Converting wifes bike to 1x12

Dup08

Do you need gears on an E-bike? :eek: 

Thank you :thumbup:

I updated my post above ...  :ph34r:

would love to hear feedback on the user experience with these 12 speed systems .... my 1x11 Shimano setups are just so much more robust than the 1x12 GX I had ....

and the 1x11 and 1x12 on the standard freebody has the same gear range, just marginally bigger jumps on the x11 .... I am not too worried about those jumps on a trail, though this may be different for everybody.

It seems the 1x11 parts are only marginally cheaper than the 1x12 .... so the decision may be more of a "rider experience" than a cost thing in the end of the day ....

really would love to hear long term feedback on the 1x12 .....

Do you need gears on an E-bike? :eek: 

no, it comes with an automatic and overdrive .....

PS - the Bosch system fully integrates with the Di2 system .... just one app away from full auto ....  :eek: 

• 1 month later...

Update on this.

I have run into a bit of a problem, started this morning with the conversion, installed the cassette, derailleur and shifter. Then came the cranks, and the problem.

The cranks on my wifes bike are the Shimano FC - M782 which does not use the 104bcd pattern (which I bought) but the 96bcd chainring. There is also another catch, it seems that the newer 96bcd chainrings are asymmetric where this one uses the normal 96bcd standard, according to Wayne from Rapide. 

Can anyone assist where I will be able to source a chainring for this crank? Would love to keep the cranks to keep the cost down and because they are 170mm.

Your input would be appreciated.

I may have missed the comment, but will the 10 speed shifter work with 11 or 12 speed, doubt it?

I had to upgrade from 11 to 12.

Edited by Stockman

This says for m6000/7000/8000 series so doesn't that mean it's also the asymmetrical design

No mention is made about asymmetrical so it might be worth getting in touch with them. Would be the easiest. 

Found this image on an older post, visible difference in the two standards, does anyone perhaps have a symmetrical 96bcd chainring lying around?

post-154104-0-38823400-1594806507_thumb.jpg

Update.

I am grabbing a Lyne Pulse Alloy crankset which I think is not too badly priced, also available in 170mm. (BB and chainring included) This will at least complete the conversion once received and modernise some components again. 

Update.

I am grabbing a Lyne Pulse Alloy crankset which I think is not too badly priced, also available in 170mm. (BB and chainring included) This will at least complete the conversion once received and modernise some components again.

I run one of these. Definitely worth every cent. Great choice.