New MTB (20-30K)

Zama7

Are you sure you want to go 1x on the chainring? 

I love having my bailout gear on the steep stuff, I detest walking in a bike race, feels like sacrilege. Plus being able to still put the power down at 50kph when the 1x guys are spinning out is nice.

Just something to consider.

Otherwise, nice bike.

I have a 32T front ring and I can't see myself needing a lower gear than when I'm on the 50T at the back - will probably start rolling backwards while pedaling.

I do occasionally spin out at the top end but not often enough to be an issue. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 32T front ring and I can't see myself needing a lower gear than when I'm on the 50T at the back - will probably start rolling backwards while pedaling.

I do occasionally spin out at the top end but not often enough to be an issue. 

I hear you.

The concept of a 50t cog at the back still boggles my mind...

Isn't that supposed to go on the crank? :P

I agree to a certain extent with you. On the cycle challenge last year I spun out with my 1x set-up but then again, a mtb does not really belong on the cycle challenge  :whistling:  :offtopic:

But what I found lately - the fitter you become the easier it becomes to spin at 130-150 cadence for short periods of a time on the flats

Are you sure you want to go 1x on the chainring? 

I love having my bailout gear on the steep stuff, I detest walking in a bike race, feels like sacrilege. Plus being able to still put the power down at 50kph when the 1x guys are spinning out is nice.

Just something to consider.

Otherwise, nice bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you have not bought a bike yet. Just a question, have you considered financing a bike throught Yonda? 

I had the same budget issues you had +-R30K, but by financing it I am paying R1600 for a R55K bike.

Hey guys any idea what it costs to spray paint a bike ? Want to buy this baby but need to change the colour ASAP. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1077197239287223/

The prices vary .... as each design differs widely .....

A basic single colour with a few decals is about R 2 500.  Then you get jobs that takes weeks of air brushing, and causes your bank manager to loose sleep ....

Hey guys found a nice bike but want to spray paint the frame. Is it difficult to remove all the components ? (Will obviously need to get all the tools) 

Nope, takes about 20 - 40 min to do. Hopefully you'll send the frame away and not spray it yourself  :D

Hey guys found a nice bike but want to spray paint the frame. Is it difficult to remove all the components ? (Will obviously need to get all the tools)