Have you moved from Air to Coil shocks or forks?

Hairy

shotto!

The Jeffsy's are meant to be a bit more on the progressive side, so playing with a 200x57mm coil is tempting to see what it would feel like.

Hmmm, I've got a monarch plus on the way for my Jeffsy but now you've got me thinking...

Edited by Pyka

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I am also looking in to the coil shock option but I am still trying to find a proper site/article that can explain to me in normal person terms what the difference is between a progressive and linear travel bike is.

Yes there are a bunch of videos out there and they talk about it but i need a "average-Joe" to explain it so i can understand it with my thick Afrikaans-nonsupensionbuilding-accent.

What I know so far is:

1. It looks cool and you look like you mean business...

2. If you get the coil setup right you dont have to bother changing settings again

3. My fat ass needs a heavy coil and new coils cost $$$$

4. If you get it right it wont bottom out (currently i ride the sag ring off my air shock....)

5. Its heavier than an air shock... BUT just take a piss before getting on the bike and BOOM. Sorted

6. Did I mention it looks rad?

7. Air shocks are so XC.... :)

So since I posted this I have gone over to a coil shock.....

I am still trying to find the right setup for it (it is close though) but I can tell you that you WILL feel the difference the moment you start riding it. Even on a tar road.

On my very first short "test" ride with it I already broke some of my own records on it. Rear wheel traction is INSANE and those off camber corners, that I used to be scared of, are easy now.

Also, while I was sleeping the shock jumped off and went to the trails and removed all the rock gardens as they don't exist anymore.

Edited by ChristiaanSt

Would love to try a Push ElevenSix on my bike but it is just a little bit out of reach for an experiment. 

I'm sure it will be heaven but with that said... how do you now get your front end to keep up? 

Would love to try a Push ElevenSix on my bike but it is just a little bit out of reach for an experiment. 

I'm sure it will be heaven but with that said... how do you now get your front end to keep up? 

Front end was never really a problem. I have the DVO Diamond on front and with all its settings and OTT I have it nearly on par with the rear.

But your new bike is made from plastic ... are you allowed to ride rock gardens on a plastic bike?

I seem to recall Myles switched to a Marzo coil fork on his Reign and was really happy with it.

But Myles has never experienced the joys of a DVO before .... irony here is that the DVO crowd are the ex. Marzo boys who started up DVO ..... and both Myles and ChristiaanST are on Reign's, though I would say ChristiaanST's one is far nicer ... sorry Myles!

Edit .. and ChristiaanST has a DVO up front and a DVO coil out back....so serious street cred points.

Edited by Hairy

I've had the following shocks on my Slakline: 

1. RS Super Deluxe air (65mm stroke)

2. RS Super Deluxe coil (65mm stroke)

3. EXT Storia V3 (65mm stroke)

4. Fox DP2 (57.5mm stroke)

Was never super happy with Deluxe air. 

Deluxe coil was noticeably smoother. Did not climb any worse, but when sprinting on downhill sections bike felt a bit sluggish, and not as poppy as air

EXT was amazing when it worked, smooth on DH's, poppy, good bottom out resistance. To um up in one word: calm. But during lock-down it seemed to get stuck in lockout mode.... So its on the plane back to Italy to see whats wrong.

Luckily I got hold of a "cheap" DP2 which Im running now with some random tune. And to be honest, the bike feels really good with it on technical terrain. (no volume spacers installed). What is interesting is it does not feel noticeably more spritely or climbs better than the EXT. The EXT definitely works better on rocky climbs, smooths out the terrain better. 

will provide update once I get my EXT back hopefully early Oct

But Myles has never experienced the joys of a DVO before .... irony here is that the DVO crowd are the ex. Marzo boys who started up DVO ..... and both Myles and ChristiaanST are on Reign's, though I would say ChristiaanST's one is far nicer ... sorry Myles!

Edit .. and ChristiaanST has a DVO up front and a DVO coil out back....so serious street cred points.

How did that comment not lure him out of hiding?!?

Must be a busy day at work :)

How did that comment not lure him out of hiding?!?

Must be a busy day at work :)

Myles or Christiaan .... just sent him a screen grab now to make some trouble .. I think he is riding black rhino this afternoon.

I moved from RS Super Deluce RCT coil to DVO Topaz. Cant say anything negative about either of them. My previous air shock was a Fox Evol which I hated. The topaz is by far a much superior performer, but I cannot compare it to anything new.

• 4 months later...

Thought I would revive this oldish topic with a longer term review and some experience gathered.

In short : I will never ride air again...... NEVER!!

Long story:

So on  my Reign I have the DVO Jade with no climb switch. As far as I understand the Jade (not jadeX) was made for DH and not enduro so much. Giant made a deal with DVO and they launched the 2019 Reign Advanced0 with the DVO Jade coil shock. Reviews on these frames were very good from everyone apart from the fact that they all complained about climbing with it.

I bought the frame thinking to myself I dont really ride for distance and XC crap anymore and im here to enjoy the downhill so its not a problem to just climb slower. The problem in that is that I got so tired getting to the top that I had to take a 36hour break. So I started looking at other coil shock with a climb switch that I can maybe replace the Jade with. Seeing prices and availability post lockdown I decided to borrow a normal air shock so I can see if it is actually the shock or maybe just the frame geo causing my mild heart attacks at the top of the conties parking area.

I did 2 rides with the air shock and all I can say is K@K. If you told me today that I can not have my coil shock anymore then I will switch back to a hardtail. At least with a hardtail I know before I start that I will be pissing blood at the end of a trail. That air shock feels terrible. ( its a 2020 air shock and set up properly). 

My coil has the same amount of pop on the jumps yet the landing is much smoother. Rock gardens disappear below a coil shock. You dont know what rear wheel traction is until you have ridden a coil shock.

I will rather suffer on the climbs or get a coil with a climb switch than ride air again

Edited by ChristiaanSt

Thought I would revive this oldish topic with a longer term review and some experience gathered.

In short : I will never ride air again...... NEVER!!

Long story:

So on my Reign I have the DVO Jade with no climb switch. As far as I understand the Jade (not jadeX) was made for DH and not enduro so much. Giant made a deal with DVO and they launched the 2019 Reign Advanced0 with the DVO Jade coil shock. Reviews on these frames were very good from everyone apart from the fact that they all complained about climbing with it.

I bought the frame thinking to myself I dont really ride for distance and XC crap anymore and im here to enjoy the downhill so its not a problem to just climb slower. The problem in that is that I got so tired getting to the top that I had to take a 36hour break. So I started looking at other coil shock with a climb switch that I can maybe replace the Jade with. Seeing prices and availability post lockdown I decided to borrow a normal air shock so I can see if it is actually the shock or maybe just the frame geo causing my mild heart attacks at the top of the conties parking area.

I did 2 rides with the air shock and all I can say is K@K. If you told me today that I can not have my coil shock anymore then I will switch back to a hardtail. At least with a hardtail I know before I start that I will be pissing blood at the end of a trail. That air shock feels terrible. ( its a 2020 air shock and set up properly).

My coil has the same amount of pop on the jumps yet the landing is much smoother. Rock gardens disappear below a coil shock. You dont know what rear wheel traction is until you have ridden a coil shock.

I will rather suffer on the climbs or get a coil with a climb switch than ride air again

I have had both on my Transition Sentinel. Coil was better for sure, but the air was pretty dam close. What air shock did you use? Because in my experience a nice air shock that is propperly set up will be pretty dam close to a coil in terms of performance.