Clutch lever coming loose during rides. 12spd SLX

DR ◣◢

Noticed during my ride today that my clutch is off on my derailleur. Odd thing to happen since it was on last night when I lubed the chain.

Turned it back on and a couple of meters later it’s off again. Rinse and repeat. When it is on i can feel a difference in tension but I think I can be better.

The drivetrain is about 4 months / 500km old. I assume the clutch needs a clean and grease by this time.

So while I’m going down that path is there anything I need to look out for with regards to that lever not locking in place?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys find that the clutch makes a difference? I normally leave mine off because it makes shifting more sticky. I haven't found any real advantage to having it on.

Lots of posts from various fora indicating chain stay damage from clutches that have been left off and the bike doesn't have sufficient protection especially around the chainring area. I would pay particular attention to maintaining the clutch in a Shimano derailleur on an mtb. Actually I'd rather just run a SRAM derailleur on the Shimano shifter and cassette

Do you guys find that the clutch makes a difference? I normally leave mine off because it makes shifting more sticky. I haven't found any real advantage to having it on.

No shifting issues for me.

A quiet bike is a fast bike. I don’t have a single click or squeak on my bike. A thud from a derailleur and chain drives me crazy.

To be honest, I far too focused on the trail and other things to notice any chain clatter. But I definitely do notice that the shifting is stiffer with the clutch on than off. So I tend to just ignore the clutch. That said, I mostly ride my bike with the SRAM GX now which doesn't have a clutch of course. 

To be honest, I far too focused on the trail and other things to notice any chain clatter. But I definitely do notice that the shifting is stiffer with the clutch on than off. So I tend to just ignore the clutch. That said, I mostly ride my bike with the SRAM GX now which doesn't have a clutch of course.

It does, you just can't switch it off like Shimano

Sram has that locking pin to help woth wheel changes

It does, you just can't switch it off like Shimano

Sram has that locking pin to help woth wheel changes

That lock pin really helps !!!

Rebuilt the clutch and set the tension to spec. Concerned to find moisture in there and some rust.

Scary part is the clutch was bone dry and un-tensioned. Great QC from Shimano right there.

I’ll keep an eye on the moisture and dust seeping in and maybe build a better gasket for it. The little rubber one is simply too thin to really work well.

Anyhoo. Fun job to do. Let me get back to crawling on the floor looking for the bolt I dropped.

I think I've seen a few posts where people complain about corrosion in the clutch housing. Seems to be a fairly common problem.

Lots of posts from various fora indicating chain stay damage from clutches that have been left off and the bike doesn't have sufficient protection especially around the chainring area. I would pay particular attention to maintaining the clutch in a Shimano derailleur on an mtb. Actually I'd rather just run a SRAM derailleur on the Shimano shifter and cassette

Which SRAM derailleur and Shimano shifter would that be?

The Shimano 12 speed stuff is really great. I’ve been impressed. I’ve had 12 speed XT installed on a bike since March, but I’ve had to service the derailleur/clutch twice since then. I can imagine that if anyone was getting a bike shop to do this, it would be a costly exercise. It’s only about a 15 minute job, but I can’t recall any derailleur I’ve had in the past needing this much attention.

I am mostly groupset agnostic, it all works so damn well. My recently retired bike had a bastard groupset, SRAM GX 11 speed shifter and rear mech, shimano 11-40 cassette, SRAM front mech (yes it was 2X, heresy i know).

That SRAM rear mech was an absolute pleasure, i started rating it up there with Shimano m520 pedals in terms of reliability. I used that mech for 5 years, never had to fiddle with it after the initial setup. Hell, usually when i replaced the cable i got the tension spot on off the bat.

Now i have Shimano 12 speed SLX on my new bike. It shifts awesome, but this clutch issue worries me. Mate running 11 speed XT and he has to service the clutch. I better get used to the idea quickly.