Upgraded from 27.5 to 29 and struggling with fit

Kamin Taute

Hi Hubbers

I had a 2014 Scott Spark Dual Sus 710 27.5 Medium frame top tube 539 + 70 stem. I recently upgraded to a 2017 Merida Dual Sus 96.800 29er Medium frame which seems the incorrect frame size which I found post bike fit.

I am female 1.68m tall. Trying to find the ideal setup on a light weight alloy bike. The top tubes seem to be much longer than before and even with a shorter stem my optimal setup can not be achieved.

Thanks for your advice. I wanna ensure I get this right as it is becoming a costly activity.

Edited by Kamin Taute

ignore the wheelsize. it doesn't make the bike faster. I suggest you go back to basics. Which measurements work for you and find a frame that allows those measurements to fit with reasonable sized components. You may find that there is a 29er that works or you may find yourself back on 650B. Either way, a well fitting comfortable bike is going to inspire more confidence and make you faster

The wheel size is irrelevant, its the different geometry of the 2 frames. Size "medium" can vary quite a bit between manufacturers, and the top tube in this case is probably quite different. What length stem were you running on the old bike and how short of a stem did you try on the new one? Bikes feel different, you might just need to get used to the new one for a bit.

@Jacoo

Scott top tube was 539 with 70 stem

On Merida top tube 590 with 50 stem

Apparently Scott medium is 17" and Merida medium is bigger.

Thanks for all the input.

Edited by Kamin Taute

The merida is a much bigger bike. You need to find a frame with top tube around 540mm to 560mm.

At 168cm tall you should be in the small size range but if you're all legs then you may need to be on a xs.

depends on your build.

Also compare the reach figures rather than the top tube only.

Edited by DieselnDust

Small frame would suit you better. Us your seat level higher or lower than your handle bars currently? Try test the same bike with a small frame, maybe they can swop for you.

@Jacoo

Scott top tube was 539 with 70 stem

On Merida top tube 590 with 50 stem

Apparently Scott medium is 17" and Merida medium is bigger.

Thanks for all the input.

yeah, theres your problem. 51mm difference in top tube, and 20mm in stem. so 31mm longer reach even with the 50 stem. shortest possible stem is 35mm which could be an option, and moving your seat all the way forward. otherwise get the small if you can still swop.

Small frame would suit you better. Us your seat level higher or lower than your handle bars currently? Try test the same bike with a small frame, maybe they can swop for you.

Hi, my seat is higher than the handle bars currently. I will try a small frame thank you.

yeah, theres your problem. 51mm difference in top tube, and 20mm in stem. so 31mm longer reach even with the 50 stem. shortest possible stem is 35mm which could be an option, and moving your seat all the way forward. otherwise get the small if you can still swop.

Thanks Jacoo. Will give a 35 stem a try or switch to small frame. 

Hi, my seat is higher than the handle bars currently. I will try a small frame thank you.

it sounds like you might be long legged and shorter torso/armed? this, paired with this trend with longer reach frame geometry makes it extra difficult to get a good fit if you are long legged....because the seat tubes, stack and headtubes tend to be short too these days. Bikes are unfortunately not one size fits all no matter what everyone here says. one 168cm person might fit a XS, S and the other a M.  I have the same problem. on modern bikes my height (197cm) dictates XL and up in almost anything bike related....but in reach I'm closer to L.

i agree that youshould atleast try a small and see if you can make setup work on it. 35mm stem on a medium with the seat forward is not a proper solution (on that bike). it will ride like crap.

Edited by morneS555

it sounds like you might be long legged and shorter torso/armed? this, paired with this trend with longer reach frame geometry makes it extra difficult to get a good fit if you are long legged....because the seat tubes, stack and headtubes tend to be short too these days. Bikes are unfortunately not one size fits all no matter what everyone here says. one 168cm person might fit a XS, S and the other a M.  I have the same problem. on modern bikes my height (197cm) dictates XL and up in almost anything bike related....but in reach I'm closer to L.

i agree that youshould atleast try a small and see if you can make setup work on it. 35mm stem on a medium with the seat forward is not a proper solution (on that bike). it will ride like crap.

As opposed to us who have the upper body and arms of a basketball player and the legs of a 4 year old... (AKA shaped like a primate).

Finally, after all these years, factory bikes make sense to my body type!

If it's a 'race' bike you don't want to be running a 35mm stem on it. If it's a trail bike cool, but not an XCO/XCM bike. 

Rather get a bike that fits you as opposed to trying to fit on the bike.

Also, 650b to 29 is not an 'upgrade'.... just a change

Hi Hubbers

I had a 2014 Scott Spark Dual Sus 710 27.5 Medium frame top tube 539 + 70 stem. I recently upgraded to a 2017 Merida Dual Sus 96.800 29er Medium frame which seems the incorrect frame size which I found post bike fit.

I am female 1.68m tall. Trying to find the ideal setup on a light weight alloy bike. The top tubes seem to be much longer than before and even with a shorter stem my optimal setup can not be achieved.

Thanks for your advice. I wanna ensure I get this right as it is becoming a costly activity.

You sure about that Scott sizing? Top tube lengths (horizontal) are usually in the 590 - 610 mm range for size medium frames. That looks like S or XS sizing.

Move your saddle all the way forward and see if it helps a bit. Then try a shorter stem. Do note that a shorter stem will require wider bars, which kinda offsets the decreased reach.

Edited by stefmeister

As opposed to us who have the upper body and arms of a basketball player and the legs of a 4 year old... (AKA shaped like a primate).

Finally, after all these years, factory bikes make sense to my body type!

If it's a 'race' bike you don't want to be running a 35mm stem on it. If it's a trail bike cool, but not an XCO/XCM bike. 

Rather get a bike that fits you as opposed to trying to fit on the bike.

Also, 650b to 29 is not an 'upgrade'.... just a change

The struggle is real. At 1.73 I feel quite comfy on a large frame, but can't fit a decent length dropper post. At least manufacturers are starting to make shorter and straighter seat tubes.

You sure about that Scott sizing? Top tube lengths (horizontal) are usually in the 590 - 610 mm range for size medium frames. That looks like S or XS sizing.

Move your saddle all the way forward and see if it helps a bit. Then try a shorter stem. Do note that a shorter stem will require wider bars, which kinda offsets the decreased reach.

You're right. The 2014 Scott Spark 700 series (650b version) has a 599mm top tube, as confirmed by their geo sheet. So the measurements are the same. Maybe it's the saddle position that's different?