Trail bike size

martinza

There are quite a few posts on the topic, but I can't seem to get an answer that I'm happy with.

I am 1.72m tall, and currently ride a medium GT Transeo, I have close to zero experience in mountain biking.

I want to buy a hardtail trail bike for under R20k, and thought of getting a Silverback Slade or Trek Roscoe.

There is a large Roscoe in the classifieds, but according to Trek I should be on a medium or medium/large, however, the slade medium has the same reach as the Roscoe large?

Does this mean I can get the Roscoe large and it will fit more or less the same as the slade medium?

Alternatively, I must just be patient and wait for a medium trail bike to come onto the classifieds...

post-146941-0-83981300-1599741552_thumb.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to go larger on mountainbikes and smaller for road. the longer frames are more stable on trails.

However 1.72 is perhaps short for a L frame. I'm 1.80 and I tend to ride Large (but a 55/56 on the road, which is a M)

Edited by 100Tours

Obvioudly bike sizing is a personal preference, and everyone is different.

I am 1.8, but have proportionaly long legs and arms for my overal size, and a reslatively short torso. 

I ride a large frame, even though I am borderline between medium/large on modern geo trail bikes. I used to be borderline Large/XL on older style bikes, and then I always found the XLs oversized, now I find M frames unddersized. 

My gut feel however would be you would be a little bit short for a Large frame. 

At 1,76 I ride L in some frames, and M in other frames ....

At 1,72 you may be closer to M in most frames .... "most", NOT all ....

Sadly there is little consistancy between manufacturers ...

Okay thanks for the input, that was quick!

On fitting the bike, I don't think I would know what feels right, I think you only get that feeling once you've ridden a lot.

I am going to wait a bit more :)

Okay thanks for the input, that was quick!

On fitting the bike, I don't think I would know what feels right, I think you only get that feeling once you've ridden a lot.

I am going to wait a bit more :)

For the budget you're on, you can look at Titan Drone as well. It is decently specced for R14 950.00 new. Also an option. For another R3K odd you can fit a dropper post, and you're sorted.

Robbie is spot on.

As for the size ... make sure to check the size chart for the bike you are about to buy .... with any luck you are in the middle of the M size.

Your first "comfortable" setup WILL change as your body adapts and gets used to cycling .... initially you may prefer a slightly lower saddle and more upright seating. As the distances increase, and you put down more power you will adopt a more typical setup.

ENJOY the journey

There are quite a few posts on the topic, but I can't seem to get an answer that I'm happy with.

I am 1.72m tall, and currently ride a medium GT Transeo, I have close to zero experience in mountain biking.

I want to buy a hardtail trail bike for under R20k, and thought of getting a Silverback Slade or Trek Roscoe.

There is a large Roscoe in the classifieds, but according to Trek I should be on a medium or medium/large, however, the slade medium has the same reach as the Roscoe large?

Does this mean I can get the Roscoe large and it will fit more or less the same as the slade medium?

Alternatively, I must just be patient and wait for a medium trail bike to come onto the classifieds...

attachicon.gifslade_vs_roscoe_geo.PNG

Geometry wise, there’s more to it than just reach figures to look at even though it’s what’s mostly thrown around.

Reach is the distance between the bb and head tube and will determine how roomy the bike will feel when in a standing position.

But you have to look at seat tube angles and the resultant top tube length for the same given reach figures that will determine your seated riding position.

Two bikes can have the same reach, but a steeper seat tube angle will give you a shorter top tube, which will be more in line with a smaller size.

Speaking of seating, the L Trek has a 470cm seat tube vs the Slades 420 cm. That’s moer long even for your average modern large frame, and will limit the dropper post length you’d be able to fit on there.

And then wheelbase length is also quite important in how stable or agile/nimble a bike will feel/handle. Both are similar, but that long seat tube on the Trek should be a deal breaker for everyone except for those with ostrich legs. The rest of the geo is pretty meh too, imho.

I’d go for the M slade and am the same height, although ape index is high.

Edited by stefmeister

Robbie is spot on.

As for the size ... make sure to check the size chart for the bike you are about to buy .... with any luck you are in the middle of the M size.

Your first "comfortable" setup WILL change as your body adapts and gets used to cycling .... initially you may prefer a slightly lower saddle and more upright seating. As the distances increase, and you put down more power you will adopt a more typical setup.

ENJOY the journey

I am so happy to see someone else say what is happening in my mind considering the amount of isht ive been getting from other guys over my bike setup.

I fitted an air fork to my XC bike a week after buying it as the coilspring fork was a p.o.s. for my weight.

Left the steerer tube as shipped and spaced the stem up.   Also changed the internal setup to 130mm so my hardtail sits like a mullet bike.

Been working my way back to spacing the stem downward week by week and almost flush to headset now, even contemplating dropping back to 110mm on the fork, seat is going higher and higher as the fitness improves.

Might just cut that steerer tube back this weekend.

For the budget you're on, you can look at Titan Drone as well. It is decently specced for R14 950.00 new. Also an option. For another R3K odd you can fit a dropper post, and you're sorted.

Title says trail bike. The titan is a xc bike.

That is true, but it does raise another question, should I really be so stuck on getting a trail bike?

My interest is riding up and down Eden forest and the surrounds in Stellenbosch. I will never race, or ride long distances. That is why I thought I should get a trail bike.

Title says trail bike. The titan is a xc bike.

That is true, but it does raise another question, should I really be so stuck on getting a trail bike?

My interest is riding up and down Eden forest and the surrounds in Stellenbosch. I will never race, or ride long distances. That is why I thought I should get a trail bike.

you say that but.......................

I grew up riding in Eden.

Get the trail bike.

The slacker angles will be more fun, and the capabilities of the trail bike in jumps and in corners make it a lot more forgiving.

I'm going to flip your question around.

Why are so many of us do stuck on riding XC and Marathon bikes? They're less comfy, less capable and has less margin of error to lower skilled riders.

I grew up riding in Eden.

Get the trail bike.

The slacker angles will be more fun, and the capabilities of the trail bike in jumps and in corners make it a lot more forgiving.

I'm going to flip your question around.

Why are so many of us do stuck on riding XC and Marathon bikes? They're less comfy, less capable and has less margin of error to lower skilled riders.

Same reason so many are stuck riding in Lycra suits with clipless pedals. Why? Because that’s what the pros use and what the shop recommended.

Trail riding has been around forever but the local industry simply didn’t promote it enough as a lifestyle / riding option.

Little do they know that an untapped footwear, apparel, and accessory market exists, not to mention the new bike options etc.

Look at a short travel (130mm) trail bike. They are perfectly suitable for long days, marathon stages etc for the everage weekend warrior, but they are a lot more comfortable and a lot more fun than dedicated XC bikes.

Plus, when you really want to rail some berms, or run a jump line, you have the right bike for the job. 

The new genre of "down-country" bikes are starting to narrow the gap between trail and XC bikes as well. But unless your planning on getting into the XCO scene, get a trail bike