Bike size advice - Specialized Tarmac SL6 Pro

peevee

I would appreciate some input on bike sizing for a Specialized Tarmac SL6. I am 185cm tall. The size guide suggests size 56cm frame for height 178 to 183 and 58cm frame from 183 to 191. Should I opt for a size 56cm or 58cm? I currently ride a size 56cm Cervelo R3 which I feel is a good fit. Keen to hear thoughts of those who own or have previously ridden Tarmac models.

I would appreciate some input on bike sizing for a Specialized Tarmac SL6. I am 185cm tall. The size guide suggests size 56cm frame for height 178 to 183 and 58cm frame from 183 to 191. Should I opt for a size 56cm or 58cm? I currently ride a size 56cm Cervelo R3 which I feel is a good fit. Keen to hear thoughts of those who own or have previously ridden Tarmac models.

Hi peevee

I'm 1.86m and have a 2020 SL6 size 61

All my previous road bikes were either a 60 or 59, but I'm really enjoying the 61 and it does not feel to big at all.

Before i bought it I was also not sure about the 61, so i rented a test Tarmac in the same size for a weekend.

As you can see by the pics, the amount of seat post protruding is a sufficient indicator that the 61 is not to big

Ultimately you need to get fitted and measured to see what size will fit you best

Enjoy!!

post-182-0-18376700-1601404482_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-14536100-1601404494_thumb.jpg

Edited by SwissVan

Just to add further confusion.

I'm 1.92m and happily fit my size 58 SL6.

Perhaps find the geometry chart of your current bike and compare it to the SL6 charts. See where the similarities and differences are to figure out the fits. And as SwissVan mentioned, nothing beat the certainty of going for a proper fit.

Hi Peevee ,

I am 1,85m tall and ride a 58 Tarmac SL 6 .

Fits me like a glove . 

My seat height from middle of BB to top of the seat is 78cm .

My opinion: if on the cusp, size up. I'm 1.84m and for a few years was riding a 56 cannondale supersix. I thought I was comfortable but only because I didn't know better. I'm much more comfortable on a size 58 road bike now. There is less saddle-to-bar drop on a bigger bike. I generally got a very sore/stiff lower back if I rode for more than 2 hours on a 56. No lower back pain at all on a 58. Perhaps this is just specific to me though. 

58cm should be fine, but best to try out a test bike if possible.

56 might work with either a longer stem or higher seatpost, depends where your length comes from, longer legs or reach...

I have the SL6 and ride a 56, I am 1.84m tall and suits me well. My mate also has one and he is 1.78m tall and rides a 54. I reckon a 56 would be perfect but dont hold me to it  :whistling:

Unless you like your handlebars way up in the sky, size down rather than up. You can always add a few spacers and a longer stem to a smaller frame, but there's no way to trim your head tube if the stack is too high. It's a racing bike after all, so you will want to be a bit low. If it's uncomfortable at first, add some spacers and do some core work and stretching. Over time remove the spacers and lower your position as you get stronger. 

If you like high handlebars, don't get this bike, get an "endurance" frame that will have a taller head tube and slacker head angle to stabilise the higher bars. I hate to think how that bike in the pics earlier in this thread handles! Probably twitchy as hell.

Edited by openmind

For your height you could ride either. It’s personal preference, but I would go with the 56 and just get a 110 or 120mm stem.