Gearing and speed

The Ghost

What gravel steed do you have?

I have a Cotic Escapade. It's steel and it's bright purple and it is fantasic.

I have run it SS and 1x and now 20 speed. I am however going to sell it as I also have a planet X Kaffenback that takes 38c tires as well as 650bx42c but has slightly more aggressive geo.

I'm planning on running it with 3 wheel sets depending on where I'm riding out. It's heavier than the Cotic and doesn't have the tire clearance but the Cotic has a much better resale value.

Sad to see Barney go, but I'm making room in the stable for some new additions....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Escapade's are great bikes. I was looking for one but had to 'settle' for an X instead. Also a great bike!

I have a Cotic Escapade. It's steel and it's bright purple and it is fantasic.

I have run it SS and 1x and now 20 speed. I am however going to sell it as I also have a planet X Kaffenback that takes 38c tires as well as 650bx42c but has slightly more aggressive geo.

I'm planning on running it with 3 wheel sets depending on where I'm riding out. It's heavier than the Cotic and doesn't have the tire clearance but the Cotic has a much better resale value.

Sad to see Barney go, but I'm making room in the stable for some new additions....

What about a 1x with a 40 up front and a 10-50 cassette, do you think that would cover most road and light gravel tours well enough?

Me thinks you are over thinking things before you even buy the bike, just buy it, ride it and then adapt to your needs, will probably save you cash in the longterm

Me thinks you are over thinking things before you even buy the bike, just buy it, ride it and then adapt to your needs, will probably save you cash in the longterm

I hear you and you're quite possibly right, I just find its cheaper to buy a bike that is as close to what one would like and then tweak it rather than completely overhaul things (also being a little "on the spectrum" makes me kinda pedantic). Also in this category of bikes, not all can fit 1x and 2x systems, so if I buy one that cant do 2x and I decide later I want 2x then I'm screwed, same with tyres.

Anyway, I think that after todays road spin (within geographical regulations) on my 38x 10-50 MTB and although I'm sure the new bike is a different beast altogether I am strongly leaning towards a 2x system now.

So, I think I'll be looking for the geometry and compliance features I want first, and then try and adapt to 50/34x11-34 or 11-36 depends whats available and possible (must have a clutch). If that gets too expensive I'll go to my 2nd choice etc

On the subject does anyone know if these are any good or is GRX better?

Shifter Shimano Ultegra R8020, 11-speed Front derailleur Shimano Ultegra R8000, braze-on Rear derailleur

Shimano Ultegra RX800, Shadow Plus clutch, long cage, 34T max cog

Cassette Shimano Ultegra HG800-11, 11-34, 11-speed

I'm pretty certain that 2x for a road bike is still the answer.

False flats are a killer with a poor gear ratio.

I'm now 100% in agreement with you (for my purposes), thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I have a 'monstercross' bike which I use for a combination of road and gravel duty. I have done many, many, many kilometres on it (like thousands). I have the option to run just about any combination of gears on it since my son owns a bike shop.

I have tried lots of different options but I have settled on a double (28/42 Rotor Oval) with an 11-32 cassette. Works for me ... When I do get left behind its not the bike but rather my legs that let me down ????

Done a 400k on road Audax as well as the 165k gravel Race To The Sun with it just as reference.

I have oval on my MTB and I quite enjoy it, I wonder if it would add as much into a more road focussed machine.

100%. When it comes to gearing choice unless you're using gearing set-ups at extreme ends, the legs are the weak point of any drive train! ????

... When I do get left behind its not the bike but rather my legs that let me down ????

100%. When it comes to gearing choice unless you're using gearing set-ups at extreme ends, the legs are the weak point of any drive train!

Yes and no.... On the road a top end gear where you can still put torque in but not have to spin at a million revs is important, especially when trying to stay with the group on false flats.