The toolbox thread

100Tours

One thing that migrated to the workshop a few months back and has been there ever since is a pair of electronic ear protection. I have had them for a while for shooting and they work so well. Basically they can amplify the quieter noises and as soon as dangerous noise levels are around they kick in and protect you. But in a workshop they are even better, you can still hear everything around you and are comfortable and aware of surroundings but as soon as you kick on a loud saw or whatever they kick in and protect your ears. Gone are the days of ear plugs in and out and shouting at the Mrs because you forgot your ear pro is in.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that close to the sea but very damp, holiday home in Europe. All saws, pliers, hammers, chisels, planes etc get a coat of engine oil once a year before I leave, table saw, jointer etc cast iron surfaces gets a coat of woodoc furniture wax. Its a bit of a pain to wipe down before working the next year but better than rust.  Mates of mine who are there full time run room de-humidifiers.

On a site in Namaqualand yesterday the farmer had put his entire solar system (for a fence) in an old fridge for insulation, when there's no shade they're good!

4 hours ago, dave303e said:

One thing that migrated to the workshop a few months back and has been there ever since is a pair of electronic ear protection. I have had them for a while for shooting and they work so well. Basically they can amplify the quieter noises and as soon as dangerous noise levels are around they kick in and protect you. But in a workshop they are even better, you can still hear everything around you and are comfortable and aware of surroundings but as soon as you kick on a loud saw or whatever they kick in and protect your ears. Gone are the days of ear plugs in and out and shouting at the Mrs because you forgot your ear pro is in.

I don't have workshop specific ear protection, but I have 2 sets of wireless noise cancelling ear/headphones, which I switch up depending on the weather.

Sony WH-1000XM4 Wireless Noise Cancelling Over-Ear Headphones (Black)

Buy the Jabra Elite 4 Active True Wireless Noise Cancelling Sports  In-Ear... ( 100-99180000-40 ) online - PBTech.co.nz

The Sonys have superior noise cancelling, but they can make one sweat in summer, and I sometimes struggle not to get them too dusty. The ANC (not that one, but Active Noise Cancelling) still works well on the Jabras, and the ones I have are IP57 rated, so dust and sweat is not as much of a concern.

Power tool noise is still loud enough to be heard, albeit at a very low volume, which is helpful in knowing what the tool is doing. But I have had a few frights in the workshop when the wife has snuck-up on me, haha

10 hours ago, patches said:

I don't have workshop specific ear protection, but I have 2 sets of wireless noise cancelling ear/headphones, which I switch up depending on the weather.

Buy the Jabra Elite 4 Active True Wireless Noise Cancelling Sports  In-Ear... ( 100-99180000-40 ) online - PBTech.co.nz

The Sonys have superior noise cancelling, but they can make one sweat in summer, and I sometimes struggle not to get them too dusty. The ANC (not that one, but Active Noise Cancelling) still works well on the Jabras, and the ones I have are IP57 rated, so dust and sweat is not as much of a concern.

Power tool noise is still loud enough to be heard, albeit at a very low volume, which is helpful in knowing what the tool is doing. But I have had a few frights in the workshop when the wife has snuck-up on me, haha

what works well with the shooting electronic ear protection is that when you are not using a machine you can still hear really well(in fact better), no one will sneak up on you and you can still have a normal conversation between cuts etc. I am considering buying a set for my one laborer as well so we can communicate easy while he helps when I am fixing vacuum pumps, stationary motors, generators and things like that on the farm.

On 5/18/2023 at 9:57 PM, patches said:

If thos ANCs can cancel out the ANC I want a pair pleeeeeaaaase!

22 hours ago, Baron said:

Got this bearing press set. Was very impressed with the quality.IMG_0471.png.687faf1c8b049dac68b21813deecc03b.png

IMG_9691.jpeg

IMG_8885.png

That's Professional I'm Still using Old Bearings and insulation tape to Press in the New.

Got this cheapie gadget to try prevent costly planer blade damage cause by hidden nails in reclaimed wood...

...but could also use it at the beach to try supplement my income.

Oh and the first thing I tested it on was my collar bone plate... it worked 😅

image.png.b00a7971a160ac5ec20ba89bc8a4bcf1.png

8 hours ago, patches said:

Got this cheapie gadget to try prevent costly planer blade damage cause by hidden nails in reclaimed wood...

...but could also use it at the beach to try supplement my income.

Oh and the first thing I tested it on was my collar bone plate... it worked 😅

image.png.b00a7971a160ac5ec20ba89bc8a4bcf1.png

Does your collar bone set of detectors at the airport?

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Does your collar bone set of detectors at the airport?

Funny enough, only once in the 10yrs of having shoulder hardware and 22yrs of having chest hardware (both seen below) have I triggered an airport metal detector.

And that was here at Auckland Airport, which I've been through at least 50x... but still only triggered that once. And Kiwis are so relaxed that I just pointed to my shoulder and said "collar bone plate" and the airport security officer simply shrugged his shoulders, said "fair enough" and waved me through, haha

IMG-20160306-WA0006_Original.jpeg.8b071cc81fb31dfb7550f67c73de2e65.jpeg

9 minutes ago, patches said:

Funny enough, only once in the 10yrs of having shoulder hardware and 22yrs of having chest hardware (both seen below) have I triggered an airport metal detector.

And that was here at Auckland Airport, which I've been through at least 50x... but still only triggered that once. And Kiwis are so relaxed that I just pointed to my shoulder and said "collar bone plate" and the airport security officer simply shrugged his shoulders, said "fair enough" and waved me through, haha

IMG-20160306-WA0006_Original.jpeg.8b071cc81fb31dfb7550f67c73de2e65.jpeg

after my moms first hip replacement she carried a medical card with her incase of such situations. Never triggered anything.

The second replacement they did not bother as apparently the materials used would not trigger anything.