BBC article on older population groups

Chris NewbyFraser

Below is an excerpt from the weekly BBC news letter https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20190930-the-untapped-potential-of-the-longevity-economy?xtor=ES-213-[bBC%20Features%20Newsletter]-2019October18-[Worklife%7c+Image]   With increased lifespans, elders are living thousands of days longer. That’s very good news for the global economy.

p07fsc3b.jpg
By Mari Shibata 10th October 2019

Y

Youth may be poised to inherit the future, but now ageing populations are defining it.

In 2018, for the first time in history, those aged 65 or older outnumbered children younger than five globally. And the number of people aged 80 years or older is projected to triple, from 143 million in 2019 to 426 million in 2050.

The population aged 65 and older is growing faster than all other age groups, especially as the global birth rate has been plummeting since the second half of the 20th Century. According to the World Health Organization, fertility rates in every region except Africa are near or below what’s considered the ‘replacement rate’ – the level needed to keep a population stable. In most high-income countries this hovers around 2.1 children per woman.

The population isn’t just ageing, though: people are living longer and increasing their ‘healthspan’ for prolonged health, too. That means that as the population of elders increases, so grows a group of consumers, workers and innovators. In other words, they’re not simply a group that needs services from the ‘silver economy’, which is aimed solely at older and ageing people – rather, the ageing population can continue to be full-service participants in the economy at large.

Bicycle manufacturers/retailers and race organisers would do well to increase their targeting of this age group. There's money to be made!

"Bicycle manufacturers/retailers and race organisers would do well to increase their targeting of this age group. There's money to be made!"

Bike manufacturers are on the case already. Ebikes.

My local Giant shop stocks and sells large numbers of E bikes. The owner tells me its the E bikes that keep him in business and making profits.

I also see the manifestation of this out on the trails where I live, the number of older folks with e bikes is astounding and brilliantly so. To many old folks just lead such sedentary lifestyles dodging the devil that its great to see folks embracing life and cycling.

"Bicycle manufacturers/retailers and race organisers would do well to increase their targeting of this age group. There's money to be made!"

Bike manufacturers are on the case already. Ebikes.

72 and no E bike, but a good Road bike , two mountain bikes, two spinning bikes (one located at 2350m - almost 8000ft above sea level)

Doing High altitude HIIT 4-5 times a week.  Maximum heart rate hit this year 180. Blood pressure after last 90 minute HIIT session on Saturday  89/59   

I'm also pushing 60 in a serious way. Out of town a few weeks ago, some old codgers, 65 to 79 years old, invited me to ride with them after I asked for directions on the local trails. They were witty, full of the joy of life, deft on the singletracks and not an e-bike in sight. One of my best rides this year!

Never underestimate an old man on a mountain bike :thumbup:

Edited by TIB