Rider down R44 - Any eye witnesses 29 Feb 2020

PPM

This is an incredibly long shot.

A friend of mine was out on Saturday afternoon (29 Feb) for a solo training ride on the R44 between Somerset West and Stellenbosch. At least this is the info that we have. When he failed arrive home his wife searched the route but found nothing. He was finally tracked down to Tygerberg hospital where he was in ICU with bleeding on the brain.

We have no idea what happened or where it happened. Bike and cell phone are missing.

He has been transferred to Medi-clinic where he has regained consciousness but his short term memory is affected.

Is there anyone out there that might have some kind of information so that we can try and piece this whole lot together?

A friend of mine was out on Saturday afternoon (29 Feb) for a solo training ride on the R44 between Somerset West and Stellenbosch. At least this is the info that we have. When he failed arrive home his wife searched the route but found nothing. He was finally tracked down to Tygerberg hospital where he was in ICU with bleeding on the brain.

We have no idea what happened or where it happened. Bike and cell phone are missing.

He has been transferred to Medi-clinic where he has regained consciousness but his short term memory is affected.

Is there anyone out there that might have some kind of information so that we can try and piece this whole lot together?

sent on to others to also pass on the message .... best wishes for your friends quick and strong recovery!

wow hectic, this might be stating the obvious

surely there's info on where he got picked up(ambulance?).

then use a guesstimate to what time he would have been at that area

then use strava heatmap to try find cyclists who could have seen something

Drove past the scene, but there was already paramedics on the scene and what appears to be police taking statements.

There was also a bunch or two of riders further upfront that should have witnessed something. Hope one of them comes forward with more info.

Drove past the scene, but there was already paramedics on the scene and what appears to be police taking statements.

There was also a bunch or two of riders further upfront that should have witnessed something. Hope one of them comes forward with more info.

Thanks Stefmeister. Do you perhaps have a location and time?

I have received other info from Whatsapp after this was shared, so I really appreciate everyonea efforts. Regards, Peter

Edited by PPM

Not sure if its the same thing but drove past the ambulance and police and a few people that was standing around looking.

This was on the R44 across from the Stonewall farm entrance roughly/ half way up that climb to Bike hanger co.

This was @ 9:45. If it is the same incident there was allot of people that live close buy standing at the scene looking. There are loads of houses there. The people there will surely be able to help

There was a green Ford Ecosport parked in the shoulder looked like someone that was helping. Had kids in the car so didnt stop.

Thanks Stefmeister. Do you perhaps have a location and time?

I have received other info from Whatsapp after this was shared, so I really appreciate everyonea efforts. Regards, Peter

No worries, IIRC, it was around here, if it was the same incident (~09:45);

34°02'01.6"S 18°49'25.4"E

Maybe phone metro and ask what the case number was and pickup time location. They usually take some history from bystanders.

No worries, IIRC, it was around here, if it was the same incident (~09:45);

34°02'01.6"S 18°49'25.4"E

If you use Strava flyby you might be able to identify other riders in that vicinity when the accident happened.

If you use Strava flyby you might be able to identify other riders in that vicinity when the accident happened.

I was driving though.

We cycled passed the incident on Heart break hill in the morning (9:30ish). Amubulance (ER24?) was there already, did not see any damage on any cars or any bicycles anywhere. Patient was already in ambo, did not stop as already enough traffic/people .

Orginial poster said afternoon, so maybe another incident?

Thank you everyone for your response.

An update is that he did go out in the morning but the exact time is unknown. 

I will follow up on the suggestions that have been forthcoming but in the meantime I have been to the area indicated by StefMeister. Am I correct in saying that I was on the climb in the vicinity of the armco barrier leading up to the Bike Hanger Co? If so, I walked it this afternoon. There was no obvious indication of vehicle contact ie lens glass, mirror glass although I did find a few pieces of vehicle plastic. 

I will follow up on the suggestions that have been forthcoming but in the meantime I have been to the area indicated by StefMeister. Am I correct in saying that I was on the climb in the vicinity of the armco barrier leading up to the Bike Hanger Co? If so, I walked it this afternoon. There was no obvious indication of vehicle contact ie lens glass, mirror glass although I did find a few pieces of vehicle plastic. 

I rode up that hill on Sunday afternoon, at a bit of a slow pace, and did not see anything that would suggest an accident.

Yup.  stefmiester GPS is basicly spot on , ambo and 1 car was in yellow lane, another standing in road with person in yellow vest behind redirecting traffic to opposite lane

Edited by Karman de Lange

Thank you to everyone that responded in any way, to those that shared the post on Whatsapp groups and Facebook, your efforts are greatly appreciated. 

To keep you posted. Cyclist was hit by a motor vehicle in the vicinity of Annandale Rd, SAPS has the perpetrator. 

If anyone may have witnessed this, your evidence would be most useful in putting this perpetrator away.

FYI: after searching for answers, it appears that there were 3 cycling incidences on Saturday and another on Sunday. All of this along the R44. Be careful out there people.