Trailers: Where to start?

breaker

So, bike count and size is increasing and my trusty holdfast 2 bike rack unfortunately won't cut it anymore.

Hence me looking at a trailer that I could fit a 4 bike rack onto.

Looking at second hand trailers, I need advise please. Have no idea what to look out for as I'm super new to this one.

What i do know thus far far is 13inch not 10inch :P, check tire tread and preferably nose cone.

What I don't know is:

• Is rust an issue - reason I ask is because its astonishing the amount asked for what looks like rust buckets :eek:
  • If there are "no papers", how much would it cost and whats involved in "getting papers".
  • If there are "papers" what do I need to look out for?
  • If it does not have a bike rack, what do I need to look at ito getting one mounted onto it.
  • Also a bit obvious, but is age an issue?
  • And then what else do I need to ask a potential seller?

Any advise would be appreciated, thanx.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a towbar, if I'm hauling 4 bikes rest assured my boot not going to be big enough for stuff accommodating the trip, hence looking at the trailer as well.

Don’t buy anything without papers. It’s a massive schlep to get them. I have a 5 ft Venter with a strides 4 bike rack on it. Works nicely. Big tow bar racks are a pain. 4 bikes won’t fit unless you start moving saddles and handlebars 

What kind of bikes?

Consider roof rack + your existing rack.

keep in mind even if you're not carrying bikes these things take A big toll on feul economy and when you are carrying bikes economy leaves the room 

As said ... only look at those with papers.

Nose cone will be VERY handy for all the extra stuff ....

Yes, 13 inch. Check the age of the tires, after 6 years the rubber starts to perish, especially so if it was parked in the sun.

Also check if it has a spare tire.

No worries if the tires are in bad condition, or old, just handy to note for determining a final price.

If possible, check the bearings prior to purchase. At the very least do service it for your own peace of mind.

Check if the trailer lights work ... condition of the wiring.

Older trailer wont have the reflective tape along the sides ... you may need some reflectors ....

These are all small things, easy to sort out if you DIY.... Just helps to know what you are buying.

My neighbour has a Xrad trailer.

They have some very nice options. Putting a nose cone and bike rack onto their motorcyle trailer has some very nice options...

Worth the google, may give you some ideas .... ????

Feedback below

So, bike count and size is increasing and my trusty holdfast 2 bike rack unfortunately won't cut it anymore.

Hence me looking at a trailer that I could fit a 4 bike rack onto.

Looking at second hand trailers, I need advise please. Have no idea what to look out for as I'm super new to this one.

What i do know thus far far is 13inch not 10inch :P, check tire tread and preferably nose cone.

Also check age of the tyre and for cracking rubber. If it has been standing on the same spot without being jacked up for ages the tyre us probably toast. And bearings may need replacing as well. I regret not putting a nosecone on mine when I designed it.

What I don't know is:

• Is rust an issue - reason I ask is because its astonishing the amount asked for what looks like rust buckets :eek:

Yes, especially at the coast. Chassis rust is a no no. Deep rust on the panels as well. Surface rust can be fixed and reprayed, but don't spend good money on it.

• If there are "no papers", how much would it cost and whats involved in "getting papers".

All the license fees in arrears need to be paid, police clearance and roadworthy. It's a lot of hassle, don't buy it unless you have time and patience for red tape.

• If there are "papers" what do I need to look out for?

Check that the VIN stamped into the chassis matches up with the license disk and papers.

• If it does not have a bike rack, what do I need to look at ito getting one mounted onto it.

A roof rack or at the very least roof rails.

I put two of the Holdfast trailer racks on mine, they have lekker wide spacing between bikes, so our 4 bikes don't touch each other.

• Also a bit obvious, but is age an issue?

Not if it has been looked after well.

• And then what else do I need to ask a potential seller?
Has it been used often, or has it been used only for holidays? (A trailer that has only neem used yearly will have me worried about bearings and tyres.)

How was it stored? Inside or outside? Underneath a sail or exposed?

Any advise would be appreciated, thanx.

The commercially made trailers (venter, Challenger, Jurgens, Campmaster etc) are all electro plated galvanized,bso they shouldn't rust. But if they get chips then rust starts there. The panels are thin, so if it starts to spread it becomes like papermache. But you'll pick quickly if it is a rust bucket. When you do a visual inspection make sure to look underneath it at the chassis.

Plug it into your car, test the lights. Lights and rewiring is a relatively easy fix if you are modestly handy.

If it has LED lights there is a chance that your car does not like it. My wife's Volla does not like my trailer at all, and keep on alerting that it has broken lights, but it doesn't.

Edited by PhilipV

• Is rust an issue - reason I ask is because its astonishing the amount asked for what looks like rust buckets  :eek: Trailers left outside will show signs of rust . Check underneath and especially the chassis beams 

• If there are "no papers", how much would it cost and whats involved in "getting papers". "Walk Away " , it can cost a fortune in back license payments or trying to get it registered is a headache .

If there are "papers" what do I need to look out for? Go to one of the  license  for you  guys and ask them to do a Natis check on the vin /chassis no /make of trailer .. If there are any discrepancies "Walk Away "

If it does not have a bike rack, what do I need to look at ito getting one mounted onto it.. Try get a trailer with a flat lid . ( Certain makes have angled shaped lids ( Harder to fit racks . Nose cone is good but also try get one with a tail gate .

Also a bit obvious, but is age an issue?. Age is no problem as long as you can satisfy yourself that its in good condition . 

And then what else do I need to ask a potential seller? They always lie about how much its been used , when last was it serviced and were it was kept when not in use . .

Change the wheel bearings before you go on a long trip with weight in it , Change the globes in the tail lights and flickers . Don't pay more than 60% of what a new one costs now . Dont buy home made they have funny things go wrong and maybe then its not a standard part to fix .Good Luck . I speak from experience , i buy and sell classic cars 

Thanx everyone, will post more questions when I find one to view, but really appreciate the feedback.

If you buy a used trailer, maybe add some cash in the budget to replace the bearings and tyres anyway. Nothing spoils a holiday like a trailer with a dead bearing. It's relatively cheap price for peace of mind.

And remember that there are licensing and insurance costs as well.

But these costs fade a bit when going on holiday or camping and not worrying about where everything needs to go.

Trailers do get stolen, sometimes even at the the padstal while you are drinking coffee. My camping trailer has a nice Knott coupler that has a lock built in, so it can't be hitched when stationary, and unhitched when locked on the towball. And then I put a towing cable through the bikes and locked into one of the openers to prevent theft while at said padstal.

yes I see that, decided to get it myself and contacted seller

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  , I expect my initiation fee int mail correct :):):)

Nice one man. :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup: