Are you?

Eddy Gordo

A bike Mechanic  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Would you call yourself

• That Guy : Ride it as is, can fix a puncture, but Always braking down especially on rides. Almost or never sees a bike shop for a service
    • Outsourcer : bike gets Cleaned and lubed, but is always sent to a shop
    • Jack : Can fix most things, build a bike. Tune and replace drive train, Bike goes to a shop for pivots, suspension, and brake bleed
    • Wrencher : Can fix most things and build a bike. Bleed brakes, service pivots, build wheels. Tune and replace drive train, Bike goes to a shop for suspension
    • Mechanic : Anything and everything bike related can be serviced and tuned. Suspension can be serviced
    • Droo: Anything and everything bike related. Can even customise parts to fit, rebuild suspension to a diff spec.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YouTube ...

buy more tools ...

puts on poker face ...

shows Maritz how it should be done ...

still want to try my hand at suspension 

Somewhere between Jack and Wrencher, can bleed my own brakes and service bushing pivots. Don't have a bearing press so anything bearing related goes to the shop and Nick the Wheelbuilder does all my wheel stuff for me. 

I was unable to fit a Barzo to my front rim on Saturday. After copious amounts of sweat and nearly flinging the rim against the wall in frustration, it is now hanging on my garage wall waiting for its visit to the LBS to show me how stupid I am at fitting a tyre.

I was unable to fit a Barzo to my front rim on Saturday. After copious amounts of sweat and nearly flinging the rim against the wall in frustration, it is now hanging on my garage wall waiting for its visit to the LBS to show me how stupid I am at fitting a tyre.

try some sunlight dish liquid with water, it helps a little. You can also leave the tyre out in the sun to soften it. Should help(not make easier) to get it on. Sometimes, I have to get my son to hold onto one lever while i try and convince the bead that it is supposed to slip over the rim

Outsourcer with a slight twist.

I can keep my bike clean, replace chains and tyres but that's about it.

I don't take my bike to a shop, I support my home mechanic instead and trust him with my life.

Definitely the outsourcer - I have zero mechanical inclinations - would rather spend 5 hours riding the bike than 5 minutes working on the bike.

Always intrigued by peeps spending hours time tinkering on their bikes and even more hours talking about what they are tinkering on their bikes but never actually finding the time to ride their bikes.

Edited by Skubarra

Definitely the outsourcer - I have zero mechanical inclinations - would rather spend 5 hours riding the bike than 5 minutes working on the bike.

Always intrigued by peeps spending hours time tinkering on their bikes and even more hours talking about what they are tinkering on their bikes but never actually finding the time to ride their bikes.

Agreed, seems to be a common thing as well.

31CreHyl2rL._SX466_.jpg

Problem? Really?

try some sunlight dish liquid with water, it helps a little. You can also leave the tyre out in the sun to soften it. Should help(not make easier) to get it on. Sometimes, I have to get my son to hold onto one lever while i try and convince the bead that it is supposed to slip over the rim

I can second that. Been there myself where I battled for days with a Racing Ralph.

If its a used tire, wash and leave to dry. 

I use sunlight soap (find this works better than the liquid)   to coat the rim and the inside of the bead. Works easily after that.

Tinkering in the garage - beit on the bike or some other project - is my stress relieve ....

week-nights I am tinkering away in the garage.

Week-ends on the bike  (well, as soon as the physio gives me the green light ... suffering severe withdrawal at the moment ...)

31CreHyl2rL._SX466_.jpg

Problem? Really?

I have a set of three parktool tyre levers, and I greased the wheel with sunlight, and vloeked plenty. nada helped. For me to go buy a set of additional tools is impractical. I am collecting the wheel from the LBS later today. While there, I watched the mechanic try fit the rubber...and just smiled and left. I am sure that I would eventually have gotten it on, but in the interest of sanity, this time I relented.

I find it weird though, since I easily change tyres on my Spez. But this Barzo is another beast entirely.

I have a set of three parktool tyre levers, and I greased the wheel with sunlight, and vloeked plenty. nada helped. For me to go buy a set of additional tools is impractical. I am collecting the wheel from the LBS later today. While there, I watched the mechanic try fit the rubber...and just smiled and left. I am sure that I would eventually have gotten it on, but in the interest of sanity, this time I relented.

I find it weird though, since I easily change tyres on my Spez. But this Barzo is another beast entirely.

No I get where you're coming from...The pictures are of truck tire levers.....

I strip and clean my bikes after any water crossing (MTB and Road), rainy day or when I need to change some components.

Initially it was “once in a while” until one day my rear mech stopped working. I opened it up and found grit and grime bad enough that an archaeologist would be wanting to look for a fossil. Takes me less than 30 minutes for a basic strip/rebuild and about an hour for the full house.

Cassette, chainrings, cranks, chain, seat post, BB and headset are checked monthly, while cassette and chain are cleaned after every “wet” ride as mentioned above. Cables are a little more difficult, mostly because the risk of fraying is higher once the cable is cut. The next time I cut a cable, I want to try adding a dab of solder to the end.

I would not want to call myself a mechanic but I suppose I am one by above definition and by necessity.

But I only DO because there is always DROO as a backup. Always willing to sort it out and for info.

SOooo much info on the www. But be judicious.