. I have managed to find an Adamo second hand in really good shape (on Bikehub and have seen it in person) however the saddle is 130 mm. Is that the correct size for my rear?

2. Are ISM saddles as good as they say and should I go with the Adamo or rather choose another ISM/Other brand saddle instead?

Thanks 

I so had the wrong idea reading the header as ism is sort for "in sy m@&r".???? Had the same problem with 50km+ rides on my bike, they recommended a 142mm saddle but that did not solve the problem, so I went even wider and with good flex in the middle and so far so good.

I am on a HT though, I know on a tt bike you are basically laying on your softies so not sure if this would help.

I had the adamo attack on my tt bike and I loved it so much I moved it to my road bike when I got a new tt bike and then bought myself the the new ISM PN1.0.  It is the same saddle just renamed to follow the new naming conventions they have decided on.  

Have not had any numbness or hot spots on any of my long rides or either of the full ironman races I have done, so I would go for it.

Edited by lurkerza

I’ve had an adomo on my Tri and road bike for about 5 years, it’s a good saddle.

Ultimately you need to take the leap and try it out and see if it works for you.

One thing I found was that it was a bit to wide at the front tip end, fixed it by tightening a large cable tie around the front of the seat rails which made it a few mm narrower at the tip.

Had the Adamo Attack, then the Podium, preferred the Attack as the Podium felt too wide at the front, now have the Fizik Mistica.

Had no complaints about the Attack and did 2 full's with it, only changed because I sold the bike and got another which had the Podium.  Change to the Fizik as could not get comfy with the Podium.

I have tried the ISM Adamo, it does help with numbness, but is a bit wide in front. You can also try lowering your seat, I found personally the numbness is caused by sliding too far forward, lower seat would make you sit back on the seat and take the weight on your sit bones instead of the forward area. Lower seat does not cause power loss, I ride rollers a lot and can see putting the seat one cm lower makes no difference to average speed over an hour, but a big difference to comfort levels.