Road pedals

JuddMan

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of guidance here please. I'm new to road cycling and recently got some nice road shoes that were on special (I've been on flats for a bit to get my balance up first and think it's time to go clip less).

So now I need to get cleats and pedals and here is where I need advice. If I look at cycle lab for example, they have pedals from around R699 (Ryder) all the way to a couple thousand rand for Shimano ultegra and Look pedals.

What benefits does one get with the much more expensive pedals and are they necessary for the amateur/beginner?

TIA

More expensive generally just means lighter, although in the case of LOOK pedals, its also extra tension.

Take a look at cleat options too... I find Shimano cleats (same throughout the range) are MUCH more stable to walk in and no real negatives. They're cheap and easy to use too. Look pedals can be slippery and the grip options aren't always available. Most generic pedals will use Shimano cleats too, but make sure of this.

Lastly, serviceability. Shimano also trumps here, IMO, and generally they just know how to make a pedal last.

If you want to save weight, spend the extra money. I believe the 105 is the sweet spot of weight & cost, but if you're not too bothered then just get the cheapest ones and go nuts.

Your best bet would be to pickup a second hand pair of Shimano MTB pedals like these: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/pedals/399544/shimano-pd-m520-pedals

[Edit: just check that your shoes can take a 2 bolt mtb cleat]

They're bombproof so a used set should be fine.

MTB pedals have the advantage of you being able to clip in on either side of the pedal which will be helpful as you learn.

To directly answer your question, the most significant differences between pedals are weight & amount of "float" they allow.

Pedal weight is immaterial for us non-pro athletes, I'm sure we can all lose an extra 200g of body weight first!

Float is basically the amount of lateral movement the pedal allows your knee as it goes through the pedaling motion. If you don't have a very straight up & down stroke and your pedal has zero float you run the risk of knee issues if your cleats aren't set 100% correctly.

Oh, when you do get a set of pedals, don't forget to loosen the spring tention adjuster. It'll allow you to more easily clip out. Once you've got the hang of things then tighten them up.

Edited by NC_lurker

More expensive pedals are lighter, use more exotic materials, and are supposedly better built.

Not sure if any of that matters to the average amateur cyclist.?

4 most common brands: Shimano, Look, Time and Speedplay.

Anything else is likely to be a copy.

Different brands tend to feel different with slightly different cleat interfaces, and people tend to have preferences in this respect... I suppose only a factor once you've used more than one.

Mostly agree with what's been said,

1. If you're going to ride seriously go with either Shimano or Look road pedals - you're choosing a family that you will be in for life. I've always had Looks and I like their pedals, but I would note that the Shimano options do seem to wear out slower. The others are relatively less common and not perhaps a good choice as a first pedal. Plastic cleats (both options are plastic) are useful because you can see how worn they are, and you can tell when they need to be replaced. This is important if you are a high power rider with a risk of injury if your cleat gives up on you.

New prices are R1000 to R1800 a pair for either make if you stay away from the top end stuff

2. If you want to commute, trip/tour, combine riding and walking, or generally only ride socially then go with Shimano SPD MTB pedals. They are tough as nails and will (almost) never wear out. The downside is they tend to create a pressure point on your foot on long road rides (where your feet/body are not changing position much), and they don't fix your foot in position nearly as much as road pedals do, which means some power loss.

Edited by 100Tours

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of guidance here please. I'm new to road cycling and recently got some nice road shoes that were on special (I've been on flats for a bit to get my balance up first and think it's time to go clip less).

So now I need to get cleats and pedals and here is where I need advice. If I look at cycle lab for example, they have pedals from around R699 (Ryder) all the way to a couple thousand rand for Shimano ultegra and Look pedals.

What benefits does one get with the much more expensive pedals and are they necessary for the amateur/beginner?

TIA

Hi all,

TIA

I've got used pedals if you keen   :thumbup: ...was going to put em up in the classifieds anyway.

Been keeping them from a previous road bike in case i end up getting a road bike again. I've however added a gravel bike to my options, so me and road bikes are done  :w00t:

Shimano PD-R540 & Cleats (Yellow ones, think its SH-11 version if my memory serves me correctly)

I've got used pedals if you keen :thumbup: ...was going to put em up in the classifieds anyway.

Been keeping them from a previous road bike in case i end up getting a road bike again. I've however added a gravel bike to my options, so me and road bikes are done :w00t:

Shimano PD-R540 & Cleats (Yellow ones, think its SH-11 version if my memory serves me correctly)

OP, just get these. Make a plan and you're sorted. No need to stress any more than this.

Mostly agree with what's been said,

1. If you're going to ride seriously go with either Shimano or Look road pedals - you're choosing a family that you will be in for life. I've always had Looks and I like their pedals, but I would note that the Shimano options do seem to wear out slower. The others are relatively less common and not perhaps a good choice as a first pedal. Plastic cleats (both options are plastic) are useful because you can see how worn they are, and you can tell when they need to be replaced. This is important if you are a high power rider with a risk of injury if your cleat gives up on you.

New prices are R1000 to R1800 a pair for either make if you stay away from the top end stuff

2. If you want to commute, trip/tour, combine riding and walking, or generally only ride socially then go with Shimano SPD MTB pedals. They are tough as nails and will (almost) never wear out. The downside is they tend to create a pressure point on your foot on long road rides (where your feet/body are not changing position much), and they don't fix your foot in position nearly as much as road pedals do, which means some power loss.

Two things to note for average Joe...

One, the look pedals require special tools to service.

Two, the part of the look cleat that touches the ground when you walk, is also responsible for maintaining correct fit into the pedal and therefore retention. The Shimano cleat does not. Ah, but you say, you're a roadie! You dont walk! But most events, to my annoyance, make you get off your bike and walk into the start pens. Argust can be a long ass walk too...

Something to keep in mind if you're starting a bike collections and deciding on a pedal family to join.

OP has acquired road cycling shoes, so wants road pedals

OP has suggested they're new to cycling and asked about pedals. Shimano MTB pedals are the easiest pedals to learn with.

Just because you're riding a road bike doesn't mean you can't fit MTB pedals.

OP has suggested they're new to cycling and asked about pedals. Shimano MTB pedals are the easiest pedals to learn with.

He will have to use the mtb cleat as well and also provided he shoes can take both road or mtb cleat

Read, OP has already acquired road shoes - most road shoes are not MTB cleat compatible. So to go with your suggestion he would more than likely need to get another pair of shoes. Your comment may lead to an incorrectly informed decision by the OP

Read, OP has already acquired road shoes - most road shoes are not MTB cleat compatible. So to go with your suggestion he would more than likely need to get another pair of shoes. Your comment may lead to an incorrectly informed decision by the OP

Oh, I'm sorry. I always struggle if there aren't enough pictures..

On the positive side, you've shown the OP the difference between someone offering useful advise (reference Eddy Gordon's post) and yourself.

Right Rowe shoes and needs road pedals.

Since you’re new to road cycling I’m going to really swim upstream here and suggest you ignore all that’s been suggested.

You want a pedal system that allows easy entry and especially exit. You want the Time Espresso 6. It’s around R1200 and come with cleats.

The reason I suggest the Time pedal system is due to ;

1) very large cleat engagement with the pedal body making the connection between shoe and pedal very stsble,

2) the pedal engagement mechanism is always open making entry easy

3) the free float design is familiar to people who’ve used flat pedals

4)the disengagement from the pedal is easier and lighter than the Look style pedal systems including Shimano.

Of the Look patent licensee companies, the genuine LOOK Cycles Keo2max or Keo blade pedals are simply the most stable. The clear engages most positively with the pedal body than with the other licensed designs. I found the Shimano pedals to have less clear engagement

The Ryder pedal is a good value option . It’s just a bit heavier than LOOK or Shimano.

I’ll post a picture or two tomorrow to illustrate what I mean by the Time pedal have a more positive engagement between clear and pedal