Charlotte Maxeke hospital - advice request

Hackster

Hoping someone has some advice for me.

I have a family member who is in very poor health and who doesn't have the funds for private health care.

She has been receiving treatment from Charlotte Maxeke hospital, and has had one operation to her throat and now requires another.

But every time they tell her to come for this operation, they cancel it on her arrival.

She hasn't been able to take in solids for some weeks now and is skeletally thin, weak and close to collapse.

Does anyone have any advice on how to navigate the system at Charlotte Maxeke (aka Joburg Gen)?

Thanks in advance

I have a family member who is in very poor health and who doesn't have the funds for private health care.

She has been receiving treatment from Charlotte Maxeke hospital, and has had one operation to her throat and now requires another.

But every time they tell her to come for this operation, they cancel it on her arrival.

She hasn't been able to take in solids for some weeks now and is skeletally thin, weak and close to collapse.

Does anyone have any advice on how to navigate the system at Charlotte Maxeke (aka Joburg Gen)?

Thanks in advance

Sorry I can’t help much, other than to give your post a bit of a bump so perhaps someone else will see it.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks in advance

Hi Hackster.

My wife works at Charlotte.

She says the best way to go about it is to complain about the service she has received. There is a quality assurance office at the main entrance on the 5th floor, opposite the Help Desk. The matter will be escalated from there. 

This is all I have for you at the moment buddy, all the best. 

Government hospitals....what a nightmare of a joke. A few years ago I had to take my dad to the worst of the worst...Koster Hospital in the NW.....my dad had Alzheimers and he was ill treated from the get go...
That sh$thole didn't even have any wheel chairs....when I got to the hospital the next day my dad had marks all over his face....those things called 'nurses'...they didn't even know what Alzheimers was....just got the standard 'huh....whaaat isss diss tingggg Alzimmerssssssss?"
That was it for me, I took my dad away from there...

Anyway, getting to my point, I wound up getting the HRC involved....actually had the Minister of Health for the NW meet me  in town to apologise....supposedly the nurses were to be better educated but I ain't betting any of my bikes on that...I did originally complain to some clown at the hospital but that was just a waste of my time (and I reached a new threshold in anger management)....the idiot could barely string a sentence together...

(A few years later my dad died in the other sh$thole excuse for a hospital called Leratong...5 or 6 weeks he was in with a broken leg and no operation...3 or 4 different doctors who couldn't care less (or didn't know what a broken leg must feel like)....Having to go through every day to feed him and clean him and make sure he was OK.....to the day I die I will regret not being able to do more for my dad. Yes, my folks should have had med aid but didn't. My dad still paid his taxes through his working life and dying in a state hospital with minimal med attention was his reward.....)

Ubuntu....You can shove that crap.

Edited by Mojoman

Government hospitals....what a nightmare of a joke. A few years ago I had to take my dad to the worst of the worst...Koster Hospital in the NW.....my dad had Alzheimers and he was ill treated from the get go...

That sh$thole didn't even have any wheel chairs....when I got to the hospital the next day my dad had marks all over his face....those things called 'nurses'...they didn't even know what Alzheimers was....just got the standard 'huh....whaaat isss diss tingggg Alzimmerssssssss?"

Anyway, getting to my point, I wound up getting the HRC involved....actually had the Minister of Health for the NW meet me in town to apologise....supposedly the nurses were to be better educated but I ain't betting any of my bikes on that...I did originally complain to some clown at the hospital but that was just a waste of my time (and I reached a new threshold in anger management)....the idiot could barely string a sentence together...

(A few years later my dad died in the other sh$thole excuse for a hospital called Leratong...5 or 6 weeks he was in with a broken leg and no operation...3 or 4 different doctors who couldn't care less (or didn't know what a broken leg must feel like)....Having to go through every day to feed him and clean him and make sure he was OK.....to the day I die I will regret not being able to do more for my dad. Yes, my folks should have had med aid but didn't. My dad still paid his taxes through his working life and dying in a state hospital with minimal med attention was his reward.....)

Sad this......

My daughter has recently completed a Bsc Nursing Degree at Wits and is doing her community service in Aberdeen in the Karoo. The CEO of the hospital has made it clear that as a pigmently challeged young woman she is not welcome despite the fact that the local Doc has offered her a full time post upon completing the Comserve. So.... she will be leaving our faire (or not so) land for the UK as soon as she is done with the Government requirement.

Sadly too, this year there were no more Bsc Nursing degrees at at Wits as the Unions don’t recognize it as any step up on the college courses......they fail to differentiate between Bachelors degree and Diploma. In my opinion, best my daughter chucks it in and departs to a place were she is valued.

Edited by Spokey

Anyway, getting to my point, I wound up getting the HRC involved....actually had the Minister of Health for the NW meet me  in town to apologise....supposedly the nurses were to be better educated but I ain't betting any of my bikes on that...I did originally complain to some clown at the hospital but that was just a waste of my time (and I reached a new threshold in anger management)....the idiot could barely string a sentence together...

So sad to hear stories like this, at least you were there for your dad when it counted.