Introduction and question

Koggelbeer

Hi guys I'm new to mtb . Im from the Free State.

I'm riding a Titan Rogue Ryder 2018 29".

Now the question, my bike shop that sold me the bike a while ago converted my tyres to tubeless and that is been giving me a pain in the butt. I mostly ride on the farm and we have a lot of thorns , the sealant is doing te job, but every now and then the tyres get flat, is it normal for the tyre to go of the bead everytime it goes flat?

Hi. No. Tubeless if done correctly it is fantastic. I never puncture in the Free State thorns. Sounds to me as if the tyres are not right if they climb off the rim. Also ensure that you are well topped up with sealant.

Welcome.

Sounds like something is not right. You should be able to see if the bead is sitting correctly on your rim (tyres normally have a moulded line near where they meet the rim, make sure this runs parallel to the rim). If not try over inflating (pump, CO2 bomb) gradually and see if it pops into place. Watch some Youtube videos to see what/how etc. Also you LBS should be able to help you out with re-seating the tyre. 

What tyres and rim combination do you have ?

Everything is original on the bike, original rims and the tyres, markings on the tyre is something like Hornet Titan Racing, but I don't see anything about tubeless or tubeless ready on the tyre or the rim

Welcome.

Sounds like something is not right. You should be able to see if the bead is sitting correctly on your rim (tyres normally have a moulded line near where they meet the rim, make sure this runs parallel to the rim). If not try over inflating (pump, CO2 bomb) gradually and see if it pops into place. Watch some Youtube videos to see what/how etc. Also you LBS should be able to help you out with re-seating the tyre.

Thanks I'll have a look, I've watched alot of videos on YouTube and saw the guys seating the tyre and then deflating it again to put in the sealant, and the tyre stays seated when deflated, thats what's irritating me about my tyres. Every time it deflates I have to use the compressor and some soapy water to seat it again

I'm not familiar with the tyres, but I would venture a guess that if they are the stock standard tyres that came with the bike, they likely aren't tubeless or tubeless ready tyres, which is why they keep popping off the rims when deflating.

This however, is only a guess. Post a photo or two of the tyres and rims so we can have a look

I'm not familiar with the tyres, but I would venture a guess that if they are the stock standard tyres that came with the bike, they likely aren't tubeless or tubeless ready tyres, which is why they keep popping off the rims when deflating.

This however, is only a guess. Post a photo or two of the tyres and rims so we can have a look

Exactly what I was thinking 

post-615-0-02355000-1573914051_thumb.png

Thanks I'll have a look, I've watched alot of videos on YouTube and saw the guys seating the tyre and then deflating it again to put in the sealant, and the tyre stays seated when deflated, thats what's irritating me about my tyres. Every time it deflates I have to use the compressor and some soapy water to seat it again

A CO2 cartridge works well to seat the tire (you should hear at least 2 pops as the beads find their groove), or an air compressor if you have one. Then deflate fully (you don't want CO2 inside the tyre longterm) and re-inflate with an air pump (the stand-up jobs are great for this). 

I run Vittorias and you need a lot of patience and half a dozen beers to get those things off the rim. What I am saying is: it might just be that the tyres are not well matched to your rim.

But hey, get the bike shop to sort it out ...  ^_^

Possibly the tyres are not tubeless ready and could also be too narrow for the rim they on . Tubeless with the right amount of slime is the answer for thorns  here on the High Veld . When we finish a 60 km ride one will have at least 4 to 8 thorn heads in the tyre . We just cut them off and leave the single thorn in the tyre . It wears off on the outside and the sealant is your friend . On the rare occasion that you have a big cut in the tyre and you need a tube to get you home you need to take the tyre  off and pull all those thorns out from the inside before you can put the tube in . 

Never heard of those tyres so they may not meet international specs which could mean cheap materials and poor tyre bead/casing uniformity which will result in difficult seating/inflation and high puncture rates.

Continental released a new generation of their tyres last year and these can be inflated and seated easily with a hand pump. No compressor or bombs needed. Race King and Cross King models in both budget line (Shieldwall) and premium (ProTection) will all inflate with a hand pump. Make sure they're new generation models as the previous models don't have this capability.

Bomb inflation can affect the sealant and shorten its lifespan. Sealant should in any event be replaced every 4-6 months as it deteriorates with age and riding conditions.