Road pedals

JuddMan

I am also new to road cycling, I went with the Ryder pedals just because I wanted a cheapish setup, have worked well for me so far, I ride flats on my MTB, so it takes some getting used to the action needed to unclip, they have a decent amount of float so have never felt uncomfortable to me, I also wound the engagement spring to its loosest to unclip more easily

Having said all that, I am seriously considering just going back to flats on the road bike, clipping in is just very unsettling to me, especially where I ride, the roads and corners are bumpy, so being clipped in I tend to corner really slowly because I just dont have any confidence, maybe it is something you will in time get used to, just not sure if I am willing to find out...

Edited by Chadvdw67

The Ryder pedals use the Look cleat system so you get the Look system without the Look price. Although entry level Looks are pretty cheap at around R1000.

If you are a newby I'd advise on Looks over Shimano. The shimano system is far more robust but the look cleat engagement feels better and more positive IMO.

My fiance tried to run the shimano's and really struggled with the clip in action. We got her some looks (they were meant to be for me) and she was much happier on them. I've since switched to look just because we do all of our roadie riding together and it just seems safer to be running the same cleating system.

I can't comment on Time

@Chadvdw67. Keep at it. I also run flats on all my mountain bikes You just can't run flats on a roadie.  It's aganst the law. The sketchy feeling you are getting is probably less to do with the pedals and more to do with that scrawny little tire and lack of suspension. Road bikes are Sketchy as hell compared to mountain bikes but you'll get into it.

Look vs Shimano

Look Advantages

- engagement feels better IMO

- even entry level pedals are light

Disadvantages

- cleats wear quickly if you walk in them

- pedals don't feel as robust as shimano

Shimano Advantages

- Your grandchildren will be leaving them to their grandchildren

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I have a few set of EXUS pedals they use Look Delta cleats you are welcome to a pair if you want.

Just gonna throw this in:

http://richardbaxter.co.za/

Go get a cleat setup done, or better yet, a proper bike fit

(I'm not Richard Baxster, not related to him, not his mate, not his agent, just had a fitting by him and it was the best thing I did for my riding)

slightly off topic ...

The benefits of cleats for road riding is obvious.

But for our typic MTB trail riding .... there seems to be a real split between those for cleats and those for flat pedals ...

Would appreciate some unbiased facts for and against the two options