Power meter / electronic technician

Sprocket and Chain

W.r.t. the comment(s) on the type of battery to use, I’ve tried Energiser, and I’ll get half the hours compared to Alphacell. Alphacell is my supplier at work for AA, AAA, C, D and a customised pack. i get the CR2032 at R24 per pack of 5, so even though it lasts slightly less than other known brands, it costs 4-5 times less than in the shops.

I starting adding the battery to Garmin Connect under “other”, and tracked the usage I get per battery. Not sure why these apps only allow Km as the sole metric, and not have an option for hours.

post-1372-0-79448700-1598006117_thumb.png

Edited by Frosty

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

W.r.t. the comment(s) on the type of battery to use, I’ve tried Energiser, and I’ll get half the hours compared to Alphacell. Alphacell is my supplier at work for AA, AAA, C, D and a customised pack. i get the CR2032 at R24 per pack of 5, so even though it lasts slightly less than other known brands, it costs 4-5 times less than in the shops.

I starting adding the battery to Garmin Connect under “other”, and tracked the usage I get per battery. Not sure why these apps only allow Km as the sole metric, and not have an option for hours.

attachicon.gifbattery tracking.PNG

You can get an app called ProBikeGarage that links to your Strava and will track hours and km if you are interested. Can add any component you can dream up and it tracks them all separately but if you say they are on the bike and add that bike to the workout it will increment the counters on all components. No need to add each as a separate gear item like Garmin.

Not too sure if I'm doing it right.

if I put the battery in (- side against the - node of the PM) and then put the volt meter + on the  + side of the battery and the volt meter - on the + node of the unit, it should display 1.6V and mean that the unit is powered right ? So if doing so the PM doesn't appear on my garmin it means Rotor is screwing with me ?

Can you post a photo of the battery compartment?

Not too sure if I'm doing it right.

if I put the battery in (- side against the - node of the PM) and then put the volt meter + on the  + side of the battery and the volt meter - on the + node of the unit, it should display 1.6V and mean that the unit is powered right ? So if doing so the PM doesn't appear on my garmin it means Rotor is screwing with me ?

Not necessarily, the PM can still get power and the lights come on, but if any of the strain gauges or something else has broken inside then the garmin may or may not recognise it.  And even if it does, it won't give any power readings.

I had a Quarq Riken a few years ago, lights came on when battery installed, even paired with garmin and the legacy app, but no power output.  Sent away for inspection and was told some of the strain gauges had broken.

Can you post a photo of the battery compartment?

post-139805-0-15954300-1598432973_thumb.jpeg

The power goes through the unit, I had someone look at it, so the explanation given by evobikes/the rotor agent isn't the right one, and they denied me warranty for the wrong reason... I'm trying to deal directly with the rotor support now... The problem must come from somewhere else, maybe the sensor, maybe the ant+ transmiter, who knows

@shaper > Mine never actually shows on any of my garmins, it's like it just never wakes up. And there's no LED or USB plug so hard to know what's going on

Edited by Jbr