USN MTB 2020

Overvaal Events

Is the USN MTB Cup suitable for beginners? Is it marathon or cross country?

Hi Stiaan. It depends on the event. The first at Avianto is quite technical; second one at Red Barn is fast and flowy; third at Modderfontein has lots of flowy singletracks but you climb a bit more than at the Barn. For 50km as the longest distance, it actually takes you almost as long as a marathon as most of the route is singletrack.

wil be doing my 1st at Avianto this year aswell. Did red barn and modderfontein last year and have to say both of those were fun, Guess we will have to see how technical this one would be????

With all the rains we had recently does anyone know how muddy avianto is at present?

I just had a look at the weather forecast, looks like a few days of solid rain preceding and on race day. Its gona be wet and wild :) Any tips from fellow bikehubbers for riding in mud?

I just had a look at the weather forecast, looks like a few days of solid rain preceding and on race day. Its gona be wet and wild :) Any tips from fellow bikehubbers for riding in mud?

Put on a tyre with a bit more height on the knobs. Tried the Vittoria Barzo/Mezcal and its grip comes alive in the wet. It should still struggle in deep mud like any tyre, but I have found that something with flat knobbies slides all over the place.On the technique: just get into a low gear and pedal through. Follow the tread patterns of the ones before you to help steer your front wheel in the right direction. Otherwise your wheel will have a way of its own...

Im due for a new tyre at the back, but local bikeshop only got maxxis icon and crossmark 2,

Im looking forward to the weekend think its gonna be fun????.

Quite a muddy race. But was quite fun in the end. 50 km was shortened to the 25 route due to the river flooding.

post-37059-0-67873900-1581327384_thumb.jpg

I saw photos of the avianto pool being used by participants to rinse bikes and themselves. Wonder if the race organisers will be paying for the rehabilitation of said pool. (Looked like river water)

If it was my pool, I would have lost my **** completely.

I saw photos of the avianto pool being used by participants to rinse bikes and themselves. Wonder if the race organisers will be paying for the rehabilitation of said pool. (Looked like river water)

The same happened at the Lido hotel swimming pool that time we started and finished the Fast One there a few years ago... Cycling races are no longer welcome to my knowledge!

What utter pricks. Then they’ll complain when the location tells them to **** off next time. Did anyone challenge them I wonder? ******* *****

Jus my oupa would've bliksem Ed those people just out of principle, think usn will likely foot the bill in the background if they ever want to host an event there again