How to stop a squeaking PF30 BB

Veebee

Pressfit is the most evil design ever let loose on humankind.

I replace the BB on my son's old Giant HT with an Enduro BB, the one that screw together. Still has to do his on his Cannondale Scalpel Si DS.

trust me, the screw together BB isn't necessarily a fix for the Scalpel creak because I'll bet its not the BB at all but rather the upper or lower pivot shaft. Check for play in those bearings and make sure if they have been replaced that they are refitted using a Loctite retaining compound. The amount of creaking on my dale is getting to the point where I'm ready to consider a Spaz.......

oh and check the seat post as well....

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you order it from? Do you have the tool? Keen on getting one but don’t know how easy it is to find the tool, or what it costs, and I doubt my lbs has one. My bb is pissing me off, ticks like a friggin metronome every time I put the power down.

I bought of Amazon and got the tool also.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018HHRC6W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Manufacturing-Bracket-44-48-5-Accessories/dp/B01MSUS05J/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/136-3407573-8509867?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MSUS05J&pd_rd_r=a5d6859a-ac7c-4484-85a8-10bcbce66354&pd_rd_w=EqzwO&pd_rd_wg=esbXe&pf_rd_p=09627863-9889-4290-b90a-5e9f86682449&pf_rd_r=7KT324DQMCK4EHQRYZTM&psc=1&refRID=7KT324DQMCK4EHQRYZTM

local guys are out of stock and could not give me a date of when stock was expected.

https://switchbacksports.co.za/collections/wheels-mfg?tb-tg-standard=PF30

So whaddayouknow, my lbs has stock of the wheels threaded pf30 bb. Kudos to Farid at Cyclezone in Rustenburg. No tool though, can use the Parktool BBT-029, ordered that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Did you get the Token tool to install this BB, notice that in some cases you have to buy a specific tool for i guess the tread on their BB's.

I got a Thread together BB to replace a PF from Token cycling that sorted my scott out, and it was just under R600, worth every sent and they will help you to select the correct one as well.

2 years later and best money I have spent in a long time.

Did you get the Token tool to install this BB, notice that in some cases you have to buy a specific tool for i guess the tread on their BB's.

The token ninja BB's use a 49mm OD 16 notch socket . The wheels manufacturing  BB and others use a 48.5mm OD 16 notch socket.

so in order to install the token BB you need the Token tool or a Park Tool BBT27/27.2 16 notch socket.

Last time I checked CCS did not have the BBT27.2 available but it is available from ChainReaction.

thank you for the info and reply.

The token ninja BB's use a 49mm OD 16 notch socket . The wheels manufacturing  BB and others use a 48.5mm OD 16 notch socket.

so in order to install the token BB you need the Token tool or a Park Tool BBT27/27.2 16 notch socket.

Last time I checked CCS did not have the BBT27.2 available but it is available from ChainReaction.

Sell bike. Buy threaded bb bike. School fees paid. Or get one of them screw in versions by praxis or Endurobearing