DJI Mavic Mini - New Drone

Tankman

My Samsung S8 also just randomly rebooted twice while using the mini. Luckily the RTH was all good.

Decided to use my old slightly stuffed S6 as a dedicated drone phone, and no issues so far.

Loving the drone, but in built up areas the signal sucks. Flew just over 2km at the coast with no issues. 400m near my house and that's about it sadly.

Did my own family holiday video. It's incredible how much there is to learn with these things that just comes down to practice. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8gjnAnIq-8&t=2s

Lekka Vid!

I had the same idea with a dedicated drone phone but my old Samsung J7 doesnt work with the Fly app it seems.

I like flying in tricky spots and a phone rebooting can be catastrophic!

My track record:  Building 1 - Drone 0

With the newest 1.004 version software I have had my phone reboot once during 6 flights.

Also had the drone drop down, touch the sand (luckily I was hovering over the beach at the time, not the ocean!! :eek: :eek:)  and take off again.  Not sure what the hell happened there.  I didnt touch the controls at all, I saw it going down and I could have bought it back up but I wanted to see what was going on in the little drones mind, since I saw it was safe to just let it be.

If you want to force the drone into FCC mode for the 5.8Ghz frequency, here is what you need to do, will give you much better reception around your home:

Download Fake GPS from Google app store.

Turn off GPS on your phone

Open Fake GPS and drop a pin in the US somewhere open (not in a city), press play.

Start the remote - very important DO NOT have the phone connected to the remote!

Start the drone

Wait for the drone and remote to connect

Now plug in your phone into the remote

Start the Fly App and press three dots on the camera setting.

You might get a message that the drone is changing settings to a different country

Check your Transmission Settings - Should have changed from 2.4ghz to 5.8ghz.

If you want to stay in FCC mode reverse the process so that you can connect in FCC mode next time.

Disconnect your phone First

Then Switch off the Drone and Remote.

Next time Drone + Remote on, wait for connection, connect phone.... voila!!

Edited by Tankman

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a ton, I'll have a look later.

I bought my drone in the US, but I'm not sure if it would have reverted to CE when I brought it this side.

Still pretty confused about the 2.4 and 5.8ghz, 2.4 should have better range, not worse. unless it's purely the channel congestion and bandwidth that messes with things.

I did find that when I changed the auto saving video to phone thing it helped a bit.

Luckily I haven't had any crashes yet. Nearly hit a wave at one point, but that's about it.

The 2.4Ghz is a lower frequency so should work better when there are obstacles in the way, buildings, trees whatever. 

Problem with 2.4 is the interference and bandwidth with everyone else that is on 2.4 with their wifi and phones.  

In wifi congested areas 5.8 will work better.  

I haven't tested the the differences in range but flying on 5.8 in urban areas has eliminated a lot of signal interference.  Been too bang to fly more than a 1km out on any of those two frequencies!

But out of the sticks with no wifi around, 2.4 hasnt given me issues.

• 1 month later...

After doing a lot more flying recently...

A quick update on my findings with this little drone so far.

Keep in mind that this is my first drone ever so comparing it to others is not possible.

This is a great drone to start with.

Price is good, value for money is good.

Video and photos is also good.

Its light and easy to travel with.  Quick to get into the air.

Things that I notice that starts getting tricky... following riders that is bombing down single track, is not that easy, auto follow would be great with obstacle avoidance sensors, event better.

It is quite difficult to follow a fast moving subject at a very close distance, maybe I am just to scared that I will bump into them and keep my distance.   Following from far away is easy but that does not look great in the video and you cant crop in enough, even when shot in 2k.  Not sure if 4k would give you a little more reach to get closer when cropping in.

When tracking riders, you cant see trees, branches or any obstacles approaching from the sides or behind you.  I've hit a couple of branches while tracking riders, by the time you see the obstacle it is usually too late.  Obstacle Avoidance sensors, yes please.

Maybe I am getting too technical but I can definitely see some uses for a higher frame rate and 4k.

Slow mo and digital cropping without loosing quality.   I upload to youtube at 1080p anyway but there are some advantages to shooting in 4k.

Signal interference can be an issue at times, other times it works great.  Recently while tracking some surfers, I kept getting signal interference and I was only 100m out and about 2m above the water.  Problem is when that happens, the display on the phone is interrupted, not ideal while flying over the water and all of a sudden, you can no longer see what you are doing or where you are!!   

Great little drone, easy to learn, easy to fly.

I hear there is talks of the Mavic Air 2 coming out soon!  Hmmmm....  :whistling:

I did the Zipline in Mosselbay yesterday... :D

Here is some drone and gopro footage! ;)

really keen to do this, before it starts rusting to #@$@#$%@#$@#$#@$

does it include an obligatory beer at tidals?

really keen to do this, before it starts rusting to #@$@#$%@#$@#$#@$

does it include an obligatory beer at tidals?

Haha... exactly why I did it already!

You are forced to have a beer, when you are strapped off, you are on the outside deck of Tidals!!

There is no way of getting around that! :P

(Its now called something Blue, Big Blue, I think...) 

Quick example

Tracking is too far away.

By the time I saw the tree, it was too late, I let go of the controls immidatley and hoped that I would be able to maneuver back out of there but ja ....

how did you hit a tree at g-spot  :lol:

Eggxactly!!  I didnt even know there was trees around there!!  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...