Commuting from Kloof to Westville. Have I got a screw loose?

Salty Biker

Hi all. Was wondering if it's a good idea to commute to work by bicycle from Kloof to Westville? I would have to go down the entire notorious Field Hill in the morning and come back up about 1/3 of the way after work in the afternoon, where I can take a side road back into kloof instead of going up the whole hill. I'm aware that I'm not allowed to ride on a highway, however it's the safest option for me

I'm probably a bit stupid for thinking of doing it?

Hi all. Was wondering if it's a good idea to commute to work by bicycle from Kloof to Westville? I would have to go down the entire notorious Field Hill in the morning and come back up about 1/3 of the way after work in the afternoon, where I can take a side road back into kloof instead of going up the whole hill. I'm aware that I'm not allowed to ride on a highway, however it's the safest option for me

Don’t even think about it. Edited by Benjamin

Presume you smoked your breakfast this morning. Cycling on the M13 would be pretty nuts, but Fields Hill would be suicide

you just have to type 'Fields Hill' into google and hit images to see why it is a bad idea. no need to even say Pinetown...thats how infamous it is. 

No

No

No

No

No

I have seen guys riding the n3 in the inchanga area, not well at all.

Time for the next thread, this one is done with.

Edited by BMXER

I used to do it back home from school in the afternoons (Kloof to Pinetown) but wouldn't do it on the way up as the shoulder is waaaaay too small and the cars and trucks go up there kamikaze style. Used to switch between going down fields and through New Germany, but there are a couple of mega hills on the back-roads. I was dropped off at school in the mornings. 

IMO not worth it.  

I'm from Gauteng so I have no clue but I have typed Fields Hill into the old interwebs  :eek:.

you just have to type 'Fields Hill' into google and hit images to see why it is a bad idea. no need to even say Pinetown...thats how infamous it is. 

Don't do it.

I ride a motorcycle in from Hillcrest to New Germany daily, I come down Field's Hill but go up Wyebank, Field's Hill going up is a disaster. 

15 years ago it was fine, but its too busy and as said above, very narrow shoulder.

I'm from Gauteng so I have no clue but I have typed Fields Hill into the old interwebs :eek:.

Scary enough driving up there at rush hour

Even if there was a wide bike lane ( which there isn’t ) , would still be impossible to get down to Westville via the M13 without crossing at least 4 lanes of moving traffic . The M13 merges onto the N3 to the Left and to remain on the Westville bound section , you have to be in the 2 right side lanes . Plus there are lanes merging on from the left at the same point, so coming down , you would literally be in the middle of the M13. So logistically not possible.

That’s aside from the danger of the actual commute on a road not designed for bicycles in rush hour traffic.

Definitely not to be done.

Edited by Benjamin

Even if there was a wide bike lane ( which there isn’t ) , would still be impossible to get down to Westville via the M13 without crossing at least 4 lanes of moving traffic . The M13 merges onto the N3 to the Left and to remain on the Westville bound section , you have to be in the 2 right side lanes . Plus there are lanes merging on from the left at the same point, so coming down , you would literally be in the middle of the M13. So logistically not possible.

That’s aside from the danger of the actual commute on a road not designed for bicycles in rush hour traffic.

Definitely not to be done.

I used to take the m13 until the m7, then hook on to the bridge by Mustek to get on to Underwood road. That, or go through Wyebank and New Germany, then into Pinetwon that way. Wouldn't do either route, now.