Where to Buy? A Basic MTB Commuter

PygaSchmyga

Tapping Hub hive knowledge here - I am actually quite stumped on this, and would be grateful for direction.

If you were to buy an MTB or lets say MTB-type bike for short distance commuter use (tops 3km - 5km per day), and by that i mean a bicycle with a front fork suspension only, knobbly tyres (26' is FINE) that are at or around 2.0 width, working gears (ie NOT a single gear dikwiel commuter)

And then come what may for the rest, ie V/rim brakes, but ideally discs, even if mechanical, etc etc

BUT, you also want to avoid the typical sh1te from GAME, Makro etc

AND you only want to spend R2K-R3K max

Where would you go?  (add to this that you want to minimize ball-ache in sourcing)

OLX, Gumtree?

Bike specific sites?

Cheap retail bikes, because they are still OK and fit for the described purpose?

LBS back of warehouse abandoned 26ers?

Stupid question, and don't waste our time?

Tapping Hub hive knowledge here - I am actually quite stumped on this, and would be grateful for direction.

If you were to buy an MTB or lets say MTB-type bike for short distance commuter use (tops 3km - 5km per day), and by that i mean a bicycle with a front fork suspension only, knobbly tyres (26' is FINE) that are at or around 2.0 width, working gears (ie NOT a single gear dikwiel commuter)

And then come what may for the rest, ie V/rim brakes, but ideally discs, even if mechanical, etc etc

BUT, you also want to avoid the typical sh1te from GAME, Makro etc

AND you only want to spend R2K-R3K max

Where would you go?  (add to this that you want to minimize ball-ache in sourcing)

OLX, Gumtree?

Bike specific sites?

Cheap retail bikes, because they are still OK and fit for the described purpose?

LBS back of warehouse abandoned 26ers?

Stupid question, and don't waste our time?

Ask your mates if they haven't got an old bike lying around in the back of their garage, most commuter bikes are resurrected bikes that get a bit of TLC to get them going again.

You don't need front suspension to commute.

My Old an and i had a competition to see who could build the cheapest commuter (15km each way). They both ended up being under 4k. 29er, suspension up front, full shimano 1x10, and lighter than my normal full suspension. 

If you have the time then buy the parts and build up something cool.