Are you?

Eddy Gordo

A bike Mechanic  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Would you call yourself

• That Guy : Ride it as is, can fix a puncture, but Always braking down especially on rides. Almost or never sees a bike shop for a service
    • Outsourcer : bike gets Cleaned and lubed, but is always sent to a shop
    • Jack : Can fix most things, build a bike. Tune and replace drive train, Bike goes to a shop for pivots, suspension, and brake bleed
    • Wrencher : Can fix most things and build a bike. Bleed brakes, service pivots, build wheels. Tune and replace drive train, Bike goes to a shop for suspension
    • Mechanic : Anything and everything bike related can be serviced and tuned. Suspension can be serviced
    • Droo: Anything and everything bike related. Can even customise parts to fit, rebuild suspension to a diff spec.

Local mechanic for me.

I once tried setting my brakes and somehow undid my derailleurs cable. Don't ask me how.

I do try and do the basics myself every now and then, but don't really have the tools for anything else.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Halfway between Jack and Wrencher - I can build a bike and bleed brakes, but don't have dual sus, so out of the game there and haven't needed to build wheels. yet...

I always make certain I f*ck up someting major the night before a race. If I don't break something I loose something. But I have lots of spares and all the tools which I also don't know where they are.

Its 2 o'clock in the morning, I have to get up at 5 but I'm stealing/borrowing a spoke/valve/speed link/pedal from my wife's bike because I stuffed up something that did not require repairing.

I strip and clean my bikes after any water crossing (MTB and Road), rainy day or when I need to change some components.

Initially it was “once in a while” until one day my rear mech stopped working. I opened it up and found grit and grime bad enough that an archaeologist would be wanting to look for a fossil. Takes me less than 30 minutes for a basic strip/rebuild and about an hour for the full house.

Cassette, chainrings, cranks, chain, seat post, BB and headset are checked monthly, while cassette and chain are cleaned after every “wet” ride as mentioned above. Cables are a little more difficult, mostly because the risk of fraying is higher once the cable is cut. The next time I cut a cable, I want to try adding a dab of solder to the end.

Cable end cap does the trick

I always make certain I f*ck up someting major the night before a race. If I don't break something I loose something. But I have lots of spares and all the tools which I also don't know where they are.

Its 2 o'clock in the morning, I have to get up at 5 but I'm stealing/borrowing a spoke/valve/speed link/pedal from my wife's bike because I stuffed up something that did not require repairing.

Here's a thought. Apart from loading your bike in the car the night before...

step away from the bicycle!  :nuke: 

Been there, done that. Messed up the front brakes and had to borrow parts on the morning of the event  :blush:

Time is too precious to prioritise fixing bikes over riding bikes.

You have to weigh how much time and effort it's going to take you to fix it vs taking it to a pro and paying them to do it. For small jobs it's less hassle than to take the bike to the Lbs, but for others it's worth it to have the pros fix it.

You have to weigh how much time and effort it's going to take you to fix it vs taking it to a pro and paying them to do it. For small jobs it's less hassle than to take the bike to the Lbs, but for others it's worth it to have the pros fix it.

100%

Time is too precious to prioritise fixing bikes over riding bikes.

the thing is, its good to know how to fix something, so when you have a mechanical 100km from home you have some sort of idea on what to do. Granted it might not always be possible to fix it on the side of the road.

the thing is, its good to know how to fix something, so when you have a mechanical 100km from home you have some sort of idea on what to do. Granted it might not always be possible to fix it on the side of the road.

Good point. To be fair, I have built up a fairly good toolkit and do do a few of the basics at home. I am capable of trail side repairs up to changing a rear hanger. My comment was more along the lines of servicing and bigger jobs than quick fixes.

Generally I favour reliability over weight when buying bike parts. I can fix a broken chain & a puncture.

That's good enough to get me home on 99% of my rides, for the other 1% I phone my wife or Uber or hitch a ride in the sweeper van. The 1% ratio I can live with.

Generally I favour reliability over weight when buying bike parts. I can fix a broken chain & a puncture.

That's good enough to get me home on 99% of my rides, for the other 1% I phone my wife or Uber or hitch a ride in the sweeper van. The 1% ratio I can live with.

My comment was aimed more at the "just take it to the LBS" type person. The kind that at the most can fix a puncture, anything else must go to the LBS.

Over the years I've helped people with chains stuck between crank and BB, bikes with gears that wont change into the biggest cog or keep slipping, lose saddles, stems etc. 

Mostly just basic things that a smidgen of time to learn the skills can turn an abandoned ride into a completed ride