Keeping it real with Steel.....Scelerat is going back

Waxhead

will try, but it gets quite hectic at Epic with the clock, especially as i have development riders top look after as well....u chasing your ass all the time.

Will do a follow up at the end of Epic on this forum but try look out for my posts on FB - Max Waxhead Menzies 

Just followed ... look out for an account called "Joumase Vietse"

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Made a few small changes in the build up with a different tire selection & size and also cut new steel chainrings to 33/22 as i will need to be able to climb in order to make the strict cut-offs

Think that would kill me. I would prefer to spin more on the flats.

33/22 is a nice climbing gear

33/22 is 1.5...

I was always way more comfortable 33/19 or rode Lesotho Sky 33/20 in the 1.65/1.74 range.

It's a good idea to save the legs Max. 8 days of riding and that 1.5 starts getting stiff!

All the best Max. Last Epic before you take Scelerat on a real adventure like Freedom Challenge RASA?

33/22 is 1.5...

I was always way more comfortable 33/19 or rode Lesotho Sky 33/20 in the 1.65/1.74 range.

It's a good idea to save the legs Max. 8 days of riding and that 1.5 starts getting stiff!

All the best Max. Last Epic before you take Scelerat on a real adventure like Freedom Challenge RASA?

Thought about RASA, but MUNGA was really hard for me (119 hours and 30 minutes) but need a SS partner for that one i feel 

Thought about RASA, but MUNGA was really hard for me (119 hours and 30 minutes) but need a SS partner for that one i feel 

Yeah... One thing about RASA is that there is no need to move fast, you just need to keep moving.

I'd join you if I could afford it!

All the bike specs are in this Bike Magazine SA issue just released

Made two changes to bike photo for Sunday start:

1.         HOPE four pod v4 with new rotors and silver braizedcable !!
  2.          2.6 Argo Vittoria tires for front and rear wheels........wicked

post-40773-0-46852600-1583844365_thumb.jpg

I tried Vittoria tyres once. Did not like them. What pressures you running please? I much prefer the Spez tyres but don' think they make that size. I currently run 20 PSI exact and happy with that.

Spaz do do a 2.6" width, but they are more 2.4" when measured.

I tried Vittoria tyres once. Did not like them. What pressures you running please? I much prefer the Spez tyres but don' think they make that size. I currently run 20 PSI exact and happy with that.

Epic set-up will be Front 11PSI and Rear = 16 PSI.........i use Csixx Foamo inserts as a safety net

Edited by Waxhead

Legit question 

Why go for the V4 caliper ? It's much heavier than the X2 that would provide more than enough power I think 

what's the total weight ? Sorry if its been mentioned before 

Legit question 

Why go for the V4 caliper ? It's much heavier than the X2 that would provide more than enough power I think 

what's the total weight ? Sorry if its been mentioned before 

not really a weight weenie......always needed the bike to be as strong as possible. My experience has been on a the technical rides the lighter stuff does not stand up to the workload. V4 because its the best (40 grams less than Formula Cura out of interest - thats including rotors, cable, everything) , top of the Hope range and i know IT the distributer. Total bike weight.....dont even know exactly  - say 12.5kg all in

not really a weight weenie......always needed the bike to be as strong as possible. My experience has been on a the technical rides the lighter stuff does not stand up to the workload. V4 because its the best (40 grams less than Formula Cura out of interest - thats including rotors, cable, everything) , top of the Hope range and i know IT the distributer. Total bike weight.....dont even know exactly - say 12.5kg all in

Fair argument, bike will probably still go when we're all in the ground :D

I have just learnt something. Going to check out these inserts. Thanks.

Personally, I prefer tougher casings over inserts. The result ito weight is the same, more or less, between the 2 systems. Tougher casings are always preferable in my opinion. 

I have just learnt something. Going to check out these inserts. Thanks.

I will be getting some cush core inserts when I do a carbon wheel-build later this year - a bit expensive but the reviews are good. My experience with FOAMO has been less than impressive. I have found my sealant clogs up much more, and it is much less effective at sealing any punctures.