Give Away Project

mikemgordon

Hi

Last year I received a Bike for my 7-yr old son, which made me think about giving away bikes for others in need of one. I had a mountain bike that belonged to my eldest son, 18, who did not ride anymore. So I found a schoolboy who had to travel to school to give it to.

Long story short. I wanted to do this again. So I gathered parts from friends. I have rear mechs and cassettes and a 26" wheel set and a 26" shock, 29" tires and mismatched pedals and some other parts. Hoping to build a bike from the unwanted parts of others. I got another bike together and a boy in our suburb took it out on a trail with me last weekend. 

I would like to build a bike for a friend though. He has been an amazing support to others although he earns mere peanuts. I was wondering if any of you have a similar desire and would like to build a bike or give away some parts to help me build a bike.

He is 176 cm tall. I guess a medium to large frame would suit him well. I was hoping to build a 29er.

If you are able to, please let me know.

Thank you.

Regards

Michael

Edited by mikemgordon

Michael, perhaps tell us where you stay, so donators can get hold of you or decide what to give?

I have a pair of standard flat pedals from my Merida as a give away, if you are within reach of Alberton.

I'm willing to donate a Cube HPA Elite 26" medium frame with Rock Shox Sid. The bottom bracket needs a service and the SRAM XO jockey at the back needs a hanger. The wheels are DT Swiss.

Unfortunately I'm going to keep the brakes as  they're better than my current brakes.

Let me know if you are interested.

Hi guys.

Wow thank you for the replies.

I am in Pretoria. Meyerspark. Just seeing replies makes me feel so overwhelmed. So sorry I forgot to say where I am from.

I'm willing to donate a Cube HPA Elite 26" medium frame with Rock Shox Sid. The bottom bracket needs a service and the SRAM XO jockey at the back needs a hanger. The wheels are DT Swiss.

Unfortunately I'm going to keep the brakes as  they're better than my current brakes.

Let me know if you are interested.

Hi Theo

That is almost a full bike. Awesome. I can buy the brakes and ask my local shop to install them. I would love to take it on as a project. I think I would then be able to give the bike away by the end of the month!

Where are you based. I will come pick it up?

Regards

Michael

I think I have a handle bar and 9 speed shifters, I also have 7 speed intergrated shifter/brakes somewhere.

Hi Dexter-morgan

Thank you for you response. I can sure use a handle bar. If you want to get rid of the 7 speed shifter/brakes, I can take it. I don't have application for it at this stage, but it might come in handy soon. 

Thank you.

Regards

Michael

• 1 month later...

Good morning guys. Thank you again for your offers.

I by chance saw someone at the bikeshop who was looking for cheap wheels to build a bike for his son. And since I have been struggling to get all the parts I needed, I decided to give him the wheels I had. I was able to complete another bike that needed a fork and brakes that I had. I gave that one away on my birthday 3 weeks ago.

I think I'm done for now. Maybe I'll try again in 2020, but honestly it has been a bit stressful and cost me quite a bit.

Again, thank you very much for your kind hearts.

Keep the faith, with a bit of a longer lead time and some help from the bikhub I am sure you can do it will less cost to you.