Veebee

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone use Angular Contact bearings ?

Are these the way to go with the Wheels bb ?

Angular contact (7000 series) will increase your rotational drag but they will cater for BB shell misalignment a lot better than  deep groove radial bearings. If you suspect you BB might not be aligned then opt for the angular contact. You will have to have some sort of pre load device on your ranks to allow these bearings to work.

Also opt for steel cage bearings if staying with the radial type (6000 series) as these have lower friction as the balls don't wander about on the race as they would with a plastic cage. The steel cage is an absolute must if the BB is not aligned.*

* BB misalignment is not uncommon in carbon frames. This is not just a BB facing issue but in many frames the BB cavities are not concentric to each other and often ovalised coming out of the mould

Imo If you dont have a thread together bb in your pf30 frame you probably didnt do you homework or didnt build your bike yourself. The R1k you pay for a thread in pf30 bb vs the R500 for the junk is n no brainer.

Praxis also makes a 24/30mm thread together expanding pf30 bb and it uses normal external bb cup tools. Mine has been golden and maintenance free up to now.

Bite the bullet and get the right thing for the job imo. Everything else is a bodge. Pf30 sucks nuts for most people but you'll appreciate it once you want to plonk an eccentric bb in there to turn your bike into a SS if you don't have horizontal slide outs.

Imo If you dont have a thread together bb in your pf30 frame you probably didnt do you homework or didnt build your bike yourself. The R1k you pay for a thread in pf30 bb vs the R500 for the junk is n no brainer.

Praxis also makes a 24/30mm thread together expanding pf30 bb and it uses normal external bb cup tools. Mine has been golden and maintenance free up to now.

Bite the bullet and get the right thing for the job imo. Everything else is a bodge. Pf30 sucks nuts for most people but you'll appreciate it once you want to plonk an eccentric bb in there to turn your bike into a SS if you don't have horizontal slide outs.

I agree, got one from Token for R580 for my Scott, worth every sent

Oh no, I ordered a frameset that comes with CeramicSpeed PF4630 BB. It also comes with a 24mm reducer for a Shimano crank. I was just going to use a retaining compound but it sounds like I need to take further measures?

Edited by Andreas_187

To summarise all above. Ditch press fit. Go threaded.

If possible buy a bike with a T47 BB!

I'm hoping that will become the new standard....

I ordered the Wheels threaded BB, it should be arriving today/tomorrow. Went for this option as its complete alloy vs the Token which still uses some plastic on the shell. While the Token may work, I wasn't taking any chances again.

Token ceramic PF30 with 24mm adapters will be up for sale soon.

I’ve spent a fair amount of money on trying to get my PF30’s creaking resolved and I even seriously considered having my PF30 BB threaded to T47.

However, it seems the most reasonable explanation for a BB creaking is misalignment and incorrect spacing of the bearings that support the crank axle and simply cutting a thread will not necessarily resolve either.

There seems to be a number of approaches to address this problem, e.g. shimano uses plastic cups, the logic being that plastic will yield before the bearings gets misaligned.   

However, I’ve decided to go with a solution that altogether removes the misalignment & spacing problem by buying a very accurately machined sleeve that slides into PF30BB.

PF30-CA-RD_2048x.jpg?v=1533058306

Mine’s currently on its way from BBinfinite (https://www.bbinfinite.com/), but Hambini also sells a similar solution.

To anyone interested in a more technical explanation, I suggest watching a recent Hambini video on this matter: Pressfit vs Threaded Bottom Brackets: An Engineering Analysis

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZ2wnS5X4s) 

I ordered the Wheels threaded BB, it should be arriving today/tomorrow. Went for this option as its complete alloy vs the Token which still uses some plastic on the shell. While the Token may work, I wasn't taking any chances again.

Token ceramic PF30 with 24mm adapters will be up for sale soon.

Where did you order it from? Do you have the tool? Keen on getting one but don’t know how easy it is to find the tool, or what it costs, and I doubt my lbs has one. My bb is pissing me off, ticks like a friggin metronome every time I put the power down.

Pressfit is the most evil design ever let loose on humankind.

I replace the BB on my son's old Giant HT with an Enduro BB, the one that screw together. Still has to do his on his Cannondale Scalpel Si DS.