Merlin Cycles

Darko

Hey guys, anyone have any feedback with regards to ordering and delivering from Merlin Cycles? 

I've searched a few threads, but none actually mention experience or any extra duties etc.

Keen on ordering SPD pedals & shoes which works out to about a solid R600 cheaper than the local cheapest alternative. 

order from there alot. 

they ship using UPS so you will bypass SAPO and have your stuff within a few days at your door. UPS is a flat rate of R450 though so make it worth it.

Great service.

duties  are 0% on bike parts. this varies for other things like clothing and helmets etc.

you'll just pay a small % to UPS for customs clearance.

the formula is a bit more involved but a good quick way to see what it will cost landed (excluding shipping) is price on site in rands +25% (15% vat + ±10% admin fees) remember to set the site/shipping destination to SA to get the UK vat free prices

Edited by morneS555

Thanks gents. Appreciate the feedback. 

I don't think shoes will fall into clothing, so hopefully I'm safe with the flat delivery fee.

Thanks gents. Appreciate the feedback. 

I don't think shoes will fall into clothing, so hopefully I'm safe with the flat delivery fee.

I would double check that - I think shoes do fall into clothing and attract fairly hefty duty

if it bolts to your bike....it is usually duty free. (bike parts, tires, computers, lights etc,)

if it bolts onto you...it usually counts as clothing and its crazy expensive...like 50-70% duties.

I would double check that - I think shoes do fall into clothing and attract fairly hefty duty

Merlin are great but be aware that shoes attract significant duties which will be charged and must be paid before you can take delivery

Ah poop. Ok, I'll do some quick mafs and see what it will come down to in the end.

Can't fault service although there's always a first time.

Worst case for me was a two week wait over the festive season.

Not too sure about shoes but have ready of hefty taxes.

That said, sometimes their prices are so good that it's still worth it.

Can't fault service although there's always a first time.

Worst case for me was a two week wait over the festive season.

Not too sure about shoes but have ready of hefty taxes.

That said, sometimes their prices are so good that it's still worth it.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. 

With the shoes, pedals, shipping and duties, they're still cheaper than just the shoes locally. 

That's what I'm trying to figure out. 

With the shoes, pedals, shipping and duties, they're still cheaper than just the shoes locally. 

Heading 6404.11.90(8) on the Customs & Excise Tariff document from SARS.  30% or 20% depending where it is from.

I paid 20% for a pair of five ten shoes I bought from CRC in 2017.

shoes and helmets fall in the clothes department, and do incur a heavy duty .

i learnt this the hard way ............. in the end it would have been cheaper for me to  buy local