I’m stuck

DemiCat

My cleats are going for 4 years,I think they need replacing

Replace the pedals as well.  I always have a spare set of pedals and cleats in my garage.  You never know when you will need them.

Hi

It happens from time to time (mostly after an uphill) that I cannot get either foot out of the pedals. (Mtb Spd cleats and double sided clip less pedals). I think the cleats can also clip out in more than one way, as in heels outwards or inwards, if that helps.

Any advice as to what the problem could be ? Still working on my mechanical skills here

Thanks in advance

If you have shimano pedals, and cleats have a look at what type of cleats you have 

Shimano have two types,  Sh51 and SH 56

SH 51 has only ONE way of getting your feet out where 56 is a bit more loose.

Look at this article.

Also you should be able to adjust the tension, again look at the link you will see a +- Allen key bolt in the pic on the pedal.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12954872/spd-cleats-sh51-versus-sh56

I am very familiar with clipping in, not being able to clip out is a recent problem, hence I asked if there could be mechanical problem.

Check the springs of the retention mechanism in the pedals. sometimes stones get lodged in the spring limiting th movement. typically it will also be harder to clip in

If I am not mistaken, the "oil in the wax" is in fact paraffin.

Correct, also what makes it burn.