Can we have an honest conversation about suspension forks

T_Boss

The same reason any other bike does.

Some kiddies on Helderberg, Jonkershoek, Hellsend dirt compound doing double black trails and massive jumps and techy rock gardens at break neck speed - I don't care what we did in the good ol' days - no one can do those trails on rigid bikes and honestly say it's fun.

Don't forget we have a couple of hard men, who will continually remind us...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With RS I think it depends on what breaks. For instance, if you pop the damper bladder on your Pike, you can get spares. I've had no issues with my other fork, a Yari.

The shocks are a different story. My otherwise perfect Monarch Plus was reduced to scrap because the damper shaft developed a stress fracture. No such thing as a spare part anywhere in the world because because RS don't bother making one. Fox on the other hand does have spares for theirs. I've hammered Fox rear shocks in the past - by that I mean using them beyond their intended purpose and never had an issue with the three I've owned. I would not touch another RS rear shock, ever. 

yes on the Gen 1 chargers dampers( which is arguably one of the best products RS have ever made in terms of performance , price , reliablility ect. ) , try Gen 2 /2.1 / whatever or even the xc chargers dampers , once that bladder goes the whole thing is a throwaway 

Yeah RS rear shocks are dogs#it at best 

Edited by BaGearA

The same reason any other bike does.

Some kiddies on Helderberg, Jonkershoek, Hellsend dirt compound doing double black trails and massive jumps and techy rock gardens at break neck speed - I don't care what we did in the good ol' days - no one can do those trails on rigid bikes and honestly say it's fun.

Hey, people are into all sorts of fetishes for heightened sensations of ‘fun’ lol

Ja.... let me rephrase. No one normal will say it was fun hahaha

Hey, some people might not fit your definition of normal

Moulds are for jelly.????

Edited by morneS555

Jewey trying to convince me to do an enduro event on my rigid trail bike haha.

I thinking of biting....carpal tunnel and all. i don't have to be the fastest...just enjoy the day out I reckon. and to be honest, I'm so used to it by now...probably wont even be that bad.

haha, that will be fun in sure......

This weekend I rode a hardtail for the first time in a while. I very decent, XC race type bike, and flip, was it fast on the gravel compared to my full sus...... but, getting a little carried away, flying down a hill on the sir Robert Stanford at about 50km/h, and deciding to jump the little arched bridge over the stream, I was very quickly reminided we I love suspension.

Nothing went wrong, I landed it well, but nothing on earth could prepare me for how fast that hardtail would throw the back wheel up....... I very nearly learned how to do a front flip, without trying......

Enduro on a rigid bike.... thanks but no thanks.....

haha, that will be fun in sure......

This weekend I rode a hardtail for the first time in a while. I very decent, XC race type bike, and flip, was it fast on the gravel compared to my full sus...... but, getting a little carried away, flying down a hill on the sir Robert Stanford at about 50km/h, and deciding to jump the little arched bridge over the stream, I was very quickly reminided we I love suspension.

Nothing went wrong, I landed it well, but nothing on earth could prepare me for how fast that hardtail would throw the back wheel up....... I very nearly learned how to do a front flip, without trying......

Enduro on a rigid bike.... thanks but no thanks.....

Well, it wont be enduro as defined by the bro’s, more like me being timed, cruising down the trails way too slow...bringing up the rear haha. Then on the untimed parts going uphill, i can pass you all and laugh at you at the top for being ‘unfit fatties’ ???????? Edited by morneS555