New MTB (20-30K)

Zama7

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This post confuses me - well taken care off, 2014 model, sad to let it go after only 2 rides, realised it's too small. Guess it had a previous owner, therefore how the previous owner took care of it is more important but unfortunately unknown. If this is the original owner then I'm just sad that the bike has been gathering dust.

A quick browse through the classifieds - in your shoes I'd go with the below as a first choice unless there was frame damage.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/384593/santa-cruz-tallboy-large

Edit: And put a Lyne dropper on it.

Edit: Does look really good in the pictures.

Edited by piotter

Only problem is the location as I am based in Pretoria. I assume this bike was bought second hand as a 2014 bike is old although the price and specs appear very good. Only concern is a mate told me a Carbon Frame generally only lasts about 5 years and if the previous owner road it a lot won't it only last a year or two ? 

I know nothing about this particular bike, but the statement that a carbon frame generally only lasts about 5 years is nonsense. Carbon frames are very durable, probably more so than Alu frames, unless of course you purposefully abuse them but then it's not the material's fault.

Only problem is the location as I am based in Pretoria. I assume this bike was bought second hand as a 2014 bike is old although the price and specs appear very good. Only concern is a mate told me a Carbon Frame generally only lasts about 5 years and if the previous owner road it a lot won't it only last a year or two ? 

I don't know where you got that info from, but that's not true at all.  Carbon essentially has no fatigue life.

Now, there's bad carbon and good carbon, just like bad and good alu and steel.  Bad carbon will be a problem, just like bad steel.  Good carbon is really good.

Carbon has had issues when it started in cycling, just like anything new has growing pains.  You have to do research on pre-2000 carbon.  Carbon needed a different quality control than metal.  2014 carbon is safe.

NOTE: I'm not pushing you one way or another.  I'm just trying to stop bad information.

I will not look further, if you're willing to max your budget (bearing in mind that you will need kit as well) then I will just pull the trigger and get it out of the way  :D. Yes there's other factors people will tell you why they won't get that one i.e. the Brain shock services are quite pricey and the 1x11 is not a 1x12 blah blah. 

But if you want some more confusion in your life and you feel that you need some analysis paralysis then I can gladly give you some additional things to bear in mind: 

• Have you decided if you are going to take up the sport as a stand a alone sport or are you going to aim for the dual / tri scene? 
  • Can you afford a R30k price tag on an item that you'll only do on a part-time basis? If you can, then buy the Spaz  :D. If not, then I would rather be more conservative with my purchase until I know whether or not it is something I want to do on a more regular basis. 
  • I will steer clear of buying new "of the shelf" as a first purchase until such time that you know the various specifications and or what you like. 
  • You do not "NEED" to get a dual suspension, you can even get a "Hard Tail" which will be cheaper and even lighter. 
  • Do you not have a friend or two who'll be able to borrow you a bike? You may end up doing the Sani and then not like the sport at all.

I'm also based in PTA so maybe send me a pm - I do not know everything about anything but I may be able to give you some additional tips and could even possibly get you on a loan bike for a week or two  :)

Thanks I see you can get a decent Carbon 2nd hand between 25-30 K which might be a better buy than a new aluminium for 30k. 

Will visit Bike Market this weekend and check out  - https://bikemarket.co.za/shop/bicycles/mountain-bikes/specialized-epic-l-bm3826/

The Anthem any day. Comfortable bike, with loads of potential. For an AL frame it's surprisingly light too, and if it has a 2x drive train, you can cut that weight by going to 1x.

Thanks guys, might currently be looking at a 2nd hand bike but not sure if the warranty on the frame passes over to the new owner?

Currently looking at:

2017 Scott Spark 950 - 20k

2018 Giant Anthem 2 - 25K

Will go visit a few bikes shops tomorrow in JHB / PTA to check out the available stock

Hey guys saw this which seems like a pretty good deal ? Any thoughts 

https://bikemarket.co.za/shop/bicycles/mountain-bikes/specialized-camber-l-bm3920/

Are you sure you want to go 1x on the chainring? 

I love having my bailout gear on the steep stuff, I detest walking in a bike race, feels like sacrilege. Plus being able to still put the power down at 50kph when the 1x guys are spinning out is nice.

Just something to consider.

Otherwise, nice bike.