Big and Heavy and keen to cycle

martin sycholt

Hey Martin, 

Welcome and respect for trying to get on top of your health. Can I make a suggestion that is semi-non-cycling related? 

In my opinion: You will not enjoy cycling and your body will take way too much strain, my suggestion would be to start off with either some walking and portion control and then follow that with a stationary bike / trainer with a training app like: Zwift, Rouvy, Fulgaz, Sufferfest and build yourself up that way. 

If you jump into the training thing with a bike and the mission of carting it around to go out cycling you'll soon give up. Start small and take manageable steps into the direction you want to achieve. This is going to be a hard road to recovery and I'm afraid cycling will just break your quest due to all the admin involved to get into it properly.

All the best  

Hey Martin,

Welcome and respect for trying to get on top of your health. Can I make a suggestion that is semi-non-cycling related?

In my opinion: You will not enjoy cycling and your body will take way too much strain, my suggestion would be to start off with either some walking and portion control and then follow that with a stationary bike / trainer with a training app like: Zwift, Rouvy, Fulgaz, Sufferfest and build yourself up that way.

If you jump into the training thing with a bike and the mission of carting it around to go out cycling you'll soon give up. Start small and take manageable steps into the direction you want to achieve. This is going to be a hard road to recovery and I'm afraid cycling will just break your quest due to all the admin involved to get into it properly.

All the best

Except if like myself, Martin is motivated by being outside, by keeping moving and by the incremental gains. Then riding outside is perfect.

I'm sorry, but stationary training kills my motivation instantly.

Different strokes for different folks.

Edit: I also don't see why carting a bike around is a schlep. Or even why it's needed. But I see you live in Pretoria, and I realise that not everyone drives a bakkie. So your experience is probably not applicable to myself or the OP, as I ride from home, or just chuck it in the back if traveling is involved.

Edited by PhilipV

That is correct yes, I live in PTA, but ya, if the OP lives in Gauteng and wants to get into MTBing then he will undoubtedly have to cart the bike around to bike parks. Cycling from home will not be realistic for him as he will start off on around 10-20km.

This means that he will just about get out of his driveway before reaching his daily goal (I'm exaggerating here, but you get my point). 

Making it enjoyable on a 10-20km limit in Gauteng will require a car - bike combination. Hence why my comment of a combination of outdoor walking and indoor riding will add way more value in the short term. I mean on Rouvy / Zwift and any of the other big players you can ride outdoors through AR (Augmented Reality). 

In my head the short term goal needs to be building fitness whilst losing weight with the least amount of disruption to his daily routine.  

Except if like myself, Martin is motivated by being outside, by keeping moving and by the incremental gains. Then riding outside is perfect.

I'm sorry, but stationary training kills my motivation instantly.

Different strokes for different folks.

Edit: I also don't see why carting a bike around is a schlep. Or even why it's needed. But I see you live in Pretoria, and I realise that not everyone drives a bakkie. So your experience is probably not applicable to myself or the OP, as I ride from home, or just chuck it in the back if traveling is involved.

Hey Martin, 

All the best  

Lots of truth on your post !!

YES, the love of being outside kept me coming back for more.  But health issues meant mine was more than a 18 month recovery road to get to modest rides.

GEARING was my friend ... LOTS and lots of spinning in that first year ... lots of effort, and very short distances.  Avoiding routes with long hills .... but I hung in there, and eventually got to a point where I am now using standard gearing.  At 30km, my longer rides are short by most standards, but I am having fun (well I was, until my meniscus tear benched me..)

I respect what you want to do.

Started out at 154kg on a Macro special bike. NOT a good idea.

What everybody said make sense.

1. Cycling is soft on the joints.

2. In the beginning you will get tired easily.

3. Rims and spokes are very important for bigger people.

4. For now stay away from carbon frames.

5. On a trainer your backside will hurt after about 15min and you will get bored.

6. Riding alone is not always advisable due to safety and boredom.

7. Find a caring group or club and ride with them for support and to learn from them.

8. Get a computer or gps to monitor heart rate and cadence.

9. Keep record of your rides so you can track your progress.

10. Get a Strava account to support previous point. It is free.

11. Keep it interesting.

12. REMEMBER WE BIGGER PEOPLE SWEAT MORE. USE PROPPER ELECTROLITES ON THE BIKE AND AFTER THE RIDE.

13. Drink regularly on the bike.

14. Remember to make sure to fuel your body after 1hr on thr bike.

I can still remember 6 years ago when I completed my first 20km ride. I was extremely excited and had to rest for about two weeks. Now I do 120km and longer rides on a Saterday and do a 50km on Sunday.

Our club have regular rides on Saterday mornings where we take the beginners out for a 20km ride, make sure they are safely at theirmvehicles and them we go and do our longer rides.

If you want to PM me and I will give you more info.

I would disagree. Merida are notoriously small. An XXL merida is barely an XL in other brands.

I'm 2m tall and weighed 160kg when I first started cycling, my first bike was a Merida XXL/23cm and for me that was perfect, so I'm speaking from experience,

And let's not forget, there are not alot of bikes out there for sale that are XXL and with in his budget.

That is correct yes, I live in PTA, but ya, if the OP lives in Gauteng and wants to get into MTBing then he will undoubtedly have to cart the bike around to bike parks. Cycling from home will not be realistic for him as he will start off on around 10-20km.

This means that he will just about get out of his driveway before reaching his daily goal (I'm exaggerating here, but you get my point). 

Making it enjoyable on a 10-20km limit in Gauteng will require a car . Work out a circuit of about 3 to 5 km  in your immediate residential area and start riding that once a a day (everyday 7 days a week morning or noon to get the discipline installed ) Take your time on the very first lap you do and use that as a base time to improve . as you lose weight do more laps and always push harder on the last few  2 or 300 meters . . 

Simple diets work best . Cut out white foods , eat smaller portions and dont eat anything that comes in a crinkly packet from the shop ( chips , chocolates , pies , biscuits, sweets cakes etc )  Try cut out alcohol completely and stay away from fizzy drinks . 

I started at 125 kg and riding 10 km a day on a 2.5 km circuit in my in my area . My first lap was 11 minutes .Im now 85 kg and do it in 41/2 minutes  You get to know the dogs in the area , the old people going for walks and the aunties that water the gardens . Greet them all they will motivate you to ride more . . 

Edited by FirstV8