Trails for the Lighty

sierrrd

Lot of lobbying at the council by the wannabees followed by lot of sweat by school kids and a couple of dads followed by continual maintenance.

Hopefully we'll get some good maintenance done during/after winter, but with things being weird it might pass over the rainy season.

I might do some therapeutic spade swinging as well.

Respect. Looked like a huge job. 

Respect. Looked like a huge job.

mostly all the big soil moving was done by diggers. That helped a lot. So the spade swinging was mostly shaping.

Make no mistake, some of the uncles put in a lot of time in the form of marking out the course, lobbying the council, organizing sponsors etc. I reckon they are the real heroes.

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys, this is the most recent thread referring to kids riding I could find in the SSW area. @PhilipVI suspect you will have most of the answers anyway. So my laaitie got a 24'' mtb with an old reba and 1x10 for his birthday. he turned 9. He might weigh 25kg and although brave hes still only a kid. I dont actually want him to become to serious a rider at that age and encourage him to keep playing Cricket and Hockey which he luckily loves. 

We rode Somerbosch for the first time yesterday, and Its actually perfect for kids. We only did the 12km closer loop (circled top right of the map) but I may eventually want to go further. I have been warned about the safety around the waterworks, but does that eliminate all of the fun singletrack as that might be the only fun downhills, or is it only the other circled area? 

faures.jpg

18 minutes ago, Bos said:

Hi Guys, this is the most recent thread referring to kids riding I could find in the SSW area. @PhilipVI suspect you will have most of the answers anyway. So my laaitie got a 24'' mtb with an old reba and 1x10 for his birthday. he turned 9. He might weigh 25kg and although brave hes still only a kid. I dont actually want him to become to serious a rider at that age and encourage him to keep playing Cricket and Hockey which he luckily loves. 

We rode Somerbosch for the first time yesterday, and Its actually perfect for kids. We only did the 12km closer loop (circled top right of the map) but I may eventually want to go further. I have been warned about the safety around the waterworks, but does that eliminate all of the fun singletrack as that might be the only fun downhills, or is it only the other circled area? 

faures.jpg

Kief!!!!

Bos, most of the wannabee trails will be fine. I haven't ridden near the waterworks in years, so I can't comment on that. I just stay away from there. 

I can however advise you to go and ride Eden with your son. Park here and ride up as high as your son can, and bomb down on one of the many trails there. Flip, if he is fit enough, advise the rest of your family to meet you the two of you for breakfast at Mont Marie. Adding adventure and breakfast to a family outing is winning. 

My son realized yesterday that he can ride the "grown up features" at Southeys, so we'll be heading to Eden soon as well.  

28 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Kief!!!!

Bos, most of the wannabee trails will be fine. I haven't ridden near the waterworks in years, so I can't comment on that. I just stay away from there. 

I can however advise you to go and ride Eden with your son. Park here and ride up as high as your son can, and bomb down on one of the many trails there. Flip, if he is fit enough, advise the rest of your family to meet you the two of you for breakfast at Mont Marie. Adding adventure and breakfast to a family outing is winning. 

My son realized yesterday that he can ride the "grown up features" at Southeys, so we'll be heading to Eden soon as well.  

Eden is a mess atm. Hundreds of trees down after the storm earlier in April.
Most of the trails you need to get off your bike multiple times.
Mont Marie is in good shape though

Edited by Jako De Wet

Southey's Vines in Somerset West is great for kids. 
There is also a nice single track by Somerset College. Park at 96 Winery and you can ride the old game trail. Great for young kids. 
Ernie Els is also fun but the climb can be tough for younger kids. You can park at the restuarant for easier access. 
Mont Marie, specifically Element, and into the forest back to the restuarant in really fun for kids, and adults :). You can go up and down a few times as the climb, on the road, up to element is easy enough. Tow rope if you want to session a few times. 

This is the trail from 96 Winery. 
image.png.256ee6720dabc429bca647462984d62e.png
I do Waterworks/Faura drop from time to time but it is not worth the risk if you are only a small group with a young kid. It's also quite rocky so let him get some more experience first. 

DM me directly if you need more info 

Thanks for the replies guys. I have ridden all the trails in the area on the mountain side of the R44 and will go there once he's built a bit of fitness. I did Element a few times just before the winds and that was going to be one of our next trips. I heard its all clear. Those berms should be fine for him, smooth and not a lot of loose gravel. I think he will love it. We tried Eden last Sunday and unfortunately its wrecked.. half the forest has blown over. 

The 96 Winery road option also looks worth exploring. @ClintH Could I Park at the winery road parking, go down the game trail and return via the "Paddagang" trail onto the 96 winery loop? Even out and back on the Vredenburg farm loop first? Are those all relatively safe? Is the parking safe or best to park on Collage premises? Not sure they will be ok with that.

Thanks for all the help guys. Its really just about some tame trails for the little guy as I'm usually looking for the double black options :) 

The easiest is to park at 96 Winery, do the small loop out, you will see the arrow at the end of the parking lot. When you get to the tar road you head left and cross Winery Road. Single track up to Somerset College fence and then back down again, just go around the dam. Then through the game trail and back via Paddagang. Those trails are safe. Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Gents, Just wanted to say thanks for the help with the trails. We parked at 96 Winery last week and went up and down that green belt to Somerset Collage, and then under the road for a loop back to the parking. It was super enjoyable and beautiful. I might take the 6 year old and wife there too!

So I was going to take him up to Element at Montmarie Last night but realized they would close before I get the car out. So we ended up doing the blue loop at Helderberg from the Steynsrust Circle.

The Little man surprised me. The climb through granny's forest is quite steep initially and then becomes quite rooty, he managed the steep parts and had one vloer-moer when he fell over on a rooty harpin, but after some water and a chat he was on it and managed to ride most of it like a champ. We caried on up to the pump house where the blue route joins the downhill home as he wanted a "proper downhill" I knew he could ride down it as he has a little bit of skill but and he just got into it and let rip! I was stressing big time thinking he's going to go straight over a berm somewhere as he hardly slowed down for the berms which is loose over hardpack as you probably know (and he does not have very grippy tires). I think he went down there faster than a lot of seasoned folks and it was his first time. I was honestly amazed, and realized how these kids just push the limits and make their own rules.  I am now looking for a set of pads for him.. as I know that day will come :) 

3 hours ago, Bos said:

Gents, Just wanted to say thanks for the help with the trails. We parked at 96 Winery last week and went up and down that green belt to Somerset Collage, and then under the road for a loop back to the parking. It was super enjoyable and beautiful. I might take the 6 year old and wife there too!

So I was going to take him up to Element at Montmarie Last night but realized they would close before I get the car out. So we ended up doing the blue loop at Helderberg from the Steynsrust Circle.

The Little man surprised me. The climb through granny's forest is quite steep initially and then becomes quite rooty, he managed the steep parts and had one vloer-moer when he fell over on a rooty harpin, but after some water and a chat he was on it and managed to ride most of it like a champ. We caried on up to the pump house where the blue route joins the downhill home as he wanted a "proper downhill" I knew he could ride down it as he has a little bit of skill but and he just got into it and let rip! I was stressing big time thinking he's going to go straight over a berm somewhere as he hardly slowed down for the berms which is loose over hardpack as you probably know (and he does not have very grippy tires). I think he went down there faster than a lot of seasoned folks and it was his first time. I was honestly amazed, and realized how these kids just push the limits and make their own rules.  I am now looking for a set of pads for him.. as I know that day will come :) 

Hiehie .... flash-back to the day Maritz got it wrong on a dubble hump .... kicked his feet off the pedals, stomach on the saddle in a proper Superman style .... kept going like that 10 or 20m until the trail turned and he went straight into the brush.

Took a good amount patience and talking to get him going again.  Told him he could ride on the gravel road or the trail, but he needs to take his bike back.  Stopped for a milkshake, after which he did some more laps.

SO nice to see them growing !!  But demmit our nerves ....

5 hours ago, Bos said:

The Little man surprised me.

I knew he could ride down it as he has a little bit of skill but and he just got into it and let rip! 

If Bos says he has a bit of skill, I reckon he is just naturally better than roughly 73.8% of the crowd that rides there. 

Knee pads, full face and Jonkershoek in two years time. 

5 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

If Bos says he has a bit of skill, I reckon he is just naturally better than roughly 73.8% of the crowd that rides there. 

Knee pads, full face and Jonkershoek in two years time. 

Haha, Philip, for a second I was wondering if all my years of riding could some how be grafted into his genes. I never considered riding well being a talent, It happens when someone puts in the hours.. Like building your own tracks back in high school and if thats all you do for quite a while, anyone would get it eventually!? However he seems to have a bit of raw talent. But lots and lots to learn. Not sure I want to get him hooked on riding to early. He must play team sports etc. 

31 minutes ago, Bos said:

Haha, Philip, for a second I was wondering if all my years of riding could some how be grafted into his genes. I never considered riding well being a talent, It happens when someone puts in the hours.. Like building your own tracks back in high school and if thats all you do for quite a while, anyone would get it eventually!? However he seems to have a bit of raw talent. But lots and lots to learn. Not sure I want to get him hooked on riding to early. He must play team sports etc. 

Your raw talent is probably what attracted you to bikes when all your peers were playing rugby. 
A lot of kids ride bikes, only a few really love riding. 

I’m with you on kids doing team sports as well. The Tiger Woods syndrome is way too prevalent, especially in our kids’ school.