Are the more reasonable bike brands ok?

Penny Harvey

Signal bikes stormer

Momsen

Titan racing

Silverback

I looked into Soefialized and Scott and they’re a rip off for kids bikes. Spec isn’t that great, you just pay for the privilege of a pro team. Bought my 7 ur old the Signal and she loves it

I am going through the same exercise with my daughter now moving on from 16'' to 20''. Just got two quotes on Signal and Titan coming in between R3,8K and R4,2K which I find is quite steep considering next Christmas we will be close to moving to 24''... Makro and Game do not offer great variety on geared options.  

I went with the Titan Racing Hades 24" for my son. Its extremely well priced and much better than the Scott 24" and Axis 26" that my neighbors opted for. 

I am going through the same exercise with my daughter now moving on from 16'' to 20''. Just got two quotes on Signal and Titan coming in between R3,8K and R4,2K which I find is quite steep considering next Christmas we will be close to moving to 24''... Makro and Game do not offer great variety on geared options.  

Steep yes but the Signal and Titan package is very well sorted out. The brakes and gears are easy to use and the frames can take a beating. The alternative is to get someone else's kids beaten up 20" and spend another R500 -R1000 to sort it out.

The Scott and spaz options are like R7000-R8500!!! NAF my bru

Edited by DieselnDust

Can look for a Titan 249R it is a 24" frame with 26er wheels the 24D is straight 24"

Just be careful with that option. Unless he is very tall for his age it wil likely be too big for him as its a long bike

Do you have  a second child? 

I got decent second hand Alu bikes from Frog and Isla, they are far easier for the kids to ride. If you get 4/5 years of use out of it, an extra 1500 is not even a set of road tyres so worth it. 

If he is only using it to go round the block once a week then it does not matter. If he wants to ride trails etc then something a little better built etc is worth it.

3rd bike in less than 3 years .....

Titan is giving us EXCELLENT service, and by the time he outgrows it, it is still in good condition and we get decent 2nd hand prices.

• 2 years later...
On 8/13/2020 at 12:18 PM, DieselnDust said:

Just be careful with that option. Unless he is very tall for his age it wil likely be too big for him as its a long bike

Hey! Sorry to drag up an old thread, just a quick question on this as I’m also looking at bikes for 8yo. 

The 249r - is this not just a 24” frame with 26” wheels? So would have thought frame size would be same as standard 24” just with more tyre clearance? Or am I mistaken, is the 24” frame longer to account for the larger wheels?

12 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Hey! Sorry to drag up an old thread, just a quick question on this as I’m also looking at bikes for 8yo. 

The 249r - is this not just a 24” frame with 26” wheels? So would have thought frame size would be same as standard 24” just with more tyre clearance? Or am I mistaken, is the 24” frame longer to account for the larger wheels?

No, it is not.

The 24.9r is actually a 26", with an XS frame.  The reach on this is significantly longer than the 24".

We considered skipping the 24" .... one look at the stretched superman position as he tried to work the steering was enough to get the 24".

15 months later he grew into the 24.9r

@Spookie we can meet at Bloemendal if you want your youngster to try the 24.9r on the pump track.

Send a DM if you want to try it out

Edited by ChrisF

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

No, it is not.

The 24.9r is actually a 26", with an XS frame.  The reach on this is significantly longer than the 24".

We considered skipping the 24" .... one look at the stretched superman position as he tried to work the steering was enough to get the 24".

15 months later he grew into the 24.9r

@Spookie we can meet at Bloemendal if you want your youngster to try the 24.9r on the pump track.

Send a DM if you want to try it out

Hey Chris

Thanks so much for the info, and the offer, much appreciated!

I definitely think I’ll go with the 24” for now, he isn’t the most confident little guy at the best of times, so would rather make sure he is as comfortable as possible…