Are you?

Eddy Gordo

A bike Mechanic  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Would you call yourself

• That Guy : Ride it as is, can fix a puncture, but Always braking down especially on rides. Almost or never sees a bike shop for a service
    • Outsourcer : bike gets Cleaned and lubed, but is always sent to a shop
    • Jack : Can fix most things, build a bike. Tune and replace drive train, Bike goes to a shop for pivots, suspension, and brake bleed
    • Wrencher : Can fix most things and build a bike. Bleed brakes, service pivots, build wheels. Tune and replace drive train, Bike goes to a shop for suspension
    • Mechanic : Anything and everything bike related can be serviced and tuned. Suspension can be serviced
    • Droo: Anything and everything bike related. Can even customise parts to fit, rebuild suspension to a diff spec.

My comment was aimed more at the "just take it to the LBS" type person. The kind that at the most can fix a puncture, anything else must go to the LBS.

Over the years I've helped people with chains stuck between crank and BB, bikes with gears that wont change into the biggest cog or keep slipping, lose saddles, stems etc. 

Mostly just basic things that a smidgen of time to learn the skills can turn an abandoned ride into a completed ride

So it was aimed exactly at me  :P  If its a mishap that would only happen once every leap year I'm not going to bother to learn how to fix it. Tyres and chains break often enough that I made the effort.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cable end cap does the trick

I mean solder the end of the cable once it is cut to length. This allows one to pull it out of the housing without risking a frayed end.

My comment was aimed more at the "just take it to the LBS" type person. The kind that at the most can fix a puncture, anything else must go to the LBS.

Over the years I've helped people with chains stuck between crank and BB, bikes with gears that wont change into the biggest cog or keep slipping, lose saddles, stems etc. 

Mostly just basic things that a smidgen of time to learn the skills can turn an abandoned ride into a completed ride

Think I should edit that first one and ad can fix puncture. Shot