Trail bike size

martinza

Same reason so many are stuck riding in Lycra suits with clipless pedals. Why? Because that’s what the pros use and what the shop recommended.

Trail riding has been around forever but the local industry simply didn’t promote it enough as a lifestyle / riding option.

Little do they know that an untapped footwear, apparel, and accessory market exists, not to mention the new bike options etc.

And shop owners with blinkers on employ people who fits in their narrow minded boxes. So the cycle of ineptitude continues.

There is a Spez store in Somerset West, when one of the shop guys was asked for a tyre in a Black Diamond sidewall he replied with: "No, those are meant for ebikes."

When I walked into the spez store in Stellenbosch looking for shoes, the first question the shop guy asked was what bike I ride. I replied only with " 'n Trance" and he steered me towards the softer soled hike-a-bike friendly shoes. He is a well known racer around here, but at least he knows his market.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just walked this exact same path.

Traditionally had XC hardtail and done Sani2C, 100 - 160km Gravel races etc with occasional trail riding.

I've taken the very difficult decision to sell my carefully built up and much loved XC bike and have bought a Slade.

If most of your riding is trail based and you might do the occasional race for fun, a trail hardtail will kick ass. Yes, it will be 1-2kg heavier and yes, it won't be quite as fast on tar or smooth gravel but for everything else it is just so much better and safer.

One also needs to remember that for 90% of us, 1-2kg heavier and slightly lower rolling speed will make the difference between coming 100th and 80th at a race - so what.

This is coming from me who has spent all my sporting career doing intervals and running up hills etc for fun so I am very competitive.

Re sizing, I am 177cm and the medium Slade would have been way to small so I'm glad I found a large.

I reckon you'll fit the medium well - what you will find is that the seated position feels more upright because of the shorter stem and steep Seat Angle.

My Slade weighs 14 (!!!) kg coming from an 11kg racing machine and yes, it is slower uphill and into wind on the beachfront but I'm taking it as an investment in my riding skills, fun and leg strength.

Also allows me to start the BikeHub classifieds trawling for lighter and better parts which I think we all love.

No bike is ever the last bike so ride the hell out of it for a while and then, if you want to race hard, keep it for fun weekends and get a whippet for racing.

Edited by andrew5336

Title says trail bike. The titan is a xc bike.

There are not many trails around here that will not be handled by the Drone. I made mention of it since it's an affordable hardtail that is not entirely badly specced.

Unless OP is planning to plumb the depths of Armageddon or Iron Monkey on a hardtail, this bike should be more than enough for 98% of the trails around the Cape.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. I just mentioned the Titan as a not so bad alternative. If you want a full-on trail hardtail, I am confident that you are not going to find that in SA anyway, and definitely not under 20k.

There are not many trails around here that will not be handled by the Drone. I made mention of it since it's an affordable hardtail that is not entirely badly specced.

Unless OP is planning to plumb the depths of Armageddon or Iron Monkey on a hardtail, this bike should be more than enough for 98% of the trails around the Cape.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. I just mentioned the Titan as a not so bad alternative. If you want a full-on trail hardtail, I am confident that you are not going to find that in SA anyway, and definitely not under 20k.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/425888/silverback-slade-2020

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/424768/silverback-slade-trail-model-mtb

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/426082/trek-roscoe-8

As per my post here 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/186427-100mm-hardtails-are-death-traps/?hl=death+trap

It's not about whether the bike CAN do it, but about how much easier, safer and more fun it makes trail riding.

Most riders over the age of 35 who aren't semi elite level would be better served on the new breed of 120mm travel bikes - they'd be no slower and have way more fun on the downhills.

And shop owners with blinkers on employ people who fits in their narrow minded boxes. So the cycle of ineptitude continues.

There is a Spez store in Somerset West, when one of the shop guys was asked for a tyre in a Black Diamond sidewall he replied with: "No, those are meant for ebikes."

When I walked into the spez store in Stellenbosch looking for shoes, the first question the shop guy asked was what bike I ride. I replied only with " 'n Trance" and he steered me towards the softer soled hike-a-bike friendly shoes. He is a well known racer around here, but at least he knows his market.

Don't get me started on the staff. Legs shaved closer than a super model, -5% body fat, look of disgust when you ask about shoes for flat pedals....

We walked into a local ********* retailer recently.... The lady asked about flat pedal shoes and the guy immediately tells her she has to ride clipless because she is losing 30% efficiency... More like he is losing 30% commission on new pedals and shoes. 

Another sales person also spoke down to her so much because she's a lady and automatically "knows nothing" until she schooled him properly in exactly what she needed for her bike. The guy's jaw dropped the floor. 

The sport in this country is the way it is because big brands don't embrace that mountain biking is a much a leisure activity as it is a competitive sport. 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/425888/silverback-slade-2020

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/424768/silverback-slade-trail-model-mtb

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/426082/trek-roscoe-8

As per my post here 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/186427-100mm-hardtails-are-death-traps/?hl=death+trap

It's not about whether the bike CAN do it, but about how much easier, safer and more fun it makes trail riding.

Most riders over the age of 35 who aren't semi elite level would be better served on the new breed of 120mm travel bikes - they'd be no slower and have way more fun on the downhills.

Sure, I am not saying a trail bike is not better. I am only pointing out the affordability of the Drone.

I get it's Friday and people are scratching for a barney, but I'm not taking the bait.

For the record. The first time I rode the Hoogekraal Cobra - full ride, no getting off, no b-lines (favourite place in Cape Town to be collected by a EMT Helicopter) was on a 80mm XC hardtail. Yes, you read that right. 80mm rockshox XC28 single coil 80mm fork with a 110mm steerer tube with very upright and steep head angles.

My fastest times down Red Pheonix and Neverending Story at Jonkershoek are on that bike.

In 2017 I purchased a Camber 120mm trail full-sus, and it is better on trails for sure, just not as fast.

Lots of hate here for the lycra cladded XC MTB rider (the MTB roadie).

Dont put riders in a box.

Some actually like long day "adventure" riding into the mountains (no not gravel) where there is some mix of technical single track and long pedal climbing and for that a  xc bike/ DC/ short travel trail bike are all suitable.

Not everyone into MTB is just about being "Enduro bros" 

We dont need to be put in a box.

Why cant i ride road, XC Marathon and sometimes Enduro .

Edited by YaseenEnos

Yes it can do 98% of the local trails.

We've been riding 98% of the local trails on hardtails with V-Brakes in 2001 as well.

But the trail bike will be a better tool for the job.

If the OP had racing tendencies, then the Drone would be the better tool for the job.

The Drone might not be badly specced, but for the OP's purpose it is rather incorrectly specced. Quite honestly, your advice is akin to the scenario as experienced by Mrs Dampf.

I can also (and have done so) race the local wpxco races on my trail hardtail. It isn't the fastest tool on the start line, but it is capable of it, and I had fun doing so. And I don't think riding a Spez epic or racy hardtail would have won me more than two places (if at all, I was at the back of the pack, lots of improvement to be had in my athletic performance...)

I reckon for the local fun rides the trail hardtail is the right bike anyway for someone who does not suffer from delusions of grandeur.

okay, let me clear up all the confusion.

I simply pointed to the Titan Drone as a viable, not only option. By all means, get whatever bike suits your fancy.

I am NOT saying a trail bike is the wrong bike. I am NOT saying a XC bike is better.

If you feel like riding Jonkershoek Iron Monkey on a Pinarello Dogma F12 that's your business. All power to you. I will want to be there to witness the epic achievement, so please announce your intentions here before doing it, so a crowd of witnesses to the moment of greatness can gather.

If you want to do the Le Tour on a post office delivery bike, kudos to you. I am not concerned either way.

Be lekker. Ride what you want. Stay safe.

I simply pointed to the Titan Drone as a viable, not only option. By all means, get whatever bike suits your fancy.

I am NOT saying a trail bike is the wrong bike. I am NOT saying a XC bike is better.

If you feel like riding Jonkershoek Iron Monkey on a Pinarello Dogma F12 that's your business. All power to you. I will want to be there to witness the epic achievement, so please announce your intentions here before doing it, so a crowd of witnesses to the moment of greatness can gather.

If you want to do the Le Tour on a post office delivery bike, kudos to you. I am not concerned either way.

You suggested an XC bike in a thread dedicated to the OP wanting a trail bike. 

Can I add my suggestion then that the OP buys a Trek Session? It will do the trails. It might not be as suited as a trail bike but it's still a bike.

Lots of hate here for the lycra cladded XC MTB rider (the MTB roadie).

Dont put riders in a box.

Some actually like long day "adventure" riding into the mountains (no not gravel) where there is some mix of technical single track and long pedal climbing and for that a  xc bike/ DC/ short travel trail bike are all suitable.

Not everyone into MTB is just about being "Enduro bros" 

We dont need to be put in a box.

Why cant i ride road, XC Marathon and sometimes Enduro .

Lycra was mentioned once. By me. Where is the hate exactly? Especially the "lots".

Nobody put anyone in a box. But if the box fits...

Haha I have actually witnessed him ride Iron Monkey on a carbon XC hardtail. I struggled to keep up. But that's unrelated.

OP, get the Slade. It's a phenomenal bike. I would be more than happy to take mine down any black trail in Jonkers or go on a 3 day bike packing trip with it. Trail hardtails are Swiss Army knives and really underrated. And on sizing, I would say Medium on a Slade. At 1.78 I am on a Large, another friend of mine at 1.78 on a Medium - both of us are happy. I think a Large would be a bit big for you.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Lycra was mentioned once. By me. Where is the hate exactly? Especially the "lots".

Nobody put anyone in a box. But if the box fits...

mmmmm..... maybe im a little sensitive on a friday.

Maybe i need to come out of the closet and just say i like feel of lycra on a mtb  :ph34r:

Hahaha, wow that got out of hand quickly. But yes, my mind is made up, I am waiting for the Slade to come into stock again, if i get a 2nd hand one before that I will buy it, if not, I'll buy a new one. 

Thanks for all the help!

Just on the Drone, I did look at it, until I got this trail bike obsession in my head. So it's completely fine to suggest it, as seeing as I am a beginner, we can't really say where I'll end up (XCO or Trail), but I think after everyone's comments it is clear that the trail bike can do some cross country too.

If you feel like riding Jonkershoek Iron Monkey on a Pinarello Dogma F12 that's your business. 

and if you do, please let me know when you're riding it. I wanna watch... (no, not a Rolex...)