Pre owned bicycle for beginner

BernardRaath

Hi

I want to buy my first bike in the R6000 region. Does anyone have suggestions?

ATM I can get a Momsen 2016 AL129 for R5000 or a Raleigh RM 5 (on bikehub) for 6800. I cant find anything on the RM 5 on google?

My main goal is to start training until I can do 100km per day, to ride to Cairo in about 2 years time to fulfil my friend's dream that passed away. I know this sounds far fetched but I'm very determined. Please help.

By then I will probably have a bigger budget but for now I need to start training.

Bernard WELCOME to the Hub

Raleigh is bottom end Makro ....

Momsen is a MUCH better bike !

I know Raleigh is generally Makro/ Game bikes but don't you get higher valued Raleighs also? The Momsen available is just really an ugly colour and the Raleigh looks like it was also better taken care of.

It will cost you about R2k to have the Momsen sprayed to a colour you like. :)

The Raleigh .... uhmmm .... NO

PS ... we bought a Makro bike for our son a few years ago. It actually gave us good service. I then bought "decent" bike from Makro to use as a commuter .... the frame had so much flex I took it back the next day

Internationally Raleigh is a fairly respected albeit dated brand.

Locally Raleigh had a good period about 15 years ago.

The top end bikes were raced on the local pro scene.

The RM5 to which you refer dates back to that period.

Consider the age, likely mileage and probable wear and tear.

I had a Momsen AL129 which served me well, but R5k sounds way too much unless it has had some upgrades.

If memory serves I only paid just over R6k new for mine in 2015, and a 2016 would likely not have cost more than R7k.

I had a Momsen AL129 which served me well, but R5k sounds way too much unless it has had some upgrades.

If memory serves I only paid just over R6k new for mine in 2015, and a 2016 would likely not have cost more than R7k.

Okay thanks. I'm totally new to biking so I need the advice.

Take your R6k. Take your time. Check out the classifieds here until you find something maybe a touch better and dont be afraid to negotiate hard.

Good luck Pal, hope your dream comes true to attempt that ride.

Don't forget to budget on a helmet!

Hi Bernard. As mentioned, welcome to Bikehub, and more importantly, cycling. As for the bike, I echo the sentiments re not buying from Makro. They sell bicycle shaped objects, not actual bicycles. Avoid.

As Vetseun said, rather wait it out and buy the right bike.

But I am more intrigued by your reason for starting to ride. Sorry to hear about your friend's passing. That's always sad to hear. I am heartened to hear that in this broken world we find ourselves in that there is still someone who will take the time and immense effort to honour someone they obviously cared about. I respect what you are doing immensely, and would love to read about your efforts to achieve your end-goal here as you progress.

I applaud your intentions. 

Bernard WELCOME to the Hub

Raleigh is bottom end Makro ....

Pfffttt! A quick look at the bike for sale here that the guy mentions shows it is not a makro Raleigh.

Pfffttt! A quick look at the bike for sale here that the guy mentions shows it is not a makro Raleigh.

+1 - I agree - Most of the Raleigh's on offer especially in the road section are RC's - Nothing wrong with those old RC's as an entry level bike. They were good bikes and well specc'd for their price.

The RM5 on offer is also not a bad deal for entry level all be it a 26er - It has a RECON fork Tubeless with good tyres and the groupset is good

+1 - I agree - Most of the Raleigh's on offer especially in the road section are RC's - Nothing wrong with those old RC's as an entry level bike. They were good bikes and well specc'd for their price.

The RM5 on offer is also not a bad deal for entry level all be it a 26er - It has a RECON fork Tubeless with good tyres and the groupset is good

Yip. I have a RM 6.0, the one with the carbon rear stays, also a 26", but, it probably has 1000km on it total over the years. Not a single scratch on it, it get's ridden when I go with my fiancee when she runs 5km a couple of times a week.

Actually Ralleigh served me very well for many years.  As said before take your time.  Also take note of the components on the bike.  That is the more expensive part to replace.  There are good deals and there are many here that will assist you, you just have to ask.  Good luck with your search.

Thanks.

So noted....