mecheng89

Lots of warnings about rain on mybroadband forum.

You can get monthly MTN 4G packages from Axxess  for a reasonable cost, it works quite well with a decent router.  Fixed to one base station though. I have 150 +150 for R749 pm, service is okay.

Webafrica also doing fixed MTN but their support ... hmm, I think they have too many customers.

You wont find uncapped LTE/4G with MTN, even Telkom uncapped is speed limited BUT stay away from anything Telkom!

I disagree with this. I have a Telkom LTE contract I use exclusively at home with a decent router, and the only time I can complain about it is when I stream DSTV, and during peak times Netflix. 

Other than that, YT at 1080p no problem.

I can only get Vodacom fibre where I live and it's a bit pricey for my liking.

... the only time I can complain about it is when I stream DSTV, and during peak times Netflix. 

Cancel the DSTV and use the money saved to get fibre.  You won't look back.  

Lots of warnings about rain on mybroadband forum.

You can get monthly MTN 4G packages from Axxess for a reasonable cost, it works quite well with a decent router. Fixed to one base station though. I have 150 +150 for R749 pm, service is okay.

Webafrica also doing fixed MTN but their support ... hmm, I think they have too many customers.

You wont find uncapped LTE/4G with MTN, even Telkom uncapped is speed limited BUT stay away from anything Telkom!

I pay R849 for Vodacom Fibre and haven’t had problems with them. I don’t have any other options as they don’t share their lines. I’m in month 24 of the initial contract, so have more options from next month. Would I change? Not really.

Cancel the DSTV and use the money saved to get fibre. You won't look back.

Agreed; swapped my dstv for uncapped fibre from cool ideas @R600pm; Netflix, amazon prime, sorted. (And still cheaper than dstv)

I disagree with this. I have a Telkom LTE contract I use exclusively at home with a decent router, and the only time I can complain about it is when I stream DSTV, and during peak times Netflix. 

Other than that, YT at 1080p no problem.

Lucky you ;)  

Besides myself, I know of a few others who have had calamitous disasters with Telkom LTE and the general dysfunctional of their systems and network, and the inability to get any issue sorted out even in the smallest possible way.

post-63970-0-06606300-1599883717_thumb.jpg

Did a speed test a few minutes ago. Will be doing one consistently throughout the day. But what I read from other forums is that it is time of day dependent, bleh. 

Edited by mecheng89

I pay R849 for Vodacom Fibre and haven’t had problems with them. I don’t have any other options as they don’t share their lines. I’m in month 24 of the initial contract, so have more options from next month. Would I change? Not really.

Sure if you can get Fibre, great, But its not an option for many.

4G/4G+/LTE will depend on the area as well, but there are coverage maps, you should get d/l speeds from 50 t0 100 Mbps. 3G and HSDPA around 20 to 30 Mbps which is still alraait for video streaming, 

I was very happy with my 20 Mbps Uncapped ADSl until the lines got nicked and it took Telkom  3 months to say they will not replace them, and then just for got measure they kept on billing me for an additional 6 months and kindly got their debt collectors onto me, who simply could not understand why I would not be paying those bills. Idiots abound.

My understanding is with Rain that the marketeers are over selling it, its oversubscribed, oversold and underdelivering,

Edited by kosmonooit

It's fine for me most of the time for work. It depends on the time of day and how many other people are using the network at the same time. They need more bandwidth.

Edited by MrJacques

Speedtests are a relatively misleading thing with most ISP's.

The traffic is always prioritized so you get a skewed perception of the connection being better than it is.

Also speed tests just test the speed of the link to the ISP's server, not the Internet at large, so that can be a bit misleading but it is a good indication of the link speed.

• 1 month later...

Was about to pull the trigger on rain 4g LTE uncapped now I am seriously reconsidering after reading this thread.

We generally spend about a couple of months a year in Durban so makes no sense to go month to month on fibre. Besides the costs the installation will likely only be done just when we have to return to Jhb.

So looking for a similar arrangement to what rain offers without the performance issues ie I can cancel after one month and rejoin when I am back in Dbn and I can comfortably stream content.

Any other options out there?