The toolbox thread

100Tours

2 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Just goooing it out there , there's A similar deal on takealot right now for A similar kit but from Hikoki and I trust the Japanese much much more than the American branded china stuff..

Link ?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

OnedayOnly have a CAT Impact Wrench, with 2 x batteries and charger for R1699 today.

Very tempting.

12 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I see now there are 2 listed, did not really dive into the details to see the difference, both are brushless 18V units but the one is double the price of the other.

3 hours ago, BaGearA said:

takealot: Hikoki - 18V Li-Ion Cordless Impact Drill Kit

https://www.takealot.com/hikoki-18v-li-ion-cordless-impact-drill-kit/PLID45135431

No apparent difference between the two CAT Impact Drivers, and R3700 is definitely on the steep side for a DIYer level tool. However, R1700 is not a bad deal for a brushless impact driver with 2 batteries and a charger.

The battery looks very similar to the Black & Decker one... wouldn't be surprised if there's some cross contamination in the factories.

As for the Hikoki, definitely the more reputable brand, however the tool in the link is an Impact Drill, not the same as an Impact Driver (Which is also not the same as an Impact Wrench).

It's also a brushed version, so even though Hikoki is a pro-level brand, this is aimed at DIYers (which is no issue if that's all one wants). But in my opinion and for the money, a mid-level brushless from a pro-sumer brand (between DIY and Pro... like AEG/Ridgid) will probably be a better bet.

Edited by patches

Honestly- if you looking at battery drills/drivers, select a brand you like and stick to it. There are multiple good brands, but select one and keep consistency in one charger/battery system. Having 3-4 batteries that work with all your tools is useful. So while the drill may be cheap, check there is a grinder, circular saw, impact wrench and other tools you may want down the line.

Then- most importantly- make sure they have a dustbuster/vacuum/leaf blower that the Mrs would enjoy. She will only have to deal with not enough batteries once and you will have free reign to buy as many spare batteries as you want...

8 hours ago, patches said:

Impact Driver (Which is also not the same as an Impact Wrench).

other than the chuck/nose/connector thingy (yes that is the official technical name for it ok :) ), what are the core differences between an impact driver and impact wrench ? The wrenches always seem to be slightly cheaper.

Impact wrenches usually have a bit more torque to tighten/ loosen tough nuts/bolts. They usually have short bursts of high torque followed by minimal resistance or vice versa. Like tightening a nut, no resistance then you want it to just hammer the last bit tight.

Impact drivers have less high end torque, but are happy to drive at a lower torque for longer time periods. Like driving in 180mm pozi drives into wood without a pilot hole. Slow consistent hammer. 

If you are roofing or framing an impact driver is worth it's weight in gold.

Edited by dave303e

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

other than the chuck/nose/connector thingy (yes that is the official technical name for it ok :) ), what are the core differences between an impact driver and impact wrench ? The wrenches always seem to be slightly cheaper.

Impact drivers and wrenches have a fast, repetitive torsional impact action via a hammer and anvil. These "jolt" fasteners tight or loose.

As dave303e mentioned, they can deliver significantly more torque than a drill-driver. Some are downright vicious and can strip out fine fasteners or woodwork if not careful.

However, unlike drill-drivers that get carried away and try break your wrist when the bit gets caught up, impact drivers and wrenches deliver the torque via the impacts without the twisty-wristies.

This will probably explain it better than I can...

1 minute ago, patches said:

Impact drivers and wrenches have a fast, repetitive torsional impact action via a hammer and anvil. These "jolt" fasteners tight or loose.

As dave303e mentioned, they can deliver significantly more torque than a drill-driver. Some are downright vicious and can strip out fine fasteners or woodwork if not careful.

However, unlike drill-drivers that get carried away and try break your wrist when the bit gets caught up, impact drivers and wrenches deliver the torque via the impacts without the twisty-wristies.

This will probably explain it better than I can...

i'm talking impact wrench vs impact driver. 

I know the difference between drill and driver, hence me lusting after an impact driver/wrench

6 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

i'm talking impact wrench vs impact driver. 

I know the difference between drill and driver, hence me lusting after an impact driver/wrench

Haha sorry didn't read too good!

09509E23-5528-4FA8-AE68-90F37BEE3239.jpeg.6398626746e47ca4b64d48fb5f9c997d.jpeg

Driver vs wrench it's pretty much what dave303e said (Ie wrenches typically have higher torque).

They also come in a variety of sizes (both anvil (ie 1/4" - 1") and have various classes (compact, medium torque, high torque and "I'm installing train tracks" torque.

Even a compact (1/4", 3/8" or some even 1/2") is typically more bulky and heavy than an impact driver, but can be used for driving bigger lag bolts etc than the driver would. Mediums are a good size for automotive work. Wheel nuts etc. High torque would be for the likes of steel structure fabrication, and earthmoving equipment mechanicking.

I think for the average person doing woodwork, DIY, and some light mechanicking, an impact driver with a 1/2"and 1/4" square drive adapter will more than suffice.

13 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Think this one will answer which you should own/buy if you want

informative video, thanks. Looks like the driver is the one I need to go for.

This week in the Toolbox thread...

Some bargains!

First off, a little air compressor I picked up for half price

image.png.f95383112ac67279ba49f911d3f842e2.png

Ryobi-Airwave 50L 2.0HP Air Compressor

Second, was an idea I had to repurpose old filing cabinets into tool storage. Picked up a 3 drawer unit from TradeMe (like Gumtree in NZ) for $5

Used some plywood and castors I had lying around to pimp and mobilize it.

image.png.5af823d4e9a572ae20e0569fa4693534.png

We had a rather large electric fence put in to keep the big ladies(dairy moo's) safe at night.

The guy came with an adendorff petrol powered auger. Our dirt is lovely and soft and that thing worked such a treat I am off to buy one now as well. If you are doing fencing regularly and it is not too rocky, I can highly recommend one. The auger bit also makes a neat hole not too wide so you need minimal concrete to fill it around a pole. Very efficient.

3 hours ago, patches said:

This week in the Toolbox thread...

Some bargains!

First off, a little air compressor I picked up for half price

image.png.f95383112ac67279ba49f911d3f842e2.png

Ryobi-Airwave 50L 2.0HP Air Compressor

Second, was an idea I had to repurpose old filing cabinets into tool storage. Picked up a 3 drawer unit from TradeMe (like Gumtree in NZ) for $5

Used some plywood and castors I had lying around to pimp and mobilize it.

image.png.5af823d4e9a572ae20e0569fa4693534.png

Its a good thing you got an air compressor, looks like that morewood could do with a little sky in it's front round... Jokes aside though they are super useful things to have around. One of those begrudging purchases often but very useful.

I like what you did with that filing cabinet, really makes it look good, you can quite easily add those smaller wall mounted storage bins to the side as well now

On 11/3/2022 at 8:16 AM, dave303e said:

We had a rather large electric fence put in to keep the big ladies(dairy moo's) safe at night.

The guy came with an adendorff petrol powered auger. Our dirt is lovely and soft and that thing worked such a treat I am off to buy one now as well. If you are doing fencing regularly and it is not too rocky, I can highly recommend one. The auger bit also makes a neat hole not too wide so you need minimal concrete to fill it around a pole. Very efficient.

I had to google auger, and then said "o is that what it's called". That thing looks cool and fun to operate.