Commuting from Kloof to Westville. Have I got a screw loose?

Salty Biker

It's sad that Durban roads for the most part aren't very cycling friendly. There was a time when I rode my bicycle to university in Westville, but I was living in Westville at the time, but even so I found the roads narrow and stuck to sidewalks mostly

I grew up in Richards Bay and rode my bicycle to my holiday job, rain and shine, everyday. I loved it. The roads in Richards Bay are a lot wider than in Durban

I miss riding to work, hence why I asked this question. Maybe I should move...

I rode from the city to Durban North and back daily in my youth - no helmet.  Then parked my bike in the bike shed which was jam packed so you had to get your spot early.  I did this for high school because I could beat the bus and get in the surf before my mates.

Even rode to Westville on occasion to visit a young lady who dumped me for a dude with a motorbike.  

Roads were safer then but the women were still dangerous

DONT DO IT !!

i recently moved to Kloof and sometimes on the weekends ride into Dbn, but definitely wouldn't do it in peak traffic.

As everyone mentioned already, way too dangerous especially coming up fields. Chances of being taken out around one the blind corners are VERY high.

I road up Fields on a Sunday morning, the shoulder is bad with lots of overgrowth, glass etc.

We came up the M13 last Friday, was quite surprised to see a number of commuter cyclists between Kloof and Gillits area..

We came up the M13 last Friday, was quite surprised to see a number of commuter cyclists between Kloof and Gillits area..

There is yes, and riding between Kloof and Gillits isn't really bad. Actually between Kloof and Hillcrest is fine.

There is yes, and riding between Kloof and Gillits isn't really bad. Actually between Kloof and Hillcrest is fine.

Is it legal to cycle on M13?

What about Stander road through New Germany onto Rodger Sishi?

I thought of that, but not too confident in the crime safety aspect of cycling that route as I would have to skirt some neighborhoods where I'd feel a bit uncomfortable, hence why I thought using the M13 would be safer from a crime point of view

I used to take the m13 until the m7, then hook on to the bridge by Mustek to get on to Underwood road. That, or go through Wyebank and New Germany, then into Pinetwon that way. Wouldn't do either route, now. 

Aye this section is extremely dodgy almost at any time. We often trained on the M13 then, when MTB started, ride to Giba, before Giba was a bike park, ride through the old quarries and to St Heliers and Hillcrest which you can still do (duh). On the M13, you can get off and lift your bike across the guard rail at the Paradise Valley Nature reserve then cycle past the Blood Bank turn off but you still have the Stapleton Road ramp roulette to play but you avoid having to cross all that traffic.

I have been known to still dawdle along the M13 but it has a narrow shoulder, often overgrown, speeding drivers who see the 1.5m safe passing distance as an absolute maximum. But there is still the odd hardy commuter and training cyclist.

To miss Fields Hill you could maybe go into Pinetown/New Germany then up past the waste disposal site (garden refuse in bins only now). It was a gravel road and in a dodgy area as noted.

Kloof to Westville - possible (downhill) but dangerous. Westville to Kloof; aikona; death wish stuff.

Is it legal to cycle on M13?

not sure, but all the side roads are good enough to move between these area's.

Presume you smoked your breakfast this morning. Cycling on the M13 would be pretty nuts, but Fields Hill would be suicide

????????????

I rode from the city to Durban North and back daily in my youth - no helmet.  Then parked my bike in the bike shed which was jam packed so you had to get your spot early.  I did this for high school because I could beat the bus and get in the surf before my mates.

Even rode to Westville on occasion to visit a young lady who dumped me for a dude with a motorbike.  

Roads were safer then but the women were still dangerous

Those Westville ladies were so picky. Did you start riding out to the Bluff eventually?

You could commute (suggested: on a hardtail MTB) , as has been suggested, from Old Main Road in Kloof, along Pioneer Rd, turning right into Wyebank Road then right into Glamis Rd.

All the way down along Sander Rd. 

Left into the main intersection into Regent and right into Chelsea Ave. (This will be a busy section).

Then Eskom Road to Josiah Gumede (Old Main Rd.) Nip through the Caltex garage and miss the intersection. 

Head up Cowies Hill and take the pavement on the right hand side after Prospect Rd. (I have ridden the pavement on MTB and road bike) 

At the top stay on the pavement - its a little uneven but rideable on a MTB (avoiding pedestrians).

Further down Cowies you can move back onto the road when you can keep up with the traffic.

You can either move onto the M13 for the final stretch...the new surface and wide enough yellow line is acceptable. Your return home is more or less the same route but you can take some residential road through New Germany instead of the steep, narrow and busier Glamis Rd.

Good luck, give it a try and then decide whether it is do-able.

Edited by robbybzgo

A flashing front white strobe light and two red rear lights or one potent one is a minimum requirement. Wear highly visible clothing and wait up on the side of the road if you hear trucks/busses approaching from the rear, especially along Eskom Road.

Edited by robbybzgo