SRAM Superflow "Enduro" - Strava?

Edge_Design

I don't think I've seen any discussions about the SRAM Superflow virtual event that took place last weekend.

For those that don't know it was a virtual "event" (just a casual fun thing) with segments measured on Strava creating an Enduro type of race.

For those of us who are regulars in Tokai it was a great opportunity to see if we are actually any good at the trails there and to compare ourselves to others on the same tracks in the same conditions. I was quite excited by the idea even if the only prize is bragging rights.

There's a common argument that Strava isn't accurate enough for something like this, but give or take a second or 2 I've found it to be fairly accurate in the past (with a decent device set to record at a high degree of accuracy). What really confused me is it appears that almost all the top riders actively chose to "cheat" even though there are no prizes available. It's clear that riders were:

• Recording on multiple devices to see which gave the best time
  • Recording on phones which are generally less accurate
  • Intentionally setting the GPS accuracy low so Strava has to guess where you are and when you start/finish a track
  • Taking physical shortcuts which they know Strava can't identify in a segment but which are clear when you analyse their ride
  • Etc

It really irritated me as I had some nice runs and would have liked to see where I stood relative to the other riders but you can't really compare any of the results (to be clear I'm not competing for the win)

Just a little rant - no specific question unless someone has any insight into why people are so desperate for recognition that they cheat.

Edited by Edge_Design

Has it occured to you that maybe you are just not as good as you thought you are??? :w00t: 

I dont generally think its worth taking these things so seriously. If you enjoyed yourself, then it was a good day out?

I don't think I've seen any discussions about the SRAM Superflow virtual event that took place last weekend.

For those that don't know it was a virtual "event" (just a casual fun thing) with segments measured on Strava creating an Enduro type of race.

For those of us who are regulars in Tokai it was a great opportunity to see if we are actually any good at the trails there and to compare ourselves to others on the same tracks in the same conditions. I was quite excited by the idea even if the only prize is bragging rights.

There's a common argument that Strava isn't accurate enough for something like this, but give or take a second or 2 I've found it to be fairly accurate in the past (with a decent device set to record at a high degree of accuracy). What really confused me is it appears that almost all the top riders actively chose to "cheat" even though there are no prizes available. It's clear that riders were:

• Recording on multiple devices to see which gave the best time
  • Recording on phones which are generally less accurate
  • Intentionally setting the GPS accuracy low so Strava has to guess where you are and when you start/finish a track
  • Taking physical shortcuts which they know Strava can't identify in a segment but which are clear when you analyse their ride
  • Etc

It really irritated me as I had some nice runs and would have liked to see where I stood relative to the other riders but you can't really compare any of the results (to be clear I'm not competing for the win)

Just a little rant - no specific question unless someone has any insight into why people are so desperate for recognition that they cheat.

I think strava should not allow cell phone for top 10's. 

Yeah, the shortcut thing is not a strava thing either, even timed, unless there is a rope or tape people going to create new lines.

Has it occured to you that maybe you are just not as good as you thought you are??? :w00t: 

I dont generally think its worth taking these things so seriously. If you enjoyed yourself, then it was a good day out?

Think he was more confused as to why people would run multiple devices etc, its just a little strange for a bit of fun on strava.

Think he was more confused as to why people would run multiple devices etc, its just a little strange for a bit of fun on strava.

But then the irony is getting annoyed about it as it's just a little bit of fun on Strava........  :ph34r:

If you went through the trouble of cheating, swapping tires, multiple recordings etc for a funduro with no prizes, you actually have serious problems. If you allow said people with serious problems to get in your head, then they are winning.

Haha!

I was taking my times seriously up until Darryn ripped 12 seconds off me on a segment just over a minute long  :eek:

After that, I changed to "it was just a fun ride..." Which is exactly what it was supposed to be, just fun.

We all know how rubbish Strava is on a micro level, it's only really useful for an overall "roughly where do I fall" picture.

At least I had the weekend's KOM for Mamba to keep my ego inflated   :ph34r: 

Edited by LazyTrailRider

? Not quite sure how to take that response...

I'm not asking for your opinion on whether or not people cheated - it is a simple fact and very clear to see if you're a Strava premium member. I even went out afterwards to check the shortcuts that were obvious on Strava for my interest and you can see where riders were cutting through the bushes (the start of Rinkhals is a good example).

I ride for fun but it's also nice to compare yourself to other much better riders on occasion and this could have been that opportunity. 

I'm just very confused why anyone would feel it necessary to "cheat" in something like this. 

There were some guys that did absolutely incredible times and I can clearly see they are faster than me throughout a segment as opposed to taking 10 seconds in a single corner.

Nope, Garmin or phone, Strava is not consistently accurate enough to be a bona fide race timing system.

There are various tracks at Tokai where it is heinously inconsistent and i'm sure the same is true wherever you ride. Its a lottery. For instance, I did my fastest time on Lizard a few days before the event with a top ten. This was into the wind after not riding it for months as an unfit rider. I have definitely ridden it faster in the past with a tail wind but not according to Strava. 

Rinkhals is another one. I ride it almost every time I'm at Tokai but my times vary by 10-20  secs sometimes which is unlikely. 

My wife crashed a few years back and I rode down with her phone in my pocket ( same phone too) while she had a bakkie ride. My phones time was 10 or more secs quicker down Vasbyt than hers. 

Perhaps if there was a chairlift (or you had an eBike) and could do ten runs down every segment and averaged them you'd have a better idea...

It's just a pity they presumably aren't allowed marshals etc out there in which case they could have used more of the trails than they did.

Nope, Garmin or phone, Strava is not consistently accurate enough to be a bona fide race timing system.

There are various tracks at Tokai where it is heinously inconsistent and i'm sure the same is true wherever you ride. Its a lottery. For instance, I did my fastest time on Lizard a few days before the event with a top ten. This was into the wind after not riding it for months as an unfit rider. I have definitely ridden it faster in the past with a tail wind but not according to Strava. 

Rinkhals is another one. I ride it almost every time I'm at Tokai but my times vary by 10-20  secs sometimes which is unlikely. 

My wife crashed a few years back and I rode down with her phone in my pocket ( same phone too) while she had a bakkie ride. My phones time was 10 or more secs quicker down Vasbyt than hers. 

Perhaps if there was a chairlift (or you had an eBike) and could do ten runs down every segment and averaged them you'd have a better idea...

That's why I mentioned having a good device set to high accuracy. With inaccurate recording Strava struggles to pick up the difference between the finish and the 2nd to last corners on Vasbyt and Rinkhals. Same for the start of Cobra at Hoogekraal and many others where you have a switchback near the start or finish.

Edited by Edge_Design

Post the results

*Strava and Bikehub non premium members

The two lines I rode:

Snake Eyes & Rinkhals

3 Craig Stone Oct 24, 2020 01:05

4 Roger Kerr Oct 24, 2020 01:05

5 Clint Elliott Oct 24, 2020 01:06

6 Myles Kelsey Oct 24, 2020 01:06

7 Greg Ashley Oct 25, 2020 01:06

8 Craig Mackintosh Oct 25, 2020 01:06

9 Jabsi Louw Oct 25, 2020 01:07

10 Mayo Boy Oct 25, 2020 01:07

Main ST (excluding My Roots)

Edited by LazyTrailRider

But then the irony is getting annoyed about it as it's just a little bit of fun on Strava........  :ph34r:

If you went through the trouble of cheating, swapping tires, multiple recordings etc for a funduro with no prizes, you actually have serious problems. If you allow said people with serious problems to get in your head, then they are winning.

Its still a good question why someone would do it though. Its just so strange how even when there is nothing at stake people cheat. 

So what are the chances when there is money etc on the line. 

It's just a pity they presumably aren't allowed marshals etc out there in which case they could have used more of the trails than they did.

We can arrange from our friends at iRideAfrica for timing pods, get TokaiMTB buy in and lets do a proper fun timed race.

Count me in as marshal number 1, I'll be more than happy to offer assistance with admin too...

Guys, it was for fun and there were no prizes.

I don't own a garmin/gps. Would that then make it impossible for me to join in the fun because some people cheated?

Okes, twins each ran half of Comrades so they could win. People cheat. People go through massive lengths to cheat. 

Having a stravaduro was just a way for bikenetwork/tokai/Myles to get some air time and stay relevant. The results don't matter.

Let's not go down this rabbit hole. If I come across rude I'm sorry, but it is petty. 

Be better than the guys who cheated and accept that it honestly doesn't matter and that THEY are the idiots. Right now everyone being petty is as bad as the guys who were petty enough to cheat. You're better than that

Its still a good question why someone would do it though. Its just so strange how even when there is nothing at stake people cheat. 

So what are the chances when there is money etc on the line. 

Bro, look at what you are asking?! 

Look at who Shan Wilson's biggest client base was?

Lance and every cyclist ever...... Do you even cycling bro?!  :ph34r: