Safety / Self-defence gear on MTB

dannygirl

Check Youtube for the Comtech tactical whip testing. The guys that test it reckon that batons are very limited, mainly because you have to assault the hell out of someone for it to work, and this looks bad on video. The tactical whip looks like something you could make at home, only need to get one hit with it.

Edited by Martin PJ

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A guy I know told me that the only thing to do with a baton is to hit the perp on the top of his head. He said any other part of the body is a waste of time.

Check Youtube for the Comtech tactical whip testing. The guys that test it reckon that batons are very limited, mainly because you have to assault the hell out of someone for it to work, and this looks bad on video. The tactical whip looks like something you could make at home, only need to get one hit with it.

That think is deadly...gonna make one for sure!!!

That think is deadly...gonna make one for sure!!!

I think the little cap at the end of the cable is very important, this is what hurts so much.

This looks good and pepperspray .Practice somewhere with the spray .It is not the end of the world if you get the stuff on yourself ,but it will make it much easier to use when you need it in a hurry .Even better is to get a small ampule of local aneasthetic called proxyamethocaine and keep it with the spay .the local aneasthetic ,when put on your eye will help you if you need to ride away .If i had my pepperspray with me when a rogue bakkie driver got upset with me on my bike ,things would have been much different .Pepperspray through an open window or even at the aircon intake will definitely have the required effect .I used pepperspray to break up a dog fight two weeks ago .Get some and and familiarise yourself with it .It works !!!

Edited by arendoog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6my9mtRIeCg

This thing looks useful. I also have pepper spray clipped onto my pack. Fortunately I have never had to use it but this whip looks like it is easy to stow and use.

I cary a karambit with me everywhere I go. Pocket clip with Emerson wave hook. Useful for opening boxes and sachets of milk. Doesn't bother me. Fun to play with if I'm bored. Very difficult to disarm due to the retainer ring for your index finger. Not something that I look forward to using in a confrontation but you do what you do to survive.

Many many moons ago...1984 to be exact...Durban and at a club called Ruby Tuesday...

I was stationed at Training Wing Natal command and this particular night was a friday and payday...

4 of us loots would do the Golden mile ...get dropped of near where Smith and West uased to end at the Beach front and then make our way back to the command visiting all the clubs n pubs along the way...

It was around 11 and Ruby was starting to pump...in walks a shortish okie dressed fairly smart with a dinner jacket on...and sits down and orders a drink , minding his own business...after about 20 or so minutes 2 burly looking okies sidle up to this chap and start tuning him...what for I still dont know...well it wasnt long and it all went south ...al I remember in the dull lighting is this small okie a blur and swinging something short from his right hand and the 2 burly okies flopping around like rag dolls and small thud thud sounds....all over in a matter of seconds and this okie sits down and finishers his drink and then proceeds to walk out with the other 2 *** maakers out cold on the floor...my mate and I follow this okie out and I politely ask him ...what was that???....He tunes ...nay my bru...dis net n ou klein hammertjie...lakker aand my larnie...winks and saunters off down the esplanade...it was a small ball peen hammer on a leather thong around his wrist...DEVASTATING!!!...LETHAL!!

This looks good and pepperspray .Practice somewhere with the spray .It is not the end of the world if you get the stuff on yourself ,but it will make it much easier to use when you need it in a hurry .Even better is to get a small ampule of local aneasthetic called proxyamethocaine and keep it with the spay .the local aneasthetic ,when put on your eye will help you if you need to ride away .If i had my pepperspray with me when a rogue bakkie driver got upset with me on my bike ,things would have been much different .Pepperspray through an open window or even at the aircon intake will definitely have the required effect .I used pepperspray to break up a dog fight two weeks ago .Get some and and familiarise yourself with it .It works !!!

jet spray not wide spray.

Emptied half a can into a guys face in a road rage incident many years back.

took a good few second for it to work, but totally disabled him.

problem is, even after washing your hand thoroughly, even the slightest amount in the wrong place burns like hell.

Pro tip, dont touch your gentleman parts when you go to the bathroom, even after you've thoroughly washed your hands.

Many many moons ago...1984 to be exact...Durban and at a club called Ruby Tuesday...

I was stationed at Training Wing Natal command and this particular night was a friday and payday...

4 of us loots would do the Golden mile ...get dropped of near where Smith and West uased to end at the Beach front and then make our way back to the command visiting all the clubs n pubs along the way...

It was around 11 and Ruby was starting to pump...in walks a shortish okie dressed fairly smart with a dinner jacket on...and sits down and orders a drink , minding his own business...after about 20 or so minutes 2 burly looking okies sidle up to this chap and start tuning him...what for I still dont know...well it wasnt long and it all went south ...al I remember in the dull lighting is this small okie a blur and swinging something short from his right hand and the 2 burly okies flopping around like rag dolls and small thud thud sounds....all over in a matter of seconds and this okie sits down and finishers his drink and then proceeds to walk out with the other 2 *** maakers out cold on the floor...my mate and I follow this okie out and I politely ask him ...what was that???....He tunes ...nay my bru...dis net n ou klein hammertjie...lakker aand my larnie...winks and saunters off down the esplanade...it was a small ball peen hammer on a leather thong around his wrist...DEVASTATING!!!...LETHAL!!

That sounds like a DIY monkey fist.

thought this was going to end in:

..........karate black belt?

no, isuzu fan belt

I had an incident a few years ago where a guy came at me with a knife after I gave him a solid PK for throwing a rock at my car. I came close to being stabbed and I could do nothing about it as I couldn't get close to him. I swore to never allow myself to be in that position again so I went home and made myself something  very similar to those tactical whips for each of my cars and for on the bike. The only difference is mine has dual thin cables with a lead ball sinker at the end and slides into a small thin aluminum tube. It allows me to keep an attacker at arms length away. I never want to be hit with it, it will be destructive.

Edited by BuffsVintageBikes

You get used to it I guess, also depends on the ammo being used. Been thinking of changing to a .357SIG but the ammo availability is somewhat limited and the cost just not worth it.

Sometimes carry a large capacity 9mm as well, for special occasions.

10mm in a subcompact??  Recoil must be a b****

Better not let my wife see this..