The toolbox thread

100Tours

10 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Sorry man. The weekend got away from me.

I know exactly where it is, its just a matter of pulling it out and taking some pics.

I've put a reminder on my phone for this weekend.

No worries, look forward to seeing the pics

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up this old boy (Record No. 5 Jack Plane) from the TradeMe (NZ Gumtree) for $35.

image.png.afc859078f2ed6bace1219c3e6a432ab.png

I figured while I have all the rust remover, primer, paint etc, I may as well restore another plane. This has however become a slippery slope as this plane was sold without plane iron and chip breaker, so I may have to buy ANOTHER old Record No. 4 or 5 to cannibalise. I also may not be able to pass up any No. 6 or 7's that come up for sale. They're like Pokemon 😅

Anyway, I'll post some pics when it's done. All I can say is thank goodness for Evapo Rust! Highly recommend for delicate rust removal!

Edited by patches

1 hour ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

Any recommendations for a budget friendly do-it-all torque wrench (if such a thing exists)? Something that can do the 4nm - 20nm preferably. 

Tighten until it goes loose, then a quarter turn back 😅

Just kidding, although I'm pretty sure the previous owner of my dirt bike followed that ethos.

As for recommendations, ParkTool is usually the go-to for cycling related, but as you likely have seen their torque wrench is 2 - 14Nm and costs a decent bit of coin (around R2300)..

So yeah, the Teng Tools is probably the best value for money and what I'd likely get, although it can't do 4Nm.

Hope that helps

6 hours ago, patches said:

Tighten until it goes loose, then a quarter turn back 😅

Just kidding, although I'm pretty sure the previous owner of my dirt bike followed that ethos.

As for recommendations, ParkTool is usually the go-to for cycling related, but as you likely have seen their torque wrench is 2 - 14Nm and costs a decent bit of coin (around R2300)..

So yeah, the Teng Tools is probably the best value for money and what I'd likely get, although it can't do 4Nm.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the detail!! 

10 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I cant comment on its accuracy, but it appears to be the best value for money as it includes the bits.
Most of the others don't.

The Teng Tool one felt pretty good and I know that you can have it serviced and calibrated (with certificate) on Voortrekker Rd in Goodwood.

I now have the Park Tool ones and am not sure if that was a good move...
(does anybody know if / how / where they can be checked and calibrated ?

5 minutes ago, splat said:

I cant comment on its accuracy, but it appears to be the best value for money as it includes the bits.
Most of the others don't.

The Teng Tool one felt pretty good and I know that you can have it serviced and calibrated (with certificate) on Voortrekker Rd in Goodwood.

I now have the Park Tool ones and am not sure if that was a good move...
(does anybody know if / how / where they can be checked and calibrated ?

According to the calibration cert I got with it, the accuracy is pretty good.

On 6/1/2021 at 8:40 PM, ChrisF said:

Finally found a nice digital pressure gauge.

Screenshot_20210601-203451_Gallery.jpg.3aca91d8c95d3f14df653b10b3218648.jpg

Rather than the standard connector hose I fitted a cycle pump hose and connector.

Screenshot_20210601-203455_Gallery.jpg.9ecaf5799cdc8dcaa808e47b4c95688a.jpg

R265 at Addendorf

Nice. This can work well with my 4x4 compressor. I only use a foot pump because I must