Do you really have your fork/shock serviced as per manufacturers recommendation

Wimmas

I always stick the the schedules, it's so much better having a fork working at it's best. Every time I ride my fork/shock after a regular service it feels so much better. Definitely worth the extra cash to keep it running at its best.

A bottle of oil (correct spec), a syringe, brake cleaner, torque wrench, suspension grease and 30 minutes. That is all that is needed to do a lower leg service. Do it every 50 hours. Your fork will thank you and you will feel much better out on the trail

i find the schedules rather "iffy"

50 hours, can easily be extended to 100 hours if you ride a lot, much shorter if you ride occassionaly but in harsh conditions.

so there's a definite case to be made for "feel/intuition"

The 50 hour service is an oil change and inspection. Fresh oil will keep the fork running smoother, and the inspection will tell you if your wipers are still good - manufacturers will tell you to replace wipers every time you drop the lowers, but I've not often found this to be necessary. If the foam rings are dirty it is worth doing to save your stanchions and bushings, but at 50 hours you should be fine unless there's been some pressure washer abuse.

The other part of the inspection is that having the lowers off allows you to test the spring and damper independently. If either are sticky or if the damper has air in it, it's time to do those as well regardless of hours.

I do the lower leg and air can services myself, but then at 100hrs it goes to Stoke or RBC for a full service. By that time the damper oil has worked too hard, and fresh damper oil and fresh lowers oil means it rides a lot better.

But maybe being a truck fleet owner and knowing how important regular services there is to longevity of my vehicles, means that I'm not snoep when it comes to a full suspension service.

Also when you spend the equivalent of a set of carbon wheels on tyres for one axle on one truck, then the bike costs pale into insignificance.

It depends on the type of riding you have been doing. Mud and fine dust, or tar roads? So my rule of thumb for forks with coated aluminium stanchions:

• When you clean/lube the chain - clean the stanchions. I normally turn the bike upside down for this, which sends some oil into the foam rings. Do this regularly!
  • If you replace your chain - then do a lower fork (self?) service.
  • If you replace the cassette - then get a full service, fork and shock, from LBS or pro.

This maybe a bit on the cheap side, but I have not damaged my stanchions - yet.

If you have entry level chrome steel stanchions - ride them until the suspension tells you something is tired.

It depends on the type of riding you have been doing. Mud and fine dust, or tar roads? So my rule of thumb for forks with coated aluminium stanchions:

• When you clean/lube the chain - clean the stanchions. I normally turn the bike upside down for this, which sends some oil into the foam rings. Do this regularly!
  • If you replace your chain - then do a lower fork (self?) service.
  • If you replace the cassette - then get a full service, fork and shock, from LBS or pro.

This maybe a bit on the cheap side, but I have not damaged my stanchions - yet.

If you have entry level chrome steel stanchions - ride them until the suspension tells you something is tired.

It's not often that I say this, but that is terrible advice. A cassette gives me 10,000km. That is roughly 650 hours of riding. That is too long for any damper. 

Something I have been wondering about and have heard many different opinions.

I have a hardtail so only a rockshox fork. Take good care of it. If I service it according to the recommended schedule, it will be quite often and costly.

Some of the guys in my club reckon that they do not stick to schedule as the fork functions fine and sticking to schedule is overkill.

Many of us do not service our own suspension as we do not have the tools / time / know where to source the parts.

Is it really necessary to stick to schedule? Do most people have their forks serviced on schedule or do they wait until problems arise? Would be great to get some honest and professional opinions.

P.s after I posted I realised the title has spelling errors. I hate typing on my phone. If an admin can, please correct it.

9922280c3f73bc9cd07af7a365aa4208.jpg