Changing to Carbon bars MTB

Mawbs

think you kind of missing my question, i was trying to figure how much difference there would be in rise between the 2 bars as my current bar is 30mm rise but less up sweep than the Csixx bar. obviously i realise i could just swop my spacers around.

if you use a bar with less rise, but raise your bar height using spacers under the stem you will effectively reduce your reach to your handlebars ... something to bear in mind.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I Changed from a Spank Oozy aluminium bar to a Ritchey WCS Trail carbon bar. Looks moer cool. Made a small weight saving and put quite a dent in my wallet. It didn't change the ride characteristics of the bicycle in my opinion.

Edited by johnson

if you use a bar with less rise, but raise your bar height using spacers under the stem you will effectively reduce your reach to your handlebars ... something to bear in mind.

i hear you but what effect does more backsweep & upsweep have ? will that also reduce reach ?

what i am trying to figure out is will the bar with less rise ( 10mm ) but more Upsweep & backsweep = the same riding position as the old bar  

i hear you but what effect does more backsweep & upsweep have ? will that also reduce reach ?

what i am trying to figure out is will the bar with less rise ( 10mm ) but more Upsweep & backsweep = the same riding position as the old bar 

You're overthinking it. You don't sit in exactly the same position every time you get on the bike. So the minuscule differences in rise and sweep can be taken up by rotating the bar rearward or forward. Even if there's a 1cm difference your body will adapt quickly

if all mounted in the same position...a bar with more upsweep will have your hands SLIGHTLY higher than a bar with less upsweep. mounted in the same neutral postion...a bar with more backsweep will reduce reach slightly compared to a bar with less sweep. this only starts getting noticable when you start playing around with bars with around 12-16* backsweep. you compensate with a longer stem for thos usually. they are know as comfort bars as they place the wrists in a more neutral/comfortable angle in relation to the arm...reducing the chance of hyper extending the wrist and pinching your carpal tunnels

you wont notice any real difference between say a 7 or 9* backsweep bar or a 4 or 6* upsweep bar

Edited by morneS555

I also think that you are overthinking this, but for the sake of overthinking let us then overthink. 

You have a 30mm rise bar with 4deg upsweep.  You can calculate the “rise” the upsweep will give you with a simple math formula you should know if you passed some kind of math class in school.  C=2πr

We will need to make some assumptions:

The upsweep only starts at about 10cm, from the centre of the bar.  Half of a 780mm bar is 390mm, not an assumption, with about 10cm before the upsweep starts, this is the assumption.  That gives you a theoretical radius of a circle of about 380mm. 

Using your high school math, the total circumference of a circle with a 380mm radius is 2387.61mm.  If you agree with me that there is 360deg in a circle, then if you divide the circumference of the circle by 360 you should get close to the vertical rise of 1deg of upsweep.  6.63225mm in this case.

You could use Pythagoras to calculate the exact rise from here but let us not overthink this that much. 

So, your 30mm Oozy bar with 4deg upsweep should have a total theoretically assumed rise of about 30mm + (6.63225mm * 4) = 56.529mm.

The Csixx 20mm bar with 5deg upsweep should have a total theoretically assumed rise of about 20mm + (6.63225mm * 5) = 53.16125mm.

Maybe you will notice the 3.36775mm difference maybe not.  Just remember that if you put a 3mm spacer in you will reduce your reach by about…… I don’t know, something.

I also think that you are overthinking this, but for the sake of overthinking let us then overthink. 

You have a 30mm rise bar with 4deg upsweep.  You can calculate the “rise” the upsweep will give you with a simple math formula you should know if you passed some kind of math class in school.  C=2πr

We will need to make some assumptions:

The upsweep only starts at about 10cm, from the centre of the bar.  Half of a 780mm bar is 390mm, not an assumption, with about 10cm before the upsweep starts, this is the assumption.  That gives you a theoretical radius of a circle of about 380mm. 

Using your high school math, the total circumference of a circle with a 380mm radius is 2387.61mm.  If you agree with me that there is 360deg in a circle, then if you divide the circumference of the circle by 360 you should get close to the vertical rise of 1deg of upsweep.  6.63225mm in this case.

You could use Pythagoras to calculate the exact rise from here but let us not overthink this that much. 

So, your 30mm Oozy bar with 4deg upsweep should have a total theoretically assumed rise of about 30mm + (6.63225mm * 4) = 56.529mm.

The Csixx 20mm bar with 5deg upsweep should have a total theoretically assumed rise of about 20mm + (6.63225mm * 5) = 53.16125mm.

Maybe you will notice the 3.36775mm difference maybe not.  Just remember that if you put a 3mm spacer in you will reduce your reach by about…… I don’t know, something.

wohoo and there we have it someone that actually understands the question i am asking :clap:  :clap:  thank you for the clarity ( ps my maths sucks ..thus exactly why i was asking )