Have you moved from Air to Coil shocks or forks?

Hairy

I would definitely be tempted to go coil at the rear ,but the cost is out of my budget luckily.

Cost = the devil

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Owned many versions over the years. Coils are fantastic on the down but absolute crap on the up. (Thats rear coil) As for answering the question to this thread, I would stay with Air as our trails in SA are more XC/Trail riding orientated. Besides the fact that a coil shock absolutely looks insane and has its benefits, I will stay with the just as capable and lighter air version. I have clocked exact same times on both...so yes, 1% of people on earth is still 73 million...

Oh how times have changed though ;)

Many of the new ones have excellent compression circuits. That coupled with the suspension kinematics can make the climbing on the coil actually better, albeit subjectively and negating the +-300g mass penalty.

For 2 examples, when I went from air (Monarch Plus) to coil (CC DB Coil IL) on my 2016 Banshee Spitfire (140mm rear KS link), I did notice marginally more pedal bob on the coil, but with the LSC lever that is mostly negated.

Now I have a 2018 Transition Patrol (160mm rear 4 bar?) I also went from air (Fox DPX2) to coil (Super Deluxe Coil) and OMG...honestly, it pedals better than the air (yes I feel it was setup well, just not entirely suited to the biek and my preference). The LCS lever is also not just on/off and traction, especially on tech, on the climbs is incredible. 

100% would not go back to the DPX2, but would like to try a Float X2 sometime for comparison.

Anyway, it's kinda *** because unless you know someone to loan a shock from to test, it's potentially a big $$$ risk. But once you've had the feeling of it setup well..and it suits your bike kinematics, it can't be beat for feel  :wub:

I am looking for a coil shock right now, my Rocket is calling for it. But don't have the money to buy new so waiting for a 2nd hand deal.

I rode on a coil bike for a day on my local trails and after really messing around and back and forth on my own bike which has air, I was very interested in coil. And also, it looks sick!

Then buy an Epic and go fall your kitty off at Hoogekraal

Is Hoogekraal one of those jump scary places ? I prefer riding up hard and safely down .Anything i need a full face helmet for i avoid 

Is Hoogekraal one of those jump scary places ? I prefer riding up hard and safely down .Anything i need a full face helmet for i avoid 

Not even remotely scary.

I am also looking in to the coil shock option but I am still trying to find a proper site/article that can explain to me in normal person terms what the difference is between a progressive and linear travel bike is.

Yes there are a bunch of videos out there and they talk about it but i need a "average-Joe" to explain it so i can understand it with my thick Afrikaans-nonsupensionbuilding-accent.

What I know so far is:

1. It looks cool and you look like you mean business...

2. If you get the coil setup right you dont have to bother changing settings again

3. My fat ass needs a heavy coil and new coils cost $$$$

4. If you get it right it wont bottom out (currently i ride the sag ring off my air shock....)

5. Its heavier than an air shock... BUT just take a piss before getting on the bike and BOOM. Sorted

6. Did I mention it looks rad?

7. Air shocks are so XC.... :)

id probably consider a coil fork purely on the basis of it being mechanically simpler than an airfork. What about maintenance?  

Alot of the things we read online imply that coils are a bit more friendly on your wallet and time when it comes to maintenance. I really cant know since i've never owned a higher end coil fork. Ive had plenty of descent air forks though....and yes...maintenance hurts.

i currently have a rigid carbon fork on my bike because when I built it I didnt have (proper) cash for a proper fork , but i have come to cherish the fact that my bike is virtually maintenance free.

I obviously dont shred the gnar at this stage in my riding life, mainly due to only having the one bike but also because i enjoy riding with my wife that likes the gravel thing more. That being said...ive ridden my rigid bike down most of what the not so hardcore TB trails in the north have on offer.....just not as hard or fast as you lot on your full squish bikes lol.

I am also looking in to the coil shock option but I am still trying to find a proper site/article that can explain to me in normal person terms what the difference is between a progressive and linear travel bike is.

Yes there are a bunch of videos out there and they talk about it but i need a "average-Joe" to explain it so i can understand it with my thick Afrikaans-nonsupensionbuilding-accent.

What I know so far is:

1. It looks cool and you look like you mean business...

2. If you get the coil setup right you dont have to bother changing settings again

3. My fat ass needs a heavy coil and new coils cost $$$$

4. If you get it right it wont bottom out (currently i ride the sag ring off my air shock....)

5. Its heavier than an air shock... BUT just take a piss before getting on the bike and BOOM. Sorted

6. Did I mention it looks rad?

7. Air shocks are so XC.... :)

1. It looks cool and you look like you mean business... Yes, we all know looks are most NB in MTB

2. If you get the coil setup right you dont have to bother changing settings again.. Depends on the shock. You won't change the spring rate (unless you get a new srping), but good ones still have at least rebound and compression, if not independent low and high speed

3. My fat ass needs a heavy coil and new coils cost $$$$.. A new spring ain't that bad (in MTB terms), but a new shock will be anywhere from 8k and up (before we get new stock at new USD rate)

4. If you get it right it wont bottom out (currently i ride the sag ring off my air shock....).. That depends on your bike suspension too. If it's regressive or even linear you may struggle to avoid ever bottoming out. But compression can assist.

5. Its heavier than an air shock... BUT just take a piss before getting on the bike and BOOM. Sorted.. Yep, take a pee and sorted. My Super Deluxe Coil is the same mass as an air shock, without the coil. So a lightweight coil can further reduce the difference.

6. Did I mention it looks rad?..  Yes 

7. Air shocks are so XC....  :).. XCO or XCM? XCM lame, XCO less lame :P

It is interesting when you compare directly to the MX/Offroad motorbike fraternity. Air springs are still new and a lot of the motocross pros were battling a lot with them. Air springs are a lot more affected by heat and there tends to be a shift in performance as the spring heats up through a 20min moto. They seem to have it covered now but it was an issue especially for Ken Roczen.

What I find the most interesting is how little the mtb pros spend on revalving and customising the valving in their suspension which all the mx/enduro guys do a lot. 

Also comes back to a popular clash id ideals- MTB are happy with a lefty, Motorbike are now going to separate function forks. 2 Totally different directions.

Oh how times have changed though ;)

Many of the new ones have excellent compression circuits. That coupled with the suspension kinematics can make the climbing on the coil actually better, albeit subjectively and negating the +-300g mass penalty.

For 2 examples, when I went from air (Monarch Plus) to coil (CC DB Coil IL) on my 2016 Banshee Spitfire (140mm rear KS link), I did notice marginally more pedal bob on the coil, but with the LSC lever that is mostly negated.

Now I have a 2018 Transition Patrol (160mm rear 4 bar?) I also went from air (Fox DPX2) to coil (Super Deluxe Coil) and OMG...honestly, it pedals better than the air (yes I feel it was setup well, just not entirely suited to the biek and my preference). The LCS lever is also not just on/off and traction, especially on tech, on the climbs is incredible. 

100% would not go back to the DPX2, but would like to try a Float X2 sometime for comparison.

Anyway, it's kinda *** because unless you know someone to loan a shock from to test, it's potentially a big $$$ risk. But once you've had the feeling of it setup well..and it suits your bike kinematics, it can't be beat for feel  :wub:

I have a patrol and you're making my kop jik, luckily very few international etailers are shipping to za. I can't fault the dpx2, and have always wanted a coil for the looks. 

I have a patrol and you're making my kop jik, luckily very few international etailers are shipping to za. I can't fault the dpx2, and have always wanted a coil for the looks. 

I hate to break it to you...but i was never happy with the DPX2...The Super Deluxe coil makes me splooge though...

post-10323-0-59673100-1590741430.jpg

post-10323-0-08817000-1590741435_thumb.jpg

Had a couple coils on different bikes. My previous Tranny Smuggler went from a Monarch Deb' to a CC inline DB Coil and while the bikes progression wan't 100% suited for the kematics of the coil it actually was night and day.

This might have been because the Monarch Deb' was a pretty solid but basic rear can. The Smuggler was was 115mm of rear travel and might I was surprised to find CC's trail coil at that size but when I did on a black friday special (because who wants a 115 coil!) then I snapped it up just to give it a go.

It had the climb switch on it and I found climbing alot better than on the air. traction was better and there wasn't any real increase in bob. I was running a vault spring and it didn't add that much heft to the bike. I would have liked to have got a progressive spring that CC have come up with recently.

Set up with the app was nice and easy. On the downs it was great, nice and poppy and tracked the ground so well. It wasn't that it was life changingly noticeable straight away but what it gave you exactly what you wanted for the type off riding I do. I stopped wondering about this thing or that thing about the rear, it did what I wanted, it never bottomed out (that I noticed), never did anything weird and let me forget all about the back end. That was paired with a Pike up front with Luffekappe and Ramp control. A good combo.  

I've now got a Ripmo with a Fox X2 rear air can and MRP Ribbon Coil up front. The bike originally came with a DPX2 and despite that being the 'little shock that can' I couldn't get comfortable with it despite being used on their team bikes on the EWS. Despite not being a twiddler I found the X2 much easier to set up and just changed the bike 110%. Again, once I set it up it was forgotten about as it got on and did it's thing. Really well. 

The MRP coil up front is a bit more of a 'so-so'. I love the feel and simplicity but I would struggle to say it was a much better than something like Lyrik or a 36 or event the previous Pike I had (but I had that dialed and set up like a boss). The issue I have / had was I weigh in at 85kgs and I'm solidly a M in their spring chart but when I had the medium in I really struggled to get the close to sag I needed and wasn't using even 70% if travel on the rowdy trail. So I swapped in the 'soft' spring and everything was pretty good. Great sag, using 90 - 95% of the travel one most of my trails and it was all going well. 

Now the issue I have is that on one ride when I was riding Tokai Cobra in a bit more 'bouncy' style, trying to pop off drops etc the fork just cooked out on me. I'm not sure if it packed down, bottomed out, stopped working, tried to kill me. Since then I've been trying too balance that out but I'm not getting that sweet spot. Either it's not giving enough travel and not feeling good enough or it's feeling great and using travel but if I take some bouncy, bouncy repeated pops then I starts getting weird. I've played with all the knobs and levers and change springs but can't get it 'there'... and now that is starting to annoy me. 

So to wrap up my experience I'd say that as a rear option I found it really good but it has to be a good coil. Not slapping on a weird DH orientated thing and hoping you don't struggle on the ups. On the front I'm 50 / 50. I like it for 80% of the time but it's got me thinking and struggling a bit on rides and that shouldn't be there. I've had forks that I can set up and go ride and not think about at all on the trails.

Unfortunately the Ripmo V1 isn't suited for a coil at all (they changed that with the V2) but I'm not actually sure I'd swap out from the X2 as that is a really kick ass rear can. The adjustability is a little much at times but it means that you can tweak that annoying little thing that annoyed you on that little jump and it never happens again. Also on less poppy, goofy bikes than the Smuggler and the Evil Following I had I'm also not sure it would be a great fit. Would I recommend them? For sure as they are awesome but it would have to be the right shock and it would depend on the bike. Trannys and Evils would be first in the line for sure.