Mid vs High end vs Ultra High end

James Dunn

I'm so sorry.

That is hectic. I lost my 1st 'serious' girlfriend in a car crash that we had. It is bad enough so I can't imagine how losing your wife must be. 

I agree on the 'older' dad part. I think as long as you are still fit and active, the mental space that comes with experience makes a huge difference.

That being said, one of the best dads I know had his daughter when he was 17. He has devoted his entire adult life to her and they both thrive.

But there are always exceptions to the rule..

I dont know so much, I was much more chilled 10 years ago.

But I guess work and life stress also play an important roll

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know so much, I was much more chilled 10 years ago.

But I guess work and life stress also play an important roll

Ouzo as South Africans we were all a little more chilled 10 years ago and in my case richer, younger and thinner

Edited by Waynemol

Ja.. sjoe.

The wife and I ummed and Ahhed about whether to become breeders. It was a big decision with the state of the world, how SA was looking etc but in 2018 we pulled the trigger. I'm essentially an 'older' 1st time kid producer so it was timeous.

My business was cruising, I went to World Champs AR on Reunion, we painted and renovated the house, got baby room ready etc...

2019 was more of the same, baby arrived in August and so we worked on less sleep, made it through season and through good planning, I had 3 bar worth of really good work lined up between Feb and June.

That obviously never happened, so with a 6 month old baby, we went from a well established, decent earning house to zero income over night.

My wife has been paid R6800 zar in total by her employers since March. WTAF.

Luckily we have super low overheads with no debt or credit besides the house and medical/stuff insurance. We as a company started trading again 2 weeks ago and sjoe... It is a welcome relief to see some cash flow. But the damage is done and whether or not we can sustain our staff and be busy we will only really see in December/jan and into what would usually be 'high season' Feb to April.

So while you make the right decisions, take risks, get your business going and feel like a self made king, sometimes you still land up getting the s**t kicked out of you! hahaha

I don't get breeders who clearly can't support their situation, but my advice would be to make sure you are VERY certain you want to put that strain on yourself financially, emotionally and regards your relationship.

I believe it is 100% worth it as my little dude brings me more joy than any bike, any ride, any toy.

But having really lived prior to becoming a dad I have nothing left to prove so can really be at peace with being with him, there for him and not think 'I should be out riding/traveling/drinking/whatevering'

I think that makes a huge difference too.

But what do I know, mine is still a freshie who can't even make sentences yet! 

Sorry hear about your hard times man, hope it picks up in a big way and soon.

​Everyone is different and I fully understand how/why some people choose not to have kids. But aside from costing me a fortune my kids have taught me a lot, like being (a little) less selfish and how to negotiate, lol.

For me personally, if my kids are the reason I'm unable to ever afford XX1 Eagle I'll consider myself a blessed man.

Sorry hear about your hard times man, hope it picks up in a big way and soon.

​Everyone is different and I fully understand how/why some people choose not to have kids. But aside from costing me a fortune my kids have taught me a lot, like being (a little) less selfish and how to negotiate, lol.

For me personally, if my kids are the reason I'm unable to ever afford XX1 Eagle I'll consider myself a blessed man.

Thanks, ja. I'm happy. 

My spawn has been a huge distraction and positive for me and the wife these last few months despite the 'issues'.

I hear you. I would choose my little dude over any toy or any adventure when it comes down to it

Look, the simple reality is that one can simply never never have too many entry level / mid range and or top of the range bicycles!  :whistling:

I've managed to continue riding & upgrading etc. when our son was born during Feb 2019 however since our daughter's birth in July this year, the real issue is actually finding time to ride.

With the Belgium borders not open to Saffas to visit for soscial purposes until probably end of the year if not later, I will seemingly only start clocking the hours and miles in the saddle again once the (grand)mothers arrive to spend 3-4 weeks with us at a time. :)

Although creche is freakishly expensive they've reopened following the summer holidays so I probably in the interim also need to become hyper creative with my (home)work schedule that is in place until December, to ensure I squeeze in 2-3 rides per week whilst still over delivering at work.

With that being said, huge respect to all of you that are parents and also to those of you that aren't - until 3 years ago i thought I will never be able to become a dad so the realization since then is that we all have our unique path carved out in life and as long as we keep on riding (the bike!) all will work out at the end of the day.

post-31951-0-75890300-1599227390_thumb.jpg

Edited by Charlie600

our daughter's birth in July this year, 

once the mothers arrive to spend 3-4 weeks with us at a time. :)

Wait, what?

Think he means mom and mother in law [emoji1]

Ah, right. It doesn't read that way at first...

Look, the simple reality is that one can simply never never have too many entry level / mid range and or top of the range bicycles! :whistling:

I've managed to continue riding & upgrading etc. when our son was born during Feb 2019 however since our daughter's birth in July this year, the real issue is actually finding time to ride.

With the Belgium borders not open to Saffas to visit for soscial purposes until probably end of the year if not later, I will seemingly only start clocking the hours and miles in the saddle again once the mothers arrive to spend 3-4 weeks with us at a time. :)

Although creche is freakishly expensive they've reopened following the summer holidays so I probably in the interim also need to become hyper creative with my (home)work schedule that is in place until December, to ensure I squeeze in 2-3 rides per week whilst still over delivering at work.

With that being said, huge respect to all of you that are parents and also to those of you that aren't - until 3 years ago i thought I will never be able to become a dad so the realization since then is that we all have our unique path carved out in life and as long as we keep on riding (the bike!) all will work out at the end of the day.

nice bikes [emoji6][emoji106]

Wait, what?

Haha, good shout - indeed mother in law and my mom. I would physically die trying to raise a 19 month old & 5 week old on my own - single parents are in my view the true superheroes in this world!

Edited by Charlie600

Jip, life happens ....

Had some good times, also had to down scale a few years back .... put in the hours, got a few lucky breaks .... let's see how we all get out of the current situation ....

Kids .... was not meant to be for us. Had a nice free lifestyle ... Thursday afternoon we would decide where we would go camping for the weekend .... nice 2-person rig .... and then Maritz came into our lives in 2011. He had colic (?) for the first three months ... simply no way his mom could get him to stop crying, I would walk in take in my arms and he would fall asleep .... from 6 months old he and my wife was inseparable !! Now our lives are planned around him ... :)

As said previously .... do it when you are ready, not due to peer pressure. When it is the right time it is the best thing ever ...

Look, the simple reality is that one can simply never never have too many entry level / mid range and or top of the range bicycles! :whistling:

With the Belgium borders not open to Saffas to visit for soscial purposes until probably end of the year if not later, I will seemingly only start clocking the hours and miles in the saddle again once the (grand)mothers arrive to spend 3-4 weeks with us at a time. :)

That Cube looks very cool

The other great thing about having kids is sharing your love for cycling with them. Honestly, I get more satisfaction in buying my kid a new bike and new gear than I get upgrading my own.

My son will be onto his third bike now. Started on balance bike and yesterday he wrecked his 16” bike [emoji2359] . In fairness, it was getting a bit small.

Next up going to 20” and I think I’m gonna get him this now. First bike with gears[emoji3].

The joy on his face will be well worth it[emoji3].

post-46814-0-41272500-1599281436_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Bub Marley

The other great thing about having kids is sharing your love for cycling with them. Honestly, I get more satisfaction in buying my kid a new bike and new gear than I get upgrading my own.

My son will be onto his third bike now. Started on balance bike and yesterday he wrecked his 16” bike [emoji2359] . In fairness, it was getting a bit small.

Next up going to 20” and I think I’m gonna get him this now. First bike with gears[emoji3].

The joy on his face will be well worth it[emoji3].

attachicon.gif94A1199E-AC6F-4039-94F5-13237899E72F.jpeg

attachicon.gif1CDB1DCA-1DFB-49BD-ABEB-F855AC37D852.jpeg

I’ve got two kids and echo this sentiment 100%.

The oldest turning 18 this year is kicking my butt up hills, literally become my riding partner and official hand me down accepter (we ride the same size bike, wear the same size shoes and if I keep Banting, we will soon wear the same size kit ).

As an old hand at owning a kid(s), I can guarantee that the balance of having kids and having nice toys are not mutually exclusive, in fact I would argue that my financial luck only increased when I started having kids.

I currently have 4 bikes, my son has two, my daughter her first decent bike recently and wifey just wont let go of her Carbon specialized Sirrus. There are at least another two more bikes joining the garage as we speak.