To Scott Spark or not to Scott Spark?

NeverNotRolling

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I think the Trance 2 might be more in line with what I want in the future, the Spark is more designed with what I'm currently riding.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So went shopping this morning and the following two bikes has just come into the fold:

1. Giant Trance 2 2019 - R40k

2. Trek Fuel ex 7 2020 - R38k - I'm able to get a really good discounted price for the 2020 model. It has 140mm travel.

Should I consider the Trek over the Giant due to the Trek's 140mm RockShox 35 Gold, DebonAir spring... I think it also has better brakes. If I'm not mistake the Trek is also really good on long distances and climbs. How does the Trek fair on technical trails?

So went shopping this morning and the following two bikes has just come into the fold:

2. Trek Fuel ex 7 2020 - R38k - I'm able to get a really good discounted price for the 2020 model. It has 140mm travel.

Should I consider the Trek over the Giant due to the Trek's 140mm RockShox 35 Gold, DebonAir spring... I think it also has better brakes. If I'm not mistake the Trek is also really good on long distances and climbs. How does the Trek fair on technical trails?

I can't comment on the 35 Gold, but I can tell you that the 34 Rythm on the Giant is a decent fork for the price. Like others have said though, test both bikes, I wouldn't pay that much for either without trying them out on the trails. Some bike suppliers in SA get away with murder by expecting you to fork out that much cash without letting you have a decent test ride. In Gauteng I know you can at the very least test the Giants at Trailwolf Cycles. I'm sure you could find somewhere in CT that would let you try them too. You could also look at the Merida 120 if you decide to try something more traily/marathon, XT edition, or 800. That should fall in your price range, and I know the guys from Merida will happily let you test the bikes. Let me know if you want the suppliers number and I will PM it to you.

The Trek looks to be almost a kilo heavier than the Giant. Spec for spec they are very close. I'd say the Grip damper in the 34 of the Giant is better than the Rockshox Motion Control unit, that is the only thing that stands out for me. Suspension travel is only one part of the equation, more isn't always better! Had a Trek Fuel EX as well. Great bike for the trails, but the sizing is a bit more finicky than the Giant. If you are looking at a medium be sure to make sure you get the correct medium of the two they offer. As stated above, best to ride them both and make an informed decision.

I can't comment on the 35 Gold, but I can tell you that the 34 Rythm on the Giant is a decent fork for the price. Like others have said though, test both bikes, I wouldn't pay that much for either without trying them out on the trails. Some bike suppliers in SA get away with murder by expecting you to fork out that much cash without letting you have a decent test ride. In Gauteng I know you can at the very least test the Giants at Trailwolf Cycles. I'm sure you could find somewhere in CT that would let you try them too. You could also look at the Merida 120 if you decide to try something more traily/marathon, XT edition, or 800. That should fall in your price range, and I know the guys from Merida will happily let you test the bikes. Let me know if you want the suppliers number and I will PM it to you.

Thanks for the help, I wish there was a place in CT to test ride, I very much agree, luckily I rode the 2019 fuel ex 8 this last weekend so have an idea on it. It won't hurt to contact Merida as I was looking at them initially, please do PM the number, thank you DCJ.

The 35 gold is a budget fork with a motion control damper. It can't hold a candle to the 34 with the Grip damper.

The RS 35 alone is enough reason to not buy the trek when you can buy the Trance.

The Trek looks to be almost a kilo heavier than the Giant. Spec for spec they are very close. I'd say the Grip damper in the 34 of the Giant is better than the Rockshox Motion Control unit, that is the only thing that stands out for me. Suspension travel is only one part of the equation, more isn't always better! Had a Trek Fuel EX as well. Great bike for the trails, but the sizing is a bit more finicky than the Giant. If you are looking at a medium be sure to make sure you get the correct medium of the two they offer. As stated above, best to ride them both and make an informed decision.

Cheers for all your advice on the_bob. Wish I could ride them, do you reckon a 1kg will make a huge difference, I'm sure I can try lighten the Trek down the with components if really necessary. Unfortunately I do not have too much knowledge on weight but just hoping that if I do consider the Trek, the 15kg bike wont be too heavy for my 70kg and 1,73m frame.

Btw, how is the paint chip on your Trance? I think I saw you make mention of it on another thread, not that it's too much of a deciding factor anyway.

As a SCOT SPARK owner my reply is hardly impartial, but since you asked about the SCOTT ...  :whistling:   :thumbup:

It is a VERY good all rounder !!

For ME the magic is in the twin lock-out.

Doing 20 to 30km tar to the trails and back is a BREEZE with the full lockout.  The worst off road trails, loose rocks and all, just click once for "traction control" ... now you have no bobbing, and yet the bike glides over the trail and rocks.  And then for the single track fun ... click, and you have FULL travel.  :clap:   :clap:

Initially the Spark 940 felt "lazy" into the corners .... then I started using the dropper seat post, and it oversteered into the corners !!  :w00t:  (lack of rider skill..)  Now truly enjoying the handling of the bike.

In our group there are more Giants, and even I previously had a Giant.  But man I LOVE this SCOTT Spark 940 !!!  :clap:  :clap:

Test ride ....

Speak to the guys at Bike Addict.  Though these are normally just short rides.

For proper test riding on trails ....  Giant Durbanville has done this, also Specialized off Durban Road in Bellville .... I dont know what level of DNA tests and second bonds they require though ...

Cheers for all your advice on the_bob. Wish I could ride them, do you reckon a 1kg will make a huge difference, I'm sure I can try lighten the Trek down the with components if really necessary. Unfortunately I do not have too much knowledge on weight but just hoping that if I do consider the Trek, the 15kg bike wont be too heavy for my 70kg and 1,73m frame.

Btw, how is the paint chip on your Trance? I think I saw you make mention of it on another thread, not that it's too much of a deciding factor anyway.

14 and a bit kg isn't bad for a trail bike. 1.73m will put you in a tricky spot for sizing on the Trek. Right between the two mediums so a test fit would be 100% necessary.

My bike's paint is fine, couple very small nicks from stones. Another bloke was struggling with a few bigger ones. I fitted an AMS frame guard kit and some clear vinyl and my bike is in top shape

I am in the same boat as you with looking for a new bike, went out this morning to find out about demo/renting bikes that I am keen on.

The Trek I have ridden, the 2019 EX7, very nice bike, but the size felt odd for me, and cant get a test on another size without dropping R1k which I dont really want to do

The other 3 bike I am keen on, Giant Trance, Scott Spark and Merida 120, my LBS is going to try organise demos for me....

I rode the_bobs Trance, and while it is small for me, and suspension is set up much too soft for my weight, it felt like an amazing bike, so looking forward to the demos if the shop can organise the bikes

Edited by Chadvdw67

If you are able to test ride the fuel ex,do it. I rode it overseas and its unreal. I myself found it overall more fun then my giant trance (2018 27.5 version).

14 and a bit kg isn't bad for a trail bike. 1.73m will put you in a tricky spot for sizing on the Trek. Right between the two mediums so a test fit would be 100% necessary.

My bike's paint is fine, couple very small nicks from stones. Another bloke was struggling with a few bigger ones. I fitted an AMS frame guard kit and some clear vinyl and my bike is in top shape

Took the Trance for a ride outside the bike shop yesterday, now im conflicted, I think that the Trance might be a little too Trail for me, even thought it is a really lovely bike, steering seems really wide and might be too slack for me....

So that means that it's probably between the Trek fuel ex 7 or Scott Spark 950 now! 

If you are able to test ride the fuel ex,do it. I rode it overseas and its unreal. I myself found it overall more fun then my giant trance (2018 27.5 version)

I too rode the 2019 fuel ex 8, it was really fun!

All great bikes. Love my Scott, the remote lockout rocks! Three years of many happy miles ????

Edited by MDJ

Took the Trance for a ride outside the bike shop yesterday, now im conflicted, I think that the Trance might be a little too Trail for me, even thought it is a really lovely bike, steering seems really wide and might be too slack for me....

So that means that it's probably between the Trek fuel ex 7 or Scott Spark 950 now! 

It's those Minion tyres! Though I will agree the Giant does take a while to get used to. Once you have it dialed tho :wub: