DJI Mavic Mini - New Drone

Tankman

Use fake GPS app and do the FCC hack. This will trick the drone to think its flying in the US. but don't do anything crazy. :)

Sounds like there are two different controllers being shipped with this drone.

The one in the US, where they have less restrictions on wifi, will be the one to get as this will have a stronger wifi signal.   Other areas, like us, will get the other controller.

If a software hack can sort out the controller... :D

Is it true to say the spark is a better drone but the mini a better camera and better fly time?

Edit... no wrong

Sounds like the Mini flies and handles similar the other Mavic's in the lineup.

Spark... :thumbdown:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never really want ed a drone as they seemed to expensive and too limited in terms of fly time, range etc unless you went big on the coin and to be honest up to now for the prices I had better things to spend money. 

But this seems pretty great and something at that price that you could actually add in to your life and use with an okay fly time. I'm sure there is a trade off  as it is cheap(er) so will keep my eye on this thread eagerly for options from people who know more than me. 

I'd like to use it for a bit of filming at events, snowboarding, trail scouting, game reserve surveying (don't worry privately owned and agreed to by the members, no kruger stupidity) and some other bits.

The Mini does not have all the features of the other DJI drones ie. follow me

I did some research before I bought the Mavic and although a bit expensive, it offers the best functionality available at that price point.

You can get refurbished units from a number of Drone stores in SA for much less than a new with a 1 year guarantee, still as good as new.

Do your home work before you buy and know what you are going to use it for.  It is an expensive toy

:blink:

The Mini does not have all the features of the other DJI drones ie. follow me

I did some research before I bought the Mavic and although a bit expensive, it offers the best functionality available at that price point.

You can get refurbished units from a number of Drone stores in SA for much less than a new with a 1 year guarantee, still as good as new.

Do your home work before you buy and know what you are going to use it for.  It is an expensive toy

:blink:

The Mavic Air has been on top of my list for a while (for a first Drone), if budget was not a factor, then the Pro 2 Zoom for sure.

Not having owned one before, the Mini looks like a good entry point... and I can wreck 4 Mini's or one Pro2 from a price point of view.

Sure it doesnt have all the bells and whistles.  The "follow me" is a software feature that could be added with a future upgrade.   For what I have planned, it will get the job done, for now. 

Other side of the coin is, how often will it get used?  Arent they like GoPro's, fun the first couple of times and then they lay somewhere in a cupboard and get taken out once a year to see if you can create the same type of promotional footage like on the GoPro channel, when they release a new model?

There is also the possibility that I could use this toy as a tool and as soon as that happens, I would need to get an upgraded tool with all the bells and whistles.  That tool would need to pay for itself though... otherwise I am sticking with the toy! ;)

So the follow me idea is that you launch it at the top of trail Z and then set it to follow you and then try not to kill yourself either smiling for the camera as you go down the hill or nervously checking to see if it is indeed following you and hasn't, like some unfaithful bassett hound, decided to follow someone else home?

Sounds fun but I get flashes of standing at the bottom of a 3km descent and looking around and .... no drone. 

So the follow me idea is that you launch it at the top of trail Z and then set it to follow you and then try not to kill yourself either smiling for the camera as you go down the hill or nervously checking to see if it is indeed following you and hasn't, like some unfaithful bassett hound, decided to follow someone else home?

Sounds fun but I get flashes of standing at the bottom of a 3km descent and looking around and .... no drone. 

Oh, this happens.....Follow Me mode is not that great.... it'll loose you, but should return to it's take off position and land...so it'll be a big push back up to hopefully find it if you remembered to activate accurate home point!! 

Frankly, you'll do Follow Me a few times and then realise how boring it is as you can never get close up to see any real action or perspective....its better to do this......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7dc5sH22vM (FPV racing drone)

Edited by capediver

That drone must be piloted? And expertly so!

Oh, this happens.....Follow Me mode is not that great.... it'll loose you, but should return to it's take off position and land...so it'll be a big push back up to hopefully find it if you remembered to activate accurate home point!! 

Frankly, you'll do Follow Me a few times and then realise how boring it is as you can never get close up to see any real action or perspective....its better to do this......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7dc5sH22vM (FPV racing drone)

That drone must be piloted? And expertly so!

Drone is piloted.....it's  bare bones, light, with GoPro mounted on top (most of these were home-made but you can now buy kits or ready to fly units)...pilot watches via goggles and onboard low res camera connected via radio signal to receiver/controller and goggles ie First Person View.......no fancy software keeping it stationery, hovering, GPS, obstacle avoidance, etc...lotsa flying skills needed.

That Skydio does seem to make a strong case for it's capabilities in the 'follow me' stakes but I honestly know less than nothing on this. Price is getting up there but if it is that much better then I would think it would be worth it. 

We had the mate with us in Botswana with a DJI Mavic Pro and it was kinda fun there as we could locate game from the lodge, got a few very rad shots, made up stupid tasks for it (delivering beer to the different huts), keeping kids pretty fascinated. Even with that model the 'follow me' was pretty average when we tried to get it to follow the game vehicle in pretty open bush. Thing kept getting confused and the footage wasn't smooth and as you'd imagine. 

Ja the more I look at this the more I think that it will end up spending most of the time in the cupboard as another poster observed. 

Whew - thank goodness - looks like G.A.S. impulses get weaker with age - until of course the next shiny thing catches my eye.

• 2 weeks later...

So... the first worst thing is waiting for the batteries to charge.

The second worst thing is living in a No Fly Zone - Waterkloof and Swartkops around the corner.

Which I knew but thought I would at least be able to take a test flight indoors.

No sir, nada... that did not happen.

At least I got to take some photos of it while everything was charging....

Did manage to squeeze the maiden voyage, three times, had to drive out of the NFZ...  :D

post-4352-0-85534800-1573754526_thumb.jpg

post-4352-0-13619400-1573754541_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tankman

So... the first worst thing is waiting for the batteries to charge.

The second worst thing is living in a No Fly Zone - Waterkloof and Swartkops around the corner.

Which I knew but thought I would at least be able to take a test flight indoors.

No sir, nada... that did not happen.

At least I got to take some photos of it while everything was charging....

Did manage to squeeze the maiden voyage, three times, had to drive out of the NFZ...  :D

attachicon.gif750_3328.jpg

attachicon.gif750_3333.jpg

So NFZ is already built in ???? or did you have a choice to "update" NFZ's?